Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Masterpiece?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wayfarer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 18 2006, 19:27

Ok, guy... You don't like Magic Touch and I can't stand Family Man. Let's say it's a tie ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 24 2006, 20:12

Mike should have stuck with instrumentals. All the vocal tracks on this album leave me cleaning vomit off my stereo. I do think The Wind Chimes is a very good song. :)
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 30 2006, 19:27

this is very close to be a very perfect album!
Almost..........................

they only thing for me is Magic touch.. i would call it "Loud touch"
This song really don't fit in.. I think it's belong to earth moving actually. It would be nice to have the album like this;

Wind Chimes part one
Islands extended
Flying start extended
Music from the video wall
North Point
Time has come extended
When the nights on fire
Wind chimes part two

all those songs and melodys represent one of mike's greatest moments and pieces.
Wind chimes part 2 is really something to get known first. A really great track!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
mariarey Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2006, 06:18

Wayfarer, I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with 'Magic Touch'. It's an unusual addition to the Album in that it is a rock song totally out of character with what we expected from Mike.
This is because Geoff Downes (from Asia) co - produced the song. It sounds alot like an Asia song. It's intense and rocking with beautiful vocals by then girlfriend Anita Hegerland at the end of the song.
And it was a big success in the USA, hitting the top ten on the Billboard Album Rock charts in early 1988. At the time passing major rock artists like Pink Floyd, INXS and Def Leapard. I don't recall any other songs from mike acheiving the same success besides 'Moonlight Shadow' and the 'Tubular Bells' edit in the 70s.
'Magic Touch' was a major commercial success that is very much underrated.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 11:49

I like the way Tubularman has rearranged the album - with Part I of The Wind Chimes as an introduction, and the fabulous meaty Rhythmicalness of Part II as a climax at the end. But I'd scrap "Islands", "The Time Has Come" and "When the nights on Fire", and replace them with "The Path" and the extended versions of "Shine" and "Pictures In The Dark" :)

Wind Chimes part one
Shine extended
Flying start extended
Music from the video wall
North Point
Pictures In The Dark extended
The Path
Wind chimes part two

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 11:52

Quote (mariarey @ Nov. 12 2006, 06:18)
And it was a big success in the USA, hitting the top ten on the Billboard Album Rock charts in early 1988.

Do you have an actual copy of the chart? I thought it made it to #42 or something like that.  That's a "big success" for Oldfield regardless, but I recall it really getting 0 airplay on radio at the time. I did see HALF of the video for "Magic Touch" on VH-1 once, and never saw it repeated after that.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 11:58

Quote (mariarey @ Nov. 12 2006, 06:18)
I don't recall any other songs from mike acheiving the same success besides 'Moonlight Shadow' and the 'Tubular Bells' edit in the 70s.

Also, "Moonlight Shadow" also got 0 airplay in the US. I had no reason to think of it any differently from any of the other tracks on "Crises" until years later I found out on the Internet that it was a really huge European hit, and had many cover versions as well. The only other US Oldfield "hit" to mention besides "Exorcist" is the Hall and Oates cover of "Family Man". It made it to #6 on the US Billboard charts in 1983. It also got very heavy video airplay.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2018, 09:11

I have always really liked Magic Touch, and I like watching the video because you can watch Mike playing the guitar solo, which is fantastic. Also, any video with Anita Hegerland in is ok in my book ;)
Profile PM 
27 replies since Mar. 15 2004, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net