[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks preview clips on bol.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 13:51

Quote (Nexus6 @ Mar. 01 2014, 07:33)
Dreaming in the Wind - Meh.  It's an Ok track to me.  It picks up steam halfway through, but otherwise this is an "Innocent" style throw away.

Good we have all different taste... I love Dreaming in the Wind, but have difficulties with Following the Angels

:)

You are correct.  To each his own.  However, I will say I LOVE the demo version of Dreaming!! :)  That, they should have kept as it was, IMO.  It had a nice Trick of the Light feeling :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 14:07

Quote (christopher @ Mar. 01 2014, 13:51)
Quote (Nexus6 @ Mar. 01 2014, 07:33)
Dreaming in the Wind - Meh.  It's an Ok track to me.  It picks up steam halfway through, but otherwise this is an "Innocent" style throw away.

Good we have all different taste... I love Dreaming in the Wind, but have difficulties with Following the Angels

:)

You are correct.  To each his own.  However, I will say I LOVE the demo version of Dreaming!! :)  That, they should have kept as it was, IMO.  It had a nice Trick of the Light feeling :)

And i think, i like much more the versions of tracks with Mike's vocals. They sound very moody :) After some improvements in his vocals skills (because sometimes the imperfections are heard), he could successfully include his own voice as main vocal on the album. So many positive associations with Heaven's Open... ahhh :) He really has very specific voice tone.

So i can only waiting for my box to listen all demos from start to the end.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 14:17

Again www.thelook247.com is playing entire Box set motr 8 oclock tonight
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 14:47

Very first impressions, first listening... Spiller sounds very generic, I like Mike's voice in Heaven's Open way better. The Heaven's Open song is better than any in this album in my opinion, but as an album, Heaven's Open is inferior. The tunes are too long. I like the overall production, I'd have mix Spiller lower and the guitars louder (feel like buying him a better electric guitar or amp in MOTR song, it doesn't sound that great - the guitar should be screaming there, not the singer in my opinion, he is annoying, this song is a missed opportunity for me). I like the album better than Music Of The Sphere, it's more emotiona, less "forced", more spirited, I think the closest album is Guitars, and this one is much more enjoyable although I usually don't like lyrics. I've read everywhere it reminds people of Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, etc. I don't feel it at all, this is Mike Oldfield to me (while I think the dark secret behind Light+Shade and Tres Lunas is that his son did it), it just that he used generic instruments and singer.

Chariots' chorus melody is "stolen" from something, I can't pinpoint what. I love the intro and the end of it so much (most of the credit might go the the band, not necessarily Mike?), MINUS the stupid voice of Spiller fainting away. And then a weak track follows, frustrating moment of the album.

Almost each single song has very elaborated last few seconds, quite unique.

Wife asks:
- "What's that? It's good."
- "New Mike Odlfield, but not him singing."
- "Mike Oldfield? Even the song before? It's different."
- "That's Mike Oldfield"
So wife tricked into admitting she likes Mike Oldfield. Yeah!
... later on...
- "It's only 1 or 2 songs that are good anyway."
I did a strategic mistake saying it was Mike Oldfield too early. Will do better next album.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 19:51

top No 1 seller on Spain's Amazon site ! :)
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 03:53

The latest edition of Classic Rock Magazine also has a review of the album. Excerpts:

"Predictably, perhaps. a fair portion of Man on the Rocks sounds exactly like what it is - rich man's yacht rock. While the playing is never less than exemplary, the reliance on mid-tempo numbers, usually designed to lock into a thrusting chorus, means that it suffers from a lack of urgency. And Spiller's voice, though decent enough, is hardly a revelation, which only adds to the routine feel of songs like Minutes and Following the Angels.

Still, there's enough to celebrate too. Not least Castaway, and impassioned mini-epic that finds Spiller tearing open his heart like a young Freddie Mercury while Oldfield rams up the drama with a guitar solo as brutish as it is articulate

All in all, Man on the Rocks is a passable, though risk-free, return to work"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 04:41

And they gave it 6 out of 10 ... !!! Utter cloth-eared tosh !

Minimum 8 out of 10 !! easily !  :)
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 07:10

Heard deluxe box set last,one of best albums he's done.up there with the best.true masterpiece
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 08:42

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 01 2014, 14:47)
Very first impressions, first listening... Spiller sounds very generic, I like Mike's voice in Heaven's Open way better. The Heaven's Open song is better than any in this album in my opinion, but as an album, Heaven's Open is inferior. The tunes are too long. I like the overall production, I'd have mix Spiller lower and the guitars louder (feel like buying him a better electric guitar or amp in MOTR song, it doesn't sound that great - the guitar should be screaming there, not the singer in my opinion, he is annoying, this song is a missed opportunity for me). I like the album better than Music Of The Sphere, it's more emotiona, less "forced", more spirited, I think the closest album is Guitars, and this one is much more enjoyable although I usually don't like lyrics. I've read everywhere it reminds people of Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, etc. I don't feel it at all, this is Mike Oldfield to me (while I think the dark secret behind Light+Shade and Tres Lunas is that his son did it), it just that he used generic instruments and singer.

Chariots' chorus melody is "stolen" from something, I can't pinpoint what. I love the intro and the end of it so much (most of the credit might go the the band, not necessarily Mike?), MINUS the stupid voice of Spiller fainting away. And then a weak track follows, frustrating moment of the album.

