Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike at the Olympics news roundup< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 30 2012, 08:30

Judging by the overwhelmingly positive reaction on the forums, we're sure that Mike Oldfield fans the world over will join us in congratulating Mike on his contribution to the Olympic opening ceremony on Friday night!

The UK's Sunday Telegraph published a long interview with Mike, including the news that he is currently working on a new rock album.

Some of the same interview material as the Sunday Telegraph interview has also been made available as a video by mikeoldfieldofficial.com. [link]

Mike's specially-created medley from the ceremony is included on the Isles of Wonder opening ceremony soundtrack album, which is available for download now on the iTunes Store. The double CD edition, due for release on August 2nd, is available for pre-order at Amazon (UK / Germany / USA).

On a related note, according to the Manchester Evening News, British music retailer HMV has reported a 757% increase in sales of Tubular Bells since the opening ceremony - the greatest increase for any of the acts who appeared.

Update July 31st: The London Evening Standard has published a roundup of "the stories behind the Opening Ceremony’s most moving moments", including a section on Mike's performance.

The Daily Telegraph is carrying an interview with Mike where he reveals how he left the stadium to watch the ceremony on TV.

The Associated Press has released an article revealing Mike's hope's for a renewed interest in hand-played instrumental music as a result of his opening ceremony appearance.

Update August 3rd: A new interview appears in the Huffington Post where Mike describes how the project developed including a comment about thinking of performing the Blue Peter theme tune at one point.

Mike's opening ceremony piece is available to download as an individual 320kbps MP3 track in the UK from play.com
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 30 2012, 08:50

Congratulations Mike on great success!
Looking forward hearing more about your next album.

Btw. Unfortunately that percussion cam video is personal and can not be viewed. :/
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 08:57

;)  :/  Yes ! Korgy ! do something please ! i would like to watch this video ... weird we could see it last evening and not today ...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 09:13

Bummer! I started putting that post together last night, when it was still working. Not sure there's much I can do apart from take the link down, unfortunately :/
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 30 2012, 09:17

Talking of news items, just spotted this: Sales rocket for olympic opening ceremony music acts/

757% increase in sales of Tubular Bells :O

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 09:50

Quote (Matt @ July 30 2012, 13:17)

I think that's worth me popping in the news post!
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 09:53

:p ... Korgy ? as you are the man of many situations in the forum you could ask to Alasdair himself ?

wow 757 % , good for Mike !
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 10:23

Wonderful news about the resurgence of MO's album sales.

The Two sides compilation is at number 5 on the UK Amazon album chart; Tubular Bells is at number 34.
Great stuff!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 12:37

Just bought the Isles of Wonder album from iTunes. Worth buying just for Mike's track. Love it! My second best track by Underworld is Caliban.
It's a great time for Mike and his fans :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 12:48

Good for sales, but how many of those people (who presumably don't know Oldfield's work too well) will be disappointed because they are buying the 'the original' Tubular Bells, they are actually expecting it to be this new arrangement, or even include "Far Above the Clouds" / "In Dulci Jubilo"?

:/
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 15:24

Quote (Skeletor @ July 30 2012, 12:48)
Good for sales, but how many of those people (who presumably don't know Oldfield's work too well) will be disappointed because they are buying the 'the original' Tubular Bells, they are actually expecting it to be this new arrangement, or even include "Far Above the Clouds" / "In Dulci Jubilo"?

Well the only thing we can do is to help them by offering a good advice when they ask. :)
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 15:37

I've been pointing people to accessible Oldfield on Twitter for a few days now. I've found that QE2 (the track) does the business pretty easily - instrumental, not super long, fun to listen to and with some special guitar work. It's a belter for a new fan.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 15:39

Percussion cam vid back up on You Tube :-

Cam Video

:)
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 15:56

Quote (Skeletor @ July 30 2012, 12:48)

I was wondering the same thing - but then, if they haven't already heard the wholw of TB, they're in for a treat.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 15:58

Quote (Matt @ July 30 2012, 09:17)
Talking of news items, just spotted this: Sales rocket for olympic opening ceremony music acts/

my goodness! Just who hasn't got a copy of this now?!

hehe
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 17:15

Quote (HuanCry @ July 30 2012, 21:39)
Percussion cam vid back up on You Tube :-

Cam Video

:)

:)  :) Thanks a lot !!!  ;)
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 23:13

Just think of the original Tubular Bells as the gateway drug.

Heck, that's how it started for me all those years ago, then got "The Complete" soon after. I ended up liking the later albums more but TB is a fine place to start.

Myself, I'm picking up Isles of Wonder because of the new Underworld stuff as well.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 23:31

Mike working on a rock album, well that'll be interesting :O and that just proves that he reads this forum because someone suggested that he should do rock type album :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 03:28

Quote (gths @ July 30 2012, 23:13)
Just think of the original Tubular Bells as the gateway drug.

Heck, that's how it started for me all those years ago, then got "The Complete" soon after.

It's exactly experiences like this that make me defend the compilations. They are excellent things for new fans to have.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 05:27

And Mike left the Olympic Stadium early to watch on telly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....ly.html

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
58 replies since July 30 2012, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net