Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: micheal jackson dies, is this real< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 07 2009, 15:01

Suddenly I remember this MO/MJ related anecdote; at one point in the mid 80s Michael Jackson rang up Mike to tell him how he loved Tubular Bells (or something like that) but Mike thought that it was just Richard Branson who was trying to be funny, so he started replying in that typical Mickey Mouse-type Michael Jackson voice. Eventually Michael hang up on Mike. I wonder if they ever spoke again?   :/

I think I got this from the Richard Branson self-bio. I don't have it at hand...
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Crises in the Kitchen Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 17:01

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ June 25 2009, 18:22)
Apparently M Jackson has died, can't be surely.

Who is he?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 07 2009, 19:59

Quote (3Wheeler @ July 07 2009, 03:37)
Jackos Albums have just alternated the No1 Spot Position..1st time this has Happened since Mike Oldfield Achieved the Feat in the 70s it seems.. :cool:

That riles me up a bit. People waited for Jackson to die so they would buy his albums??

I'm not breaking new ground here, but it still sucks. Do people have the "moral duty" to buy Michael Jackson records now that he's dead? Why not before? Sadly, this will all be a fad, and in a while people will forget him altogether. Well, not exactly "forget", but just stop caring. Nevertheless, the man has earned his place in history (HIStory?), and that's what matters.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 04:47

Quote (larstangmark @ July 07 2009, 20:01)
Suddenly I remember this MO/MJ related anecdote; at one point in the mid 80s Michael Jackson rang up Mike to tell him how he loved Tubular Bells (or something like that) but Mike thought that it was just Richard Branson who was trying to be funny, so he started replying in that typical Mickey Mouse-type Michael Jackson voice. Eventually Michael hang up on Mike. I wonder if they ever spoke again?   :/

I think I got this from the Richard Branson self-bio. I don't have it at hand...
Lars T

:laugh: Hilarious!I can just picture Mike`s face on the end of the phone there.A tv presenter over here(Dermot O` Leary)who recently spoke to Jackson for a documentary in relation to those ill-fated comeback gigs.Said that when he spoke to Jackson off camera he just spoke like a normal guy.You know the whole "high pitched/little boy lost" thing was all just an act I guess.

@Sir M..To some extent I actualy feel some people are actualy attempting to re-write history imo.I saw somebody yesterday(can`t remember who)making a big deal of Jackson being the first black artist to be broadcast on MTV for instance.You know I was kind of left thinking.."So. what?..MTV was in a state of apartheid until that moment is that it"?..I don`t know it seems to me that some people are not content with Jackson being the former King Of Pop.But they are now in fact trying to make him into the Martin Luther King of pop.Which given the whole amount of effort he seemed to put into distancing himself from the entire black community anyway.Well I find it a little bit ludicrous to say the least.(I nearly said "beyond the pale" there,without trying to think of a crappy pun)

The "buying frenzy" is a little bit insane though I agree.Not to mention "hypocritical" of many I dare say.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 13:07

I can't even imagine MO and MJ conversing in any way, form or fashion. Not only were they in 2 seperate ballparks, they were in seperate universes! That is funny though. I'd love to hear a recording of that conversation. That would be cool. Anybody familiar with the movie "Sling Blade" circa 1996 with Billy Bob Thornton? He plays a semi-retarded guy who killed his mom and a guy she was having sex with, then spends years in a nut house and is released? Somebody made a soundboard of Thornton(AKA Karl Childers) in the movie, audio clips....."What chu got good in there to eat um hmm?" You can go to Youtube and hear prank calls of Karl calling restaurants, chinese, IHOP, mexican......funny stuff. "you got french fried taters in there mm hmm?" The prank caller calls a minister. Clicks on the .wav file "Bible says 2 men ought not lay together mm hmm. I read the bible, I reckon I understand some of it mm hmm." Fun stuff. I frayed another thread, oh well! It's what I do for fun mm hmm!
Scatter-the-thread-Plot

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 13:22

He was a good musician and entertainer, and i'm really shocked that he's died.  I really liked his songs and lyrics and he was an excellent dancer. But I think along the way and possibly due to his childhood too, he deffinately ended up to have a high sense of self and developed a lot of defence mechanisms in order to cope with the abuse from his father. No doubt throughout his life he was encouraged to think himself as more superior than other people. In fact you can see the early signs of Narcissism in his music videos, and in the film 'moonwalker.'  He always had to be the centre of attention in everything and cause mystery about his character. His character in moonwalker turns into cars and different metamorphisis, which is basically how he saw himself in real life.  Its such a great shame he ended up the way he did.

