Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Masterpiece?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 08:26

Last week I bought this album 'Islands', because someone said that TWC was a masterpiece. But the first listening to the track was a bit of disappointment. I was ready to hear
some guitars but the track, for me, TWC has the style of classical music. :/
I don't think that TWC is a masterpiece, but it's quite good. And the only one of the vocaltracks I liked was
'Flying Start'.  :)

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2004, 16:53

Hi, Rileman. I'm the guy that said that TWC is a masterpiece.

Well, I'm sure it'll take you only a few more listens to agree with me, I didn't like it a lot the first time as well, because you know Mike's the kind of music that grows on you the most you hear it. Try as well to listen close to 'Northpoint' and 'Magic Touch', they're a beautiful ballad and a great rocker, and you'll like them for sure.

Enjoy a lot that nice album, and I hope you're answer will come soon that you like it much more with time.

Regards,

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2004, 03:57

Ok, delfin...
I've listen to TWC a few times since last, and...well. :)
it's not so bad. It's good to relax to after a hard day.  :zzz:
But STILL, I don't think it's a masterpiece. Mike has done
better instrumentals. The music repeats to much all over
the track and sometimes it sounds like Mike does'nt know
what he shall play. I think Crises or the Lake is better... :p

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:14

TWC is nice,but not spectacular...

The rest is only for completists...

One of the weakest albums in my opinion...

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:20

Quote (Delfín @ Mar. 21 2004, 16:53)
Try as well to listen close to 'Northpoint' and 'Magic Touch', they're a beautiful ballad and a great rocker, and you'll like them for sure.

I agree about North Point (and I also really rate Flying Start and The Time Has Come) but there's no way I could call Magic Touch "a great rocker".  I think my description would be closer to "one of the most toe-curlingly awful songs in Mike Oldfield's entire discography", but, hey, it wouldn't do for us all to agree, would it?  Heh.

:cool:

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 01 2005, 10:31

I think there are many other albums weaker than "Islands" in Mike's catalogue. Say, "Islands" has a couple of strong points that justify somewhat the weaknesses. "Flying Start" is one of Mike's most perfect songs, and  "North Point" and "The Time Has Come" aren't hard to like (I admit I didn't care for them on first listens). I don't like the title track much, "When The Night's On Fire" is too monstrous to be likeable, and "Magic Touch"... well, I hated that one right from the start.

I guess "The Wind Chimes" isn't as immediately lovable as the smoothly industrialised, packaged and labelled "Taurus II", so you'll have to give it some time. Granted, I'm not in love with the entire thing. The introduction should be scrapped fof entirely, and for the ending, a satirical George Bush speech would have been way better. But other than that, there are some highly treasurable moments in it. It's also quite original.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:35

Quote (familyjules @ June 01 2005, 15:20)
I think my description would be closer to "one of the most toe-curlingly awful songs in Mike Oldfield's entire discography", but, hey, it wouldn't do for us all to agree, would it?  Heh.

No but I find I often do agree with you, Jules. I agree with quite a lot of what you say here for instance: 'one', 'toe', 'songs', 'in', 'Mike', and 'entire'. I can't quibble about any of those.

We've thrashed out Wind Chimes pretty thoroughly elsewhere haven't we? I found it stood up to an enormous amount of listening, after a relatively slow start. My only wish would be for it to be longer, so the other stuff would fall off the edge of the album. (OK, I'd leave space for 'North Point' )
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:40

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 01 2005, 15:31)
The introduction should be scrapped fof entirely, and for the ending, a satirical George Bush speech would have been way better.

*solidly refusing to take the bait.....
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:57

Quote (Alan D @ June 01 2005, 10:35)
No but I find I often do agree with you, Jules. I agree with quite a lot of what you say here for instance: 'one', 'toe', 'songs', 'in', 'Mike', and 'entire'. I can't quibble about any of those.

Would you go so far as to say that Magic Touch is "ONE of those SONGS that MIKE should have INdeed veTOEd ENTIREly"?

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 11:06

At this time, I like every song on "Islands" better than "The Wind Chimes", with the likely exception of "When the Night's on Fire", which I have not really counted as an "Islands" song anyway...

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 11:54

Quote (familyjules @ June 01 2005, 15:57)
Would you go so far as to say that Magic Touch is "ONE of those SONGS that MIKE should have INdeed veTOEd ENTIREly"?

Well that would be extreme, but I'd certainly endorse 'of', 'those', 'that', 'should', 'have', 'deed', 've...d', and 'ly'. Yes, can't quibble with those.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 14:02

There's nothing like a good bit of banter and debate on semantics.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 19:59

I pretty much agree with Rileman. The Wind Chimes has never set me on fire. I really love Flying Start, but the rest of the album ranges from "I don't mind this" to "I really don't like this". It's one of my least favourites.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
edward Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 11:27

No, I think The Wind Chimes is an very good piece and even the shorter compositions (which are usually a heavy flaw in Mike Oldfield lps from the 80s) are actually pretty good with exception of the underperforming title track.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 16:58

I like this album a lot, and also Wind Chimes, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, although it's got lots of stunning moments. The loud bits with the weird chainsaw-like sound (terrible description, but you know what I mean) and the loud bit with vocals at the end is just as nice. But there are a few things that make it not a masterpiece. I feel the melodies and arrangements in the middle of the piece could have been more interesting and melodic, and it sometimes sounds a little bit dated. Not that that is a problem for me, but it's not a timeless piece, I guess...
The songs are cool and nice to hear, but they're just fun... they've not got so much relevance...
NorthPoint is maybe the best of those songs... :)
great stuff

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 20:38

What's wrong with Magic Touch?

It's a nice pop song, it has a catchy chorus and a good guitar solo... and it has maybe the best videoclip of the whole Oldfield's videography. Directed by Alex Proyas, If I'm not wrong...

I really like that song!

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 20:43

Quote (Wayfarer @ April 18 2006, 02:38)

I agree with you wholeheartedly. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 02:20

Quote (Wayfarer @ April 17 2006, 20:38)
and it has maybe the best videoclip of the whole Oldfield's videography. Directed by Alex Proyas, If I'm not wrong...

Totally agree with that... It's the best and least dated video on the WindChimes video. I always read people strongly prefere that vocalist to the one on the cd/lp. I never quite got that though... they sound both good in my opinion :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 18 2006, 13:43

I've never seen the video (would never wish to do it, on that matter), so all I have is the music. And it's incredibly overblown and cheesy, has one of the stupidest guitar riffs Mike ever wrote and/or played, has a vocalist running out of breath over no melody at all, and the worst backing vocals I've ever heard, at the end of the song.

Let's not talk about the lyrics.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 18:21

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 18 2006, 19:43)
Let's not talk about the lyrics.

Why do I have a feeling that you don't agree with us? ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
27 replies since Mar. 15 2004, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net