Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MC JOHN CLEESE, Mike confirms the MC for TB 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2002, 17:15

Mike has confirmed on local London TV that John Cleese is to be the new MC. So what does everyone think about that?
Mike has often described his work as being somewhat Pythonesque - ie unpredictible and really quite mad! But I've seen it mentionned that Cleese could impose himself too much. Well, Mike's made his judgement, so, will it be a popular choice?

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2002, 19:36

I look forward to hearing Cleese on the track. He's an experienced and intelligent actor and I'm sure he'll find the right level for his mc activities.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2002, 20:54

Quote (Man In The Rain @ Aug. 22 2002, 18:15)
Mike has confirmed on local London TV that John Cleese is to be the new MC.

Which programme did you see this?

I am happy to see that Mike got John Cleese to be MC for TB2003. I´m sure that it´s goin´to be funny...and Mike said on the webchat @ BBC Radio2 that he really wanted to see John as MC.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2002, 05:26

If anyone is unhappy about John Cleese as MC - well, Mike did say that it came down to who was available. I'm a huge fan of John - also, I think it's a good idea because his voice is distinctive - and he's known around the world!! Of course, he's very funny too!!
Profile PM 
Der StraussMeister
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 13:56

Well, personally, not too sure if it is gonna work. I would have recommended none other than the great Christopher Lee, but that again would have been a bit much. :O  But anyway...in real terms let us say I would have been happy to hear another TB anyway, as long as he doesn't do another club mix version. TBIII was good (written and performed in anger perhaps...? ooooh that closing section) and I quite enjoyed it, other than it being far too short for my taste, so let's hope he just does the honorable thing and does a straight version of.
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 19:16

John Cleese!! hey! Do you think we might get a rendition of the 'lumberjack song' or 'Always look on the bright side of life' somewhere in the middle of TB 2003

Could be interesting tunes for mikes guitar!

Got to make it sound different from other TB albums somehow!

MO fan :p
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 22:59

Well, it will certainly be interesting. I am a huge Monty Python and Fawlty Towers fan, and I am very excited to see how it turns out. Hope he doesn't do a too silly voice though. He won't, I know Mike isn't going to ruin it, and John Cleese will do a good voice over. I agree with MO Fan, stick The Lumberjack Song on the end (but that wasn't John singing was it? ) Maybe some Faulty Towers (MANUEL!!!!! )  :D

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2002, 18:26

With regard to Mike not ruining it I would say don't be to sure, listen to 'Altered Sate'
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2002, 02:11

But with 'Altered State' (which I do agree he did ruin) it was NOT a re-recording, but a new album altogether, even if it was based on the same themes. TB2003 is a RE-RECORDING which some people failed to have acknowledged. It is using exactly the same melodies and , as much as is possible, instruments, with only some orchestral additions. Mike simply wanted to record it as he would have wanted it originally: in tune and with better technology, thus making the sound crisper and clearer. I'm sure if Viv Stanshall were alive Mike would have used him again. Probably there's no original recordings of just his MC voice to use now. JC (John Cleese, not Jesus Christ) will simply speak out the instrument names - not much can go wrong there. Mike said he's happy with the recoding (which has already taken place in the US) - so I think it'll be fine!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2002, 13:54

I hope you're right but remember there was a lot of discussion here a while ago about JC's suitability for the part, remember we could end up with the same bombastic approach that Alan Rickman brought to TB2, and it's more than concievable that Cleese could do the same. But as you say timshen it is a re-recording so hopefully Mike will remain faithfull to the original here as well and keep the MCing subtle ( not something Cleese is known for )
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2002, 19:19

Mr Cleese yeh he has a serious side to him to you know, very dry i think plus his normal voice isn't to posh for want of better words.......it's normal and everyone knows who it is when John speeks cos his voice is so distinctive. NO PROBLEM good choice ;)  ;)
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 07:33

Well, yeah, Mike Oldfield is the only musician I know of who can actually be very very funny with instrumental music.  Parts of Amarok, for example, are hilarious!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 08:51

I was watching on MTV a programme about the new Bond Movie,and I saw John Cleese on that,he's quite funny actually,saw him also on Rat Race(really funny on that character)...

