[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MCN: Oldfield writes music on two-wheels< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
changeling Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2007, 06:31

I really enjoyed this short video..
Thanks for the download link Tati the Sentinel.
Mike looks like he has a real inner peace at the moment..
I agree with you Jools that this kind of work must have had a longer gestation period.
The lack of electric guitars is a small issue really, IMHO, as the dynamic impact of a symphony orchestra in full flight can be quite amazing..I suppose it comes down to the arrangements etc.
I love hearing Mikes touch through an acoustic guitar anyway..
I am so excited of the prospect of this album :)

--------------
"Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect"

Mike Oldfield 1998
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 11:15

I wonder if there will be any sort of section or segment used to promote the album in the popular market? To get play? On the classical music channels? For example? Hint....
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 16:04

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 25 2007, 00:03)
Thanks to the spaniards - so here it is(found on A Man and His Music Blog by David):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4R50DVVL

Many thanks to them and to you Tati!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 16:49

Watching the video again,Mike says that a choir is included...seems quite intersting to me!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 19:37

It's so lovely to see him looking and sounding so relaxed, and to see his motorbikes.(Obviously a bit of a passion there! )Large dawg and little son too.

The new album does sound as if it will be unlike anything he's ever done. I am looking forward to it very much and feel it will take us to new realms. I think he may have made a wise move to venture into the classical arena. Generally there the people are more interested in the music itself, the content and style rather than whether it's 'in' or not. I think I'll probably take more notice of any reviews too.

If I'm honest I am disappointed there'll be no electric guitar but if I knew there were to be some beautiful piano parts like Top of the Morning or Blackbird that would make up for it because guitar & piano are two of his great strengths in my view.

And I really do think that orchestration is a brilliant idea because not only is there a good chance of a tour in the future but it will give the music some real potential for future generations to listen to and study. It almost gives it more credibility, perhaps that's the wrong word because we all know how good it is, but maybe it will alter the general audience's perception of him as a composer. I think it's a good move. And I hope he has enjoyed the whole process, I bet it wasn't easy, let's hope it is rewarding.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 06:16

Quote (Marky @ May 27 2007, 11:15)
I wonder if there will be any sort of section or segment used to promote the album in the popular market? To get play? On the classical music channels? For example? Hint....

Yeah why doesn't he try to get little video clips like this over the at the Classic FM website or somewhere similar. Somewhere where there may be a target audience that may actually appreciate the fact that he's doing a classical album and may actually buy it. It always seems to be fringe media or backwater radio stations that Mike appears in these days.

On another note he seems to be settled on it being called 'Music of the Spheres' It still doesn't work for me as a title. We all know Mike has difficulties coming up with album titles but surely he can come up with a title that hasn't already flopped for Ian Brown. 'Music of the Spheres' sounds like its trying way to hard to sound vaguely abstract, vaguely cool and vaguely sophisticated. I'm sure he could come up with something a lot less naff that might actually sell the piece of music.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 28 2007, 13:30

Quote (TOBY @ May 28 2007, 08:16)
On another note he seems to be settled on it being called 'Music of the Spheres' It still doesn't work for me as a title.

I think this title too New Agey for a classic album.

Think Mike...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 16:01

Quote (TOBY @ May 28 2007, 11:16)
he seems to be settled on it being called 'Music of the Spheres' It still doesn't work for me as a title. We all know Mike has difficulties coming up with album titles but surely he can come up with a title that hasn't already flopped for Ian Brown. 'Music of the Spheres' sounds like its trying way to hard to sound vaguely abstract, vaguely cool and vaguely sophisticated. I'm sure he could come up with something a lot less naff that might actually sell the piece of music.

Well, I don't know about this. I agree that it does sound a little odd for a title, but then everything does until you get used to it. And if you think about it, Tubular Bells was a pretty unimaginative title but look what happened there. It worked out just fine & several times over too. I really think we don't know enough about the actual content of the album before we judge the title, and I for one am prepared to wait quite patiently. I don't go in for all the speculation ~ as tempting as it maybe at times!

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 16:32

Like Bee, I don't really care about the title, except that it's a mildly interesting indicator about the direction his mind is moving.

After all, some of the finest pieces of music that I know have very uninspired titles, like 'Symphony No. 2' or 'Symphony no. 5'!!
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 28 2007, 18:54

Good point Alan!

Mike was originally going to call Light & Shade "Quicksilver", so things can change :)

I don't mind what the title is - I want the music!!!  :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 10:59

Quote (Chicular @ May 24 2007, 10:50)
He says it will be an 86 piece orchestra, is that alot in terms of orchestral performance?

No, it's not an awful lot. A standard orchestra has about 100 performers, and for some pieces, a lot more are needed, for example Mahler's Symphony No. 8, known as the "Symphony of a Thousand", or most of Richard Strauss' symphonic pieces.

From Wikipedia:

The typical symphony orchestra consists of four proportionate groups of similar musical instruments, generally appearing in the musical score in the following order (with proportions indicated):

* Woodwinds: piccolo, 2 flutes*, 2 oboes*, English horn, 2 clarinets*, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons*, contrabassoon
   * Brass: 2* to 8 French horns*, 2* to 5 trumpets*, 2 to 3 trombones, 1 to 2 bass trombones, tuba
   * Percussion: timpani*, snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, celesta, piano, etc.
   * Strings: harp(s), 16 to 30 violins*, 8 to 12 violas*, 8 to 12 violoncellos*, and 5 to 8 double basses*.

Occasionally, an orchestra will feature notable wind ensemble instruments, such as the euphonium, the saxophone, the alto clarinet, and the baritone horn.

Instruments marked with an asterisk are considered the "core" symphonic instruments, and only in rarest of cases are not called for in most symphonic literature. Other instruments listed above are considered "auxiliary" instruments and are less frequently required, but still referred to as "standard". Late 19th-century symphonic works calling for all the auxiliary instruments, as well as a large number of strings, usually include the phrase "for large orchestra" in their full titles. Example: Richard Strauss' Ein Heldenleben.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 30 2007, 03:24

Could "Music of the Spheres" simply relate to a Motorcycles 2 Wheels ?? as if mikes getting inspiration from Riding the Bike this could be a Clue!!   Another thought.. If the Album happens to be a Stonking Great Success with the Classic Fans and sells Well.. Could this give cause for Mike to Reflect shall I stay with this "Style" and move on from Rock based pieces...?? ;)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 30 2007, 03:33

Quote (Deadcalm @ May 30 2007, 08:24)
Could "Music of the Spheres" simply relate to a Motorcycles 2 Wheels ??

Wouldn't that be 'Music of the Circles'?
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 30 2007, 04:21

Quote (Alan D @ May 30 2007, 03:33)
Quote (Deadcalm @ May 30 2007, 08:24)
Could "Music of the Spheres" simply relate to a Motorcycles 2 Wheels ??

Wouldn't that be 'Music of the Circles'?

You could have a Point there !!    lol..  

:cool:
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 30 2007, 15:45

Q. what do you call a vicar on a motorbike......

Ans= rev

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 13 2007, 10:04

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 24 2007, 20:03)
Thanks to the spaniards - so here it is(found on A Man and His Music Blog by David):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4R50DVVL

Here Megaupload is very very popular...that's why it's hard to download stuff from it.

So if there's a chance to upload the video to another server like Rapidshare,I'd be very happy...I wanna download the video,but the slots for Brazil are all in use
:(

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
A1anw Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 07:53

Does anyone have any news on how the recording of the new piece is going?  I understand it's at Abbey Road Studios.
Profile PM 
36 replies since May 23 2007, 20:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net