Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Metro France article< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:03

Mike says in French newspaper Metro that "modern rock only recycles old stuff" and "it would be cool that someone made a rock version [of Music of the Spheres]", "[he doesn't] want to make others pieces" and that "music has been a therapy for a long time, but not anymore." "Usually, people use my music on cars, milk and even towels ads. It would be great if it was used in movies."

Merci, Aurélien Duvallet et Tubular Tos
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:13

Hmm, if that is true, that is certainly disappointing, but not entirely unanticipated. It only remains for me and others here if they wish to join me in saluting Mike for his numerous contributions to our lives and wish him well with the rest of his life, with many years to come in good health.

Thank you Mike.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 21:51

;) Just found it ! It's in a PDF format

http://metrofrance.com/fr/pdf/index.xml

You have to click on the Paris edition 2008-03-18 and page 21 !

:D The written sentence under the title means : " Mike signs a classical album . Don't ask especially why ! "  :D  The author also wrote : " I'm going to put a sign here with the word WHY scratched by two red stripes . Mike Oldfield refuses to answer the questions beginning with the word Why "  :D

EDIT : First link doesn't work ! Here is the direct link !

http://www.readmetro.com/show/fr/Paris/20080318/1/21/
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 22:31

Interesting how in both this and the Spiegel articles, Mike complains about Rock music recycling the old. Of course, the author of the Spiegel article seems to find plenty of cause to accuse Mike of the same...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 04:39

Its also interesting that Mike yet again accuses rock music of being dead yet obviously, from what he's said in the past about never listening to to other peoples music, doesn't listen to any of it himself..... Very positive stuff obviously. And Mike wonders why there's so much negativity and aggression in the world.  

Just because you're bored of music Mike doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 04:43

So rock is dead ay? Well I guess that rules out the heavy metal album then.

Maybe the mainstream of rock has become mostly predictable I agree.Although that does`nt mean to say that there aren`t any great songwriters out there coming up with great new songs because there are numerous.And outside of the mainstream there`s absolutely tons of innovative stuff out there if you`re prepared to dig a little bit.Such as Radiohead`s new album.or Andy Partridge`s Monstrance project. Or bands like Explosions In The Sky.Or some of the work by blues guitarist Derek Trucks.Or crossover artists like Shooglenifty or the sadly now deceased Martyn Bennett.Or people like Sigur Ros.And these are just a few people off the top of my head and I consider myself to have pretty conservative musical tastes really.Come on Mike man get a grip.

If Mike had said something along the lines of that he`d become bored by rock music then that would be fair enough.Sometimes I`m bored by it myself.During which times I tend to listen to other types of music.Sometimes even classical music if I`m going way out on a limb(for me anyway.)

And to go on about recycling old ideas was quite frankly asking for trouble.Think I`ll have to listen to some good old fashioned punk now to calm myself down a bit.Hopefully it wont result in my kids going outside and terrorising the neighbourhood though.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 05:03

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 19 2008, 04:43)
And outside of the mainstream there`s absolutely tons of innovative stuff out there if you`re prepared to dig a little bit.Such as Radiohead`s new album.or Andy Partridge`s Monstrance project. Or bands like Explosions In The Sky.Or some of the work by blues guitarist Derek Trucks.Or crossover artists like Shooglenifty or the sadly now deceased Martyn Bennett.Or people like Sigur Ros.And these are just a few people off the top of my head and I consider myself to have pretty conservative musical tastes really.Come on Mike man get a grip.

Great stuff.

I just discovered an amazing German act called Marz the other day. I don't know how such amazingly melodic and generally beautiful chilled out instrumental music could have escaped me for so long. Ok its not rock but there is great rock music being made out there ( I would have to give a big shout out to my friends The Aliens at this point) if you search for it. Which is of course something Mike should do if only he could channel his considerable and it seems unquenchable enthusiasm for endlessly moaning about the weather/state of Britain in press interviews back into making music if not appreciating other peoples efforts. Can't see it ever happening unfortunately.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:13

Have`nt heard of either of those two Toby thanks for the recommendations.I`ll keep my eyes and ears peeled accordingly.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly there as well.For a man whose music can have such a poisitve emotional effect on people his interviews can sure exude a hell of a lot of negativity sometimes.You know it would be maybe nice of him to tell us just how much he loves Spain for a change rather than pulling the UK to bits all the time.So Ok there are numerous problems in this country I agree.But anybody who has seen some of the reaction to black and foriegn footballers playing out there by so called Spanish supporters definitely tells me that it is far from a harmonious  utopia that`s for sure.

I don`t know maybe it`s just because I find myself dis-agreeing with Mike more and more these days?So maybe it`s all down to my bloody negativity and nothing more.The man is entitled to his opinion after all,and I`ll always love his music regardless of anything he may have to say.As far as Mike`s own musical tastes go these days though I do think it`s a real shame that he does`nt seem to want to be prepared to open his mind to anything new anymore.The guy`s 55 years old not 105.I`ve got a 91 year old grandmother who is still listening to pop & rock music and still so full of great spirit and life it`s unreal sometimes.Although in fairness she does tend to spend a lot of her spare time glass painting and not composing emotionally charged 45 minute quasi-classical compositions..           :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 12:31

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 19 2008, 00:31)
Interesting how in both this and the Spiegel articles, Mike complains about Rock music recycling the old. Of course, the author of the Spiegel article seems to find plenty of cause to accuse Mike of the same...

If Mike says this regarding mainstream rock,I agree with him.New bands,nothing new,recycling ideas with a new wrap.Only a few bands have added more to the music scene,but the rest it's real crap,IMHO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since Mar. 18 2008, 18:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net