Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MFTB=Ommadawn 3?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2012, 05:19

Every now and again I visit Heaven's Open. I think it's perhaps Oldfield's most under-rated album. OK it sounds cheesy and over produced at first but after repeated listens it's sheer creativity comes to the surface and the album is revealed as something brilliant.

Anyway, I listened yesterday and two of Music From The Balcony's (MFTB) main motifs got stuck in my head. Once they went round a few times I realised that they are variations of two of the main motifs from Ommadawn Part 1. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've read that the Heaven's Open album was recorded at the same time as Amarok and as that was supposed to be a "grown up version" of Ommadawn perhaps it's no surprise to find that MFTB might also be a continuation in that vein.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: May 19 2012, 18:32

If anything, "Music From the Balcony" is stuff that wasn't good enough to go on "Amarok", although there are 2 themes in the piece that I love. The one from 00:50-1:16/2:12-2:37 and the one from 13:31-13:55/18:18-19:05.

Can you be more specific about the parts you feel sound like variations on themes from "Ommadawn"? What times in both pieces exactly?
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 19 2012, 20:31

I love MftB and don't think it should be compared to Amarok too much, but I'd also be curious to know which parts exactly come from Ommadawn, as I've never noticed that myself.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 21 2012, 09:30

The tune at 02:39 in Music From the Balcony sounds to me like a variation on the Ommadawn theme heard at 06:10 in Part One. Obviously both tunes are themselves changed and morphed within their respected larger pieces also.

The other is heard at 06:04 in Music From the Balcony which sounds like a variation of the main Ommadawn intro riff. As with the first one; hum the MFTB tune to yourself then Ommadawn and you should find that they are closely related.

There is a thread somewhere on tubular.net that lists related tunes. I read that Ommadwn and the first section of Incantations part 3 are also variartions of the same theme which is indeed true. I'm sure you'll find more if you dig deep. Whilst listening this morning I heard one between MFTB and Weightless from TBII.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since May 19 2012, 05:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net