Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike at the Olympics news roundup< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 07:00

“There was a chap on our bus and I said, ‘Who’s that?’ and they said, ‘Dizzee’ and I didn’t know who he was. I didn’t think he had a clue who I was either, but after rehearsals he seemed to warm to me. By the time we got on stage we were practically doing high fives.”

Now that made me chuckle, Dizzee Rascal and Mike Oldfield high fiving!!! How surreal is that!

“I hope that young people realise that’s not a computer playing, that’s a real human being playing different instruments. It’s beautiful and handmade. Hopefully it will inspire some kind of renaissance in instrumental rock music.”

Well you've certainly inspired me Mike...check out http://andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com/album/mohribold for the evidence!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 08:42

;) Andrew ? sorry i don't understand what means the last phrase he said and the firt too anyway lol ... i'm French ...a bit difficult for these ones .
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 10:34

I'm guessing it's the high five that is lost in translation?

A high five is a gesture in which two people slap their raised right palms together; a behaviour which seems to be having a renaissance itself at the moment!:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 11:02

:D No no ! " high five " is also used in France : " Tapes en cinq !!! "
...no i'm asking what he means when he talk about computer playing ....

;)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:50

Quote (Tubular Tos @ July 31 2012, 16:02)
:D No no ! " high five " is also used in France : " Tapes en cinq !!! "
...no i'm asking what he means when he talk about computer playing ....

;)

I think Mike is referring to the fact that Tubular Bells was performed by hand by a musician, rather than programmed on a computer - like most of the rubbish produced nowadays.

:)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 14:28

Another MO interview here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports....b1.html

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 16:02

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 31 2012, 14:28)
Another MO interview here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports....b1.html

Nice to see Mike praising Underworld. Now that would be some duet if they over got it together. Oh please, please please,

Last time Mike went on an anti technology used in music rant it was shortly before Amarok came out. I'd so love history to repeat itself.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:25

I hope that Mike likes Underworld's almost totally forgotten early Level 42 style stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqBd7-L5NA

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:37

Quote (TOBY @ July 31 2012, 21:02)
nice to see Mike praising Underworld. Now that would be some duet if they over got it together. Oh please, please please,

Last time Mike went on an anti technology used in music rant it was shortly before Amarok came out. I'd so love history to repeat itself.

And I Will Kiss is sooo TSODEish with a Underworld feel.
It was one of the loops from this tune that showed their trademark sound that I recognised on And I Will Kiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDQTk60ISE

...it couldn't have been written by MO since the lack of his trademarks.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:40

;) Thanks Pat  ! ok so i understood well ! ... i think he's a bit harsh with computers and music softwares , we can do very nice and airy things with them ...

..and in the interview he said "let"s throw away computer software but i'm sorry he still need them to record his guitars and mix them ...

He can play a bunch of instruments maybe that's why he said that  :p
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 19:30

It is possible that he could do a totally organic album without digital software in any of the recording and mixing processes at all.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 05:00

Nah - Such good news - I wasn't prepared for that! Haha. Friend of mine sent me that hopeful info and since then I feel a way to excited to think about my issues. Mike's interviews always make me feeling that way :) Anyway - anyone of you have that interview form MOJO? I'd like to read it without purchasing that magazine. I've got a Tubular Bells/In Dulci Jubilio from Olympics - http://www.sendspace.pl/file/dc4490a6420fe430a839b57  that's when you can download it. Press the 'pobierz' button at the end of a page.  :p
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 12:41

Some interesting quotes from Mike after appearing at the opening ceremony in a story on the Classic rock site:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news....t-music
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 03:09

I am so freakin' proud of Mike and so freakin' happy that across the world, and especially in America, Mike is finally getting the credit and the appreciation he truly deserves!!!!  And, I really hope his music inspires others to seek out a real instrument and put down their MACs!!!!  I will be happy to the point of crying if music heads back in the direction of full blown beautiful instrumentals and real instruments and kicks out all the record execs who want cheezy ass pop singers!!!
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 04:48

I was thinking the other day...probably Danny Boyle will receive a knighthood because of the Olympics. Maybe it's the time for Mike to receive something too (MBE? OBE? KBE?) combining both TB and his Olympic appearence - you've got Sir Richard Branson for a quite good years on!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:09

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 02 2012, 09:48)
I was thinking the other day...probably Danny Boyle will receive a knighthood because of the Olympics. Maybe it's the time for Mike to receive something too (MBE? OBE? KBE?) combining both TB and his Olympic appearence - you've got Sir Richard Branson for a quite good years on!

Sir Mike Oldfield has a nice ring to it, don't you think?  ;)

Somehow though, I think that might be a bit on the unlikely side. I could see an OBE, a CBE or an MBE in time, but only if he continues to remain in the general public consciousness after the Olympics has long past...

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:25

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 02 2012, 10:09)

Somehow though, I think that might be a bit on the unlikely side. I could see an OBE, a CBE or an MBE in time, but only if he continues to remain in the general public consciousness after the Olympics has long past...

Same here...I can see an OBE,a CBE or an MBE for Mike - even Gary Barlow (ouch) got an OBE after that silly Diamond Jubilee concert. A knighthood would be that perfect dream.

I was re-reading MO's Telegraph interview and I noticed how mature he's become in the past 3 years.I'm very proud of him for accepting the challenge to perform at the opening ceremony,leaving all that blurred past behind! What an inspiration to all!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:48

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 02 2012, 10:25)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 02 2012, 10:09)

Same here...I can see an OBE,a CBE or an MBE for Mike - even Gary Barlow (ouch) got an OBE after that silly Diamond Jubilee concert. A knighthood would be that perfect dream.

I was re-reading MO's Telegraph interview and I noticed how mature he's become in the past 3 years.I'm very proud of him for accepting the challenge to perform at the opening ceremony,leaving all that blurred past behind! What an inspiration to all!

Perhaps he'll consider doing a concert or two or even a limited tour to promote his new rock album.

I know he's never been one to really want to push himself forward and he perhaps still finds it a bit of a challenge, but I'm hoping he might realise after this Olympic appearance just how well regarded he is and how much support he would garner if he did. There's a great demand for his music, especially live in concert - any slated performances would sell out quite quickly I reckon, especially in the UK.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 06:06

:)  :)  :)  ohh yes a concert ..for sure i'll go there with all my family : wife Fanny and my two daughters ! ..just to show her how he's good !!! lol ...they always say to me " oh God you're mad with Oldfield , and you're really annoying with that ! " lol  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 08:17

Really hoping for some live gigs. I would definitely go and that would be one of my unfulfilled ambitions come true if he does this.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
58 replies since July 30 2012, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net