Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks preview clips on bol.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Legend Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 04:38

Sorry if I may sound ignorant - but as much as I look forward to the entire album I try to avoid listening to the 30 sec. bits as I feel the album as a whole will loose the "freshness" it deserves and will put into my ears and mind. I have only listened to "Sailing" and a bit of "MotR" (Only LS singing) so far.

The question: The first bit we got from the studio (I guess everybody thought it was what became "Sailing") - is that what actually became "Moonshine" MO Himself singing the demo???? Or...
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 04:40

Quote (HuanCry @ Feb. 26 2014, 03:56)
Though there are obviously retro sounding tracks on the album it mostly sounds fresh to my ears as far as one can tell from the samples alone. It seems to be imbued with energy, emotion, great tunes and not least Mike's wonderful guitar playing !!!! I think it's going to exceed my expectations.

I know it may be rash but I've already stated on Mike's FB group that this may well be the first song-based album to sit comfortable beside Mike's instrumental masterpieces and NOT feel ashamed !!!! :) ... if albums can feel anything :D

Well said mate.seems with mikes music there's no middle ground,love or hate.even in his poorest works EM,heavens open,islands I've tried to find some positives,and there was a few.at that given time though mike was churning out crap to see out his long album deal with virgin,which we can excuse.we seen the change straight after that move to warner,were he went on again to release killer albums.tb2,voyager,tsode.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 04:43

Quote (Legend @ Feb. 26 2014, 04:38)
Sorry if I may sound ignorant - but as much as I look forward to the entire album I try to avoid listening to the 30 sec. bits as I feel the album as a whole will loose the "freshness" it deserves and will put into my ears and mind. I have only listened to "Sailing" and a bit of "MotR" (Only LS singing) so far.

The question: The first bit we got from the studio (I guess everybody thought it was what became "Sailing") - is that what actually became "Moonshine" MO Himself singing the demo???? Or...

Agree 30s clips do no favour to anyone.think moonshine is gonna be a belter of a track.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 09:29

It's interesting now some people have heard more of the album how there views have changed, before we heard the music, so many people were very negative about Mike releasing a song based album, now, people seem to be liking it, as I always say with Mike's albums, DON'T prejudge them!!! Wait till you hear the whole album to make a critical judgement.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 10:20

Other snippets, if you want them now  :p  :

http://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=170511
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 13:53

Quote (Nezzico @ Feb. 26 2014, 10:20)
Other snippets, if you want them now  :p  :

http://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=170511

Here the Sailing version is different :-)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 13:59

I don't think its any different, it just has an extra verse  ;)
Profile PM WEB 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 16:22

Hmm, ... either I have hallucinations or there are clear different snippets. Didnt you hear the Mark Knopfler guitar part on the "Dreaming in the Wind" now?
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 17:45

Yeah the snippets are different. My post was in reference to "Sailing". I think its the same version that was released to the public already plus an extra verse, not an alternate recording or anything.
Profile PM WEB 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 01:43

Ok, my fault! Sorry Gus  :D
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 17:44

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 17:53)
I'm sure the record company's are in a far better position to judge on a vocalist than me or you,after all they know there business.

Ah record companies yep, the guys who weren't interested in Tubular Bells.  :D
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 17:58

Quote (First_Excursion @ Feb. 27 2014, 17:44)
I'm sure the record company's are in a far better position to judge on a vocalist than me or you,after all they know there business.

Another stuck in 1973
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 02:54

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 27 2014, 17:58)
Quote (First_Excursion @ Feb. 27 2014, 17:44)

Another stuck in 1973

And another one thinking they have changed since. :D

Business is still about taking risks, nowadays not everyone wants to do it and in most cases they end up rather producing same things over and over again rather than taking a risk with something new.
It is not only in record business, but in computer games too. One Czech studio brought up a game with an interesting concept closer to history rather than fantasy and everybody turned them down as they did not have enough magic and dragons in their game. Seems rather familiar situation to me. Fortunately they found a sponsor who told them if they gather enough fan support, he will finance the whole project. They started a kick-starter and it made so much money they did not only prove to their investor there is an interest, but it will help them to expand their team and make the game far bigger than they originally anticipated. I am talking about Kingdom Come: Deliverance of Warhorse studios.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 11:52

First off, just bought and downloaded a copy from HighResAudio.  Thank you Nezzico :)

GREAT ALBUM!!  However... here is my play by play on first listen.

Sailing - Great, fun, commercial.  Could have done without Lukes excessive talking towards the end and the extra verse at the beginning that seemed to be lost and completely unnecessary.  

Moonshine - One of the best songs on the album, IMO!  Truly a fun song in every sense of the word.  Completely unexpected Irish section.

Man on the Rocks - Flawless in every sense.

Castaway - Do not like the opening.  The organ should have been constant with no variation.  That would have given it a solid 1960's feeling.  By the end it has found it's feet and the guitar solo is a contender for best on the album.

Minutes - One of the favorites.  A great track all around.  It could have been a track by Fleetwood Mac on Rumors.  Only thing missing was the extraordinary harmonies of Fleetwood Mac.  

Dreaming in the Wind - Meh.  It's an Ok track to me.  It picks up steam halfway through, but otherwise this is an "Innocent" style throw away.

Nuclear - Excellent track.  Solid through out.  Great guitar work.   Good imagery.  A solid track.

Chariots - A completely missed opportunity.  It is one of the best on the album.  The arrangement and mixing is dodgy, IMO.  There is a hole in the mix by the lack of acoustic guitars.  Which, in a track of this style, needs more than an electric guitar to guide it.  It is a rocking track, though!  That is for sure.  The mix at the end seems to be completely bottomed out and