Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike and David Bedford, 1972< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 19 2008, 04:51

Here's a photo I'd never seen before. It's a scan from David Bedford's "Nurses Song With Elephants" CD.

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2008, 15:13

That photo was actually taken in 1976 at Througham. The first time I saw it was in David Bedford's house amongst his collection. I think it was taken by Trevor Key.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2008, 16:03

I see. I assumed it was taken during the sessions for Nurses Song With Elephants, in which Mike participated, if only on bass guitar. But 1976 makes sense, with the amount of marimba on Mike's music of that period. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I think it's a lovely picture - they both seem so into what they're doing. :)
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2008, 16:53

Yes it is a lovely picture.
I decided to use it as one of my magazine covers soon after I interviewed David Bedford. I'm glad it was also used on an album cover - but wasn't it "Variations on a rhythm by Mike Oldfield" issued by Voiceprint?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2008, 17:04

I wasn't aware of that, but that cover indeed looks like an edited version of this picture. I don't think I would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it though. I scanned the picture from the inside of the booklet of the Nurses Song With Elephants CD reissue, also by Voiceprint.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 01:13

Nice picture. I'm not sure why it's so appealing but, with two attractive guys making music, what's not to like? I also really dig Mike's outfit, there. Are they in their socks?

(PS: Has Mike always had perfect hair, or what??)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 02:03

Their pant style is called elephant leg in France.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 19:15

@ Olivier, that's the way it's called in Italy as well. :D

@ Holger: thanks, very nice pic. Bedford looks a bit like the late Michael Kamen...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 20:01

Or bell bottoms.  ;)

Good spot on the "Variations" album cover.To be honest I`m not even sure I`ve ever wondered what that picture actualy was?I think I just kind of looked at it and accepted it as something way over my head.A bit like the album itself unfortunatly.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 04:04

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 21 2008, 02:01)
I think I just kind of looked at it and accepted it as something way over my head.A bit like the album itself unfortunatly.

Indeed... I really like David's music, inculding a lot of his "weirder" stuff, but that one is just a bit too much...
Profile PM 
9 replies since Aug. 19 2008, 04:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net