Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike among The Word's Coolest Uncool People< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2008, 18:32

Mike is listed as a coolest uncool people in the July edition of The Word UK music magazine, along with Richard Branson, Phil Colins, and Margaret Thatcher.

Thank you Bee!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2008, 18:33

I'm sure the journalist find Amarok full of very cool references (too bad Phil Collins is in QE2 instead).
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 05 2008, 19:36

For me he's cool and his coolness makes the whole difference to me...and I love it so much \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 19:40

Cool.  :p
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 00:44

So, since I think MO is cool, that means I'm uncool? Cool!  :cool:  I like being in with the 'un' crowd. But, wait, they're saying these uncool people are cool? I'm so confused - am I cool or not??  :O

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 03:30

Yessir, I guess stoopid magazines(and TV shows) propogate in other places besides America. It's funny to compare them. Quite the same really.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 07:28

:)

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 07:41

Rolling Stone magazine`s 50 coolest/50 uncoolest albums list.

So here`s a musical way of checking just how cool/uncool you really are.According to my calculations I own 11 albums on the cool list,and 4 on the uncool list.Which given that I`m of the opinion that Rolling Stone magazine is a pretty uncool publication is maybe not so cool as it might appear.Or as Marge Simpson put it,after asking if kids still said cool anymore.. "So I guess it`s cool to be uncool...Yup..It`s hip to be square. "

Lisa Simpson: "That song is so lame."

Can`t believe I just quoted The Simpsons,man that is so uncool..."Are you being sarcastic dude?..Man I don`t even know anymore? "
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 12:49

If this was taken  from a public vote one can read a little into that.
If it was put together by a 'creative' - journalist or group scratching their heads frantically hoping to fill a couple of blank pages of their publication before soon going to press.Why even bother musing over this none sense .way uncool wasting your time on these individualist manufactured clap trap. :zzz:   :)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 18:04

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 06 2008, 04:44)
So, since I think MO is cool, that means I'm uncool? Cool!  :cool:  I like being in with the 'un' crowd. But, wait, they're saying these uncool people are cool? I'm so confused - am I cool or not??  :O

Hey Sweetpea maybe it's cool to be uncool    :O  :cool: . I think being fashionable or cool is more to having your own sense of style rather than following the herd. I'm so uncool it's cool :O .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 20:55

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 06 2008, 07:41)
According to my calculations I own 11 albums on the cool list,and 4 on the uncool list.Which given that I`m of the opinion that Rolling Stone magazine is a pretty uncool publication is maybe not so cool as it might appear.

albums on the 'cool' list: 1
albums on the 'uncool' list: 2

I'm going to take that to mean my coolness level is so far beyond their comprehension that their lists can't begin to measure it. Hehe.

Quote (James @ July 06 2008, 12:49)
If this was taken  from a public vote one can read a little into that.
If it was put together by a 'creative' - journalist or group scratching their heads frantically hoping to fill a couple of blank pages of their publication before soon going to press.

Interesting question, that - if it actually had public input or if it was just pulled out of their, errr... you know. And I agree; it's all nonsense, anyway.

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 06 2008, 18:04)
I'm so uncool it's cool

You don't have to convince me of your coolness, moonchildhippy.  :)

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 06 2008, 07:28)

I seem to recall reading something, here, that made me chuckle. Now, it's gone. Perhaps it was one of those 'For a limited time only!' things? I feel both deprived that it's gone, and privileged that I'd caught it earlier.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 05:25

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 07 2008, 01:55)

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 06 2008, 07:28)

I seem to recall reading something, here, that made me chuckle. Now, it's gone. Perhaps it was one of those 'For a limited time only!' things? I feel both deprived that it's gone, and privileged that I'd caught it earlier.