I can imagine him doing the MC part and me crying and laughing out loud while listening to it...can't wait to hear!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2003, 03:08

I do know that John Cleese can be serious: I saw him on the new James Bond film, and he should be a very good MC. timshen is right, this is a re-recording, and anyone who is expecting major changes should listen to the radio interview, which can be found somewhere in the news section of the forum. He has barely changed it at all, and I am quite sure he will not do any orchestral bit (where did you guys hear that about the orchestra? I haven't heard anything). It will sound like the original, no dance beats, no drum machines, no sequencing, using as many of the original instruments as possable, hopefully with a fresher and more modern sound.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2003, 08:43

The orchestral stuff has been mentioned in numerous sources - if I remember correctly, some of the organ parts (I think) were conceived to be orchestral but couldn't be achieved (through expenses? inability?)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 15 2003, 13:00

Yes, it's been one of the things he's been talking about for a while - replacing the organ parts with a string section.

With that said, his Vox Continental organ has been brought out of the cupboard for the occasion, so don't expect the recording to be completely organ free...

As for sequencing and the like, Mike's quite enthusiastic about software synthesisers at the moment, and runs various ones as plugins within Logic Audio...it seems that some found their way into Tubular Bells, though whether they'll stay there is another matter...
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2003, 05:19

Quote (timshen @ Nov. 25 2002, 02:11)
JC (John Cleese, not Jesus Christ)

Although Cleese is good, letting Jesus do the speaking probably would raise to public's interest in the record.

Mike if you can't arrange that, at least see to it that Simon Phillips does the drumming!

Anyhow, and although I have heard TB too many times already,  I am looking forward 25th May! Mike is Mike after all, and I can see that some parts of the original recording can be improved upon. Good luck Mike!
Profile PM 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: April 01 2003, 17:56

I think John Cleese is a perfect choice - Viv Stanshall and Alan Rickman both gave Mega-British renditions on 1 & 2, and Cleese always excels at playing stiff-upper-lipped beaurocratic characters (like Archie Leach in A Fish Called Wanda).

Also, in a similar light-hearted fashion to the Billy Connolly version of "The Bell" (was that a B-Side?  I've got it, but can't find it on any single), how about a re-recording featuring... FRANK KELLY!!  Instead of announcing the instruments, get him to do all his Father Jack trademarks like "DRINK!", "FECK!" and "ARSE!".  I would pay good money to hear that! :D

That leaves the question of the ENDING!  Which one is Mike going for?  A 2003 Re-Recording of "Sailor's Hornpipe", or is he going to get Cleese plastered and go on a tour of Mike's house armed with a mandolin and bass drum?
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: April 05 2003, 09:56

Whoa, that's awesome! John Cleese rulez, excellent choice.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Scherzo Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 08:13

Has anyone actually considered Mike being the voice himself?

If not, then how about Roger Moore?  :D His voice would be great.

And the Chrisopher Lee mention above would be perfect (deep and impacting).

Is the guy from the original album now since departed or something?

Other suggestions :

Sean Connery "YESH 2 shlightly disthtorted Guitars"
Graham Norton "Oooh..Mandolin..EM....it's just Soooo exciting..EM"
Jeremy Paxman "C'mon...c'mon....where is that mandolin...hurry up"
Bob Monkhouse "Mmm...YES..mandolin..mmmmm.."
Clive Anderson
Richard Madely from Good Morning (just joking..or am i?)
Patrick Mooore - He would be perfect.
Tony Blair - "Look.....the point is....people have to remember"
Profile PM 
25 replies since Aug. 22 2002, 17:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net