Almost each single song has very elaborated last few seconds, quite unique.

Wife asks:
- "What's that? It's good."
- "New Mike Odlfield, but not him singing."
- "Mike Oldfield? Even the song before? It's different."
- "That's Mike Oldfield"
So wife tricked into admitting she likes Mike Oldfield. Yeah!
... later on...
- "It's only 1 or 2 songs that are good anyway."
I did a strategic mistake saying it was Mike Oldfield too early. Will do better next album.

Many years ago I played Hibernaculum first time to my wife. She asked:”who is this?”. I said :”It is a new single by Vangelis” She said to me: “It is a wonderful song, much better than Mike Oldfield has ever done. This is how music should be!” She still believes it is a Vangelis track, so I can listen it anytime I want to.  :p
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 22:59

Hi all, when listening to Following The Angels I always had the feeling I know this from somewhere.... I've got a 2 year old girl... Now listen to this little Snowflake
Profile PM 
Richard Branson Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 10:32

Chariots' chorus melody is "stolen" from something, I can't pinpoint what. I love the intro and the end of it so much (most of the credit might go the the band, not necessarily Mike?)

Just because the melody reminds you of something doesn't mean it's "stolen". And most of the credit goes to Mike, not the band. Listen to the demos, they're rough, but very close to the final versions.

Quote (Nexus6 @ Mar. 02 2014, 22:59)
Hi all, when listening to Following The Angels I always had the feeling I know this from somewhere.... I've got a 2 year old girl... Now listen to this

Huh? Both tracks are low-tempo, use a piano, and the word "falling". Apart from that, the tracks are totally different.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 10:53

After so many songs existing nowadays, it is very likely new ones will have some familiarities with the old ones.
It does not mean they have been stolen or intentionally copied.
Some get inspired by old songs, that is called an evolution, not stealing. Mike got inspired many times himself or payed a tribute to other artists/songs.
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 14:49

Quote (Black Bunik @ Mar. 03 2014, 20:53)
After so many songs existing nowadays, it is very likely new ones will have some familiarities with the old ones.
Some get inspired by old songs, that is called an evolution, not stealing. Mike got inspired many times himself or payed a tribute to other artists/songs.

Hm, I think in my post I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I just thought it was funny because I always want to finish when Luke sings with "falling on my head..."
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 16:21

I've updated alot of my opinions on this album, including Dreaming and Give Myself Away... as really good tracks.

Now, as I wait on the Limited Edition Boxset to arrive, I've noticed no one has even mentioned the Alternative Mixes.  How are they?  What can you tell me about them?  Thanks :)
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 17:10

Quote (christopher @ Mar. 03 2014, 16:21)
I've updated alot of my opinions on this album, including Dreaming and Give Myself Away... as really good tracks.

Now, as I wait on the Limited Edition Boxset to arrive, I've noticed no one has even mentioned the Alternative Mixes.  How are they?  What can you tell me about them?  Thanks :)

Raw is the word,but as each track goes on you relieze that you could even had had mikes version on main album.there was a show on Saturday night gone playing all 3 discs.its via facebook page with a chat room,which caroline monk and luke spiller attended.there doing show again on Wednesday with caroline,luke and mike on fb page and chat room. Internet Chanel is www.thelook247.com
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2014, 03:27

Quote (Nexus6 @ Mar. 03 2014, 14:49)
Quote (Black Bunik @ Mar. 03 2014, 20:53)

Hm, I think in my post I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I just thought it was funny because I always want to finish when Luke sings with "falling on my head..."

ok, ok I thougth so. :D
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2014, 11:09

Quote (Richard Branson @ Mar. 03 2014, 07:32)
Chariots' chorus melody is "stolen" from something, I can't pinpoint what. I love the intro and the end of it so much (most of the credit might go the the band, not necessarily Mike?)

Just because the melody reminds you of something doesn't mean it's "stolen". And most of the credit goes to Mike, not the band. Listen to the demos, they're rough, but very close to the final versions.

Listened to the demo, exactly what I thought, what I love so much in Chariots is not there in the demo. Mike is still somehow responsible for it but kudos to the band too, or maybe he directed it via Skype, anyway not there in the demo, there in the production version.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 16:45

Apart from the overly simplistic Sailing, not bad! The songs appear to be quite promising, and even the demos sound rather cool indeed. I really like Moonshine, great!
Profile PM 
Richard Branson Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 16:53

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 04 2014, 11:09)
Listened to the demo, exactly what I thought, what I love so much in Chariots is not there in the demo. Mike is still somehow responsible for it but kudos to the band too, or maybe he directed it via Skype, anyway not there in the demo, there in the production version.

I guess you mean the Outcast-like distortion effects. If Mike could do it on TB3, he can still do it now. He probably didn't think it necessary to polish the demos to that level. The demos show that he's still a great bass player, though.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 17:10

Quote (Richard Branson @ Mar. 05 2014, 13:53)
Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 04 2014, 11:09)

I guess you mean the Outcast-like distortion effects. If Mike could do it on TB3, he can still do it now. He probably didn't think it necessary to polish the demos to that level. The demos show that he's still a great bass player, though.

Yeah the effects and how all the instruments blend together. What I'm talking about is execution, not the idea. We could use Outcast and this track and show what other musicians can bring to Mike's music in my opinion, and that would be a rare example where he doesn't do better alone.
Profile PM 
92 replies since Feb. 22 2014, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net