Yeah it gave me a laugh as well.Maybe only the cool people were meant to see it?  :cool:
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 06:37

Yeah my earlier post, I thought I'd add to it and ended up with just the smiley, but it goes along these line's.
Ahem, cool and uncool together is a good thing, especially if you do it naturally, like I said it happen's if you allow yourself to be blown around by the breeze, for example;
if you see a man wearing £200 sunglasses
                                 £3 Tshirt
                                 £150 walking boot's
                                 £10 Asda khaki short's
Driving around in a 12yr old cherry red Fiat Punto, window's down blaring out Mike oldfield's music, it's me.
like before, maybe not the greatest example but as far as I'm concerned;cool as Funk.
Now I know you're thinking how do we see this attire if the said gentleman is behind the wheel of a Punto, easy, I drive with the door's open as well.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 09:19

How strange that of the other uncool people 3 are featured somehow in Mike's career. Obviously Richard Branson heading up Virgin Records, Phil Collins playing drums on QE2 (the person that ship was named after is also pictured!) and of course Margaret Thatcher makes an appearance on Amarok,  albeit an impression of her. I think that makes us lot especially uncool, but hey, who cares!? Not me, I'm cool with that!

Got to say I'm glad Mike's not worked with any of the others, though to be fair there's probably a bootleg somewhere in the world with Rolf Harris introducing the instruments on Tubular Bells; "Do you know what it is yet.....that's right, it's two slightly distorted guitars, don't they sound just great...a-hoo-hoo-ha-ha-a-hoo-hoo-ha-ha"....
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 07 2008, 16:37

I find it weird that they mentioned Richard Branson signing Faust (awesome), Can (awesome) and The Sex Pistols (not so awesome), but not Mike Oldfield. I mean, it was a quite obvious, opportune self-reference for them to make. As for Collins or Thatcher, well, there are a lot more fans of Tubular Bells than there are fans of QE2 and Amarok combined...

That list of cool/uncool albums is rather bizarre, innit? I mean, since when, in the whole history of the world, is Sparks uncool? And why oh why is White Light/White Heat, the album with BOTH The Gift AND Sister Ray, should be the #1 coolest album ever, sharing the list with Massive Attack, Björk and Joy Division? Anyway, the albums I have:

Cool: White Light/White Heat (meh), Protection (yet to listen to it), Revolver (meh), Vespertine (excellent), Station to Station (great), Unknown Pleasures (great), In a Silent Way (brilliant), For Your Pleasure (excellent) - AND I have a couple of Aphex Twin's releases WHICH ARE NOT COMPILATIONS, you bastards!

Uncool: Actually (great) and Kimono My House (excellent). 8 vs. 2. Whatever.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 17:37

Aahh, so there is an album list, where's that then?

And since when has Aphex Twin been anything but damn cool?
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 17:40

I'm going to reply to myself on this one!!

It's in Dark Star's post above.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 17:50

I always thought of myself as "uncool cool" - meaning I know everyone else thought I was uncool and I was cool with that.

Then I got kids (a very serious infection) and now I know I'm just "uncool".

Even though I'm friends on myspace with some very cool musicians!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 01:26

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 07 2008, 06:37)
...a man wearing £200 sunglasses
                                 £3 Tshirt
                                 £150 walking boot's
                                 £10 Asda khaki short's
Driving around in a 12yr old cherry red Fiat Punto, window's down blaring out Mike oldfield's music...

Or, in my case... a woman wearing wire-rimmed (and Super-Glued) eyeglasses, a RE-PC t-shirt and Hello Kitty hair clips, driving around in an eight-year old Dodge Neon with leopard-print car seat and duct-taped side mirror*, with the window down blaring out Mike Oldfield music. How much cooler could one get, I ask you?

* Actually, it's fixed now. Yay.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 03:28

Regarding olracUK's comments about kids and being uncool.....apparently i hold the distinction of being the coolest dad in my younger 2's school "he has long hair,plays guitar AND is in a band".Unfortunatley my oldest is now in high school and god alone knows what the kids there think.
Cool is a really strange subject.What is cool?I don't consider myself cool (except my tastes in music....left of centre every time)particuarly,but by the same token i'm not too bothered.
But my kids think i'm cool so that's fine cos they're very cool kids. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
54 replies since July 05 2008, 18:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net