I saw a clip on the news at the time of the allegations where he said ' I'm a very resilient person; I feel that I have a suit of armour on' that and other things he said caused me to question his innocence or guilt concerning allegations.

Was it to just protect himself or was it to protect something he had actually done?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 07:00

I watched his funeral a bit.

Say what you like about him, they shouldn't have buried him in a Staples.

It's like getting buried at Asda.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 09:32

I've stayed a million miles from this but.......
I respect what he did as a musician and he was undeniably a fine musician/dancer/entertainer.He was also a very messed up person.I don't think it was all his fault as his story has been widely told how his father beat him and how he never had a childhood but paradoxically never grew up.In that respect i felt very sorry for him.
 Howver there seems now to be this thing that he was some kind of saint and the greatest musician that ever lived.Ok he was huge in his time but how much of that was hype.He only released a handfull of albums since Off The Wall which marked the real start of his solo career.He had a well oiled publicity machine behind him.All his biggest albums were milked for all they were worth (Bad had just about all the songs released as singles).How can he have been such a great musician with so little product over such a long time?
 All the allegations aside (of which i will not go near out of respect)this sudden frenzy smacks of a sudden "wow he was cool" bandwagon scene.His career was not going anywhere fast and his sales weren't massive and then he's gone.No disrespect but a little perspective here please.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 16:16

I have mixed feelings about MJ's passing.

I do think it's sad that some of the brightest Artists/Actors/Musicians/Poets, etc, have such short but complicated lives. They burn bright but not always for long. I admit I have a couple of MJ's CDs and his musicial craftsmanship is nothing short of immaculate. He knew how to move people with his art and he was a perfectionist as far as his recordings, though I agree with others he probably never experienced a typical or normal childhood. Fame has its price. I'm not in his shoes so I refuse to judge him.

More importantly to me, his music was a big part of my late 20's and 30's and I'm grateful for that. Of course his CDs are selling like crazy right now! People want to own a little piece of history (HIStory). Still, I wish his family and children the best and I am saddened by his passing.

I'm also saddened by Farrah's passing as she was truly an American icon back in the late 70's, (and I did have the now infamous swimsuit poster but tossed it in the early 80's!;)

I hope both MJ and Farrah find peace...
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2009, 14:57

(larstangmark @ July 07 2009, 20:01)
Suddenly I remember this MO/MJ related anecdote; at one point in the mid 80s Michael Jackson rang up Mike to tell him how he loved Tubular Bells (or something like that) but Mike thought that it was just Richard Branson who was trying to be funny, so he started replying in that typical Mickey Mouse-type Michael Jackson voice. Eventually Michael hang up on Mike. I wonder if they ever spoke again?  

A Brittish newspaper also mentioned it:
-----
Name that did not ring a bell

Reclusive rock star Mike Oldfield nearly missed out on the chance of a lifetime working with Michael Jackson - because of his cleaning lady!

Mike was locked away in the studio of his Buckinghamshire manor house when the gloved one telephoned. He had heard Mike's theme music for the film The Killing Fields and was so impressed that he wanted the Tubular Bells star to work on an album with him. But a cleaning lady took a message from Jackson and didn't even bother to tell her boss until he finally emerged from the studio 10 hours later. "She casually mentioned that a Mr Jackson called and said there was a number by the telephone." said bemused Mike. "I didn't realise who it was until I rang up and heard him on the other end of the line." The two are now planning to get together in Los Angeles in the New Year.
-----
Of course there never was any collaboration between them. As far as I remember Mike said in an interview that he cancelled the meeting shortly thereafter.

(Admins - you may add the transcript to the articles section if you like).
Profile PM 
29 replies since June 25 2009, 18:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net