Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Medal in the Bird Cave, Where is it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 06 2008, 20:27

I've just started playing Maestro - what a great game! I'm having trouble,though, finding the medal in the Cave. I read on one ofthe forums that it's beside a small pool, but I've searched the length of the stream (underwater as well), and can't find it. Can anyone shed any light here?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 02:47

Locate the large pillars in the cave. One of them is set a little apart from the others and there's a pool near its base - see here. The medal is on a small platform by the pool, see here.

You'll find help in locating all the medals here, and lots of other help in The Maestro Guide, though we're still working on it and it's far from complete yet.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 22:56

Thanks, Alan. Incidentally, I haven't seen any reference yet to the six candles in the castle that have to be lit in order to pass through the paintings. I've managed to light all six on several occasions, but it seems to be a hit and miss affair, and I wondered whether there was a specific procedure involved.

One interesting side-note: I was reading a review of "Five Miles Out" posted elsewhere on this site, and Mike mentioned that he possesses a dictionary of synonyms. Given that the bookshelves in the library world of Maestro contain both "Sisson's Synonyms" and "The Holy Bible", it would appear that the image is based on a snapshot of a shelf in Mike's own library.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 03:54

Quote (nightspore @ April 10 2008, 02:56)
I haven't seen any reference yet to the six candles in the castle that have to be lit in order to pass through the paintings. I've managed to light all six on several occasions, but it seems to be a hit and miss affair, and I wondered whether there was a specific procedure involved.

Yes, there's a lot that we haven't covered yet, and the stuff in the castle area has barely been touched upon so far. I'm not sure what problem you're having about the candle lighting - it's just a matter of aiming correctly: exactly in line with the candle and slightly above the top of it. There's a distance effect too, if I recall correctly - it doesn't work if you get too close.

I was reading a review of "Five Miles Out" posted elsewhere on this site, and Mike mentioned that he possesses a dictionary of synonyms. Given that the bookshelves in the library world of Maestro contain both "Sisson's Synonyms" and "The Holy Bible", it would appear that the image is based on a snapshot of a shelf in Mike's own library.

Nicely spotted!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 11:19

Quote (Alan D @ April 07 2008, 02:47)
Locate the large pillars in the cave. One of them is set a little apart from the others and there's a pool near its base - see here. The medal is on a small platform by the pool, see here.

The reason I couldn't find the medal is that it's not visible in dim light. It's easily found in blue light - and I've yet to experiment with musical daylight.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 13:00

Quote (nightspore @ April 18 2008, 15:19)
The reason I couldn't find the medal is that it's not visible in dim light.

I didn't know this!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 15:20

Well, now I'm really puzzled. I set off in dim light and entered the bird cavern via the blue shield (see the map, lower left hand corner), and the medal is there.

Are you going into the bird cavern through a different entry point? That might make the difference.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 21:55

I entered the bird cave via the double portal in the blind man's world. I was carrying no medals at the time. I entered first in dim light, inspected carefully the bases of all pillars, and saw nothing. I then pressed F1 to get back to the main entrance, turned on the left light switch and went back down the entrance to the pyramid that gives entry to the blind man's world. In the blind man's world I again entered the bird cave via the double stained glass window. Sure enough, the medal was near a little pool near the pillar that's separate from the others.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 00:57

My goodness! This really does complicate matters as far as making the Guide is concerned. I suppose we'll never actually cover all these different possibilities.

Thanks for this - we'll build it in somewhere appropriate and credit you with the info!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 02:33

Glad to help! It makes me feel less guilty about asking for clues, too, knowing that the game is almost inexhaustibly complex anyway. (I seem to remember reading a story by Borges about a game so complex that it eventually became indistinguishable from the world itself.)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 05:17

Quote (nightspore @ April 19 2008, 06:33)
It makes me feel less guilty about asking for clues, too,

Never any need for that.

(I seem to remember reading a story by Borges about a game so complex that it eventually became indistinguishable from the world itself.)

I don't think I ever saw Maestro as anything but a computer game, but Tr3s Lunas really did (and can still) seem like another world, sometimes - particularly in online games. We really did mount exploratory expeditions into completely unknown territory, and it really felt like that, because we were discovering aspects of its virtual world that (I believe) even Mike Oldfield didn't know were there.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 08:08

I have a treat in store for me, then! I'm saving Tres Lunes until I've at least completed Maestro's medal quest.
Profile PM 
11 replies since April 06 2008, 20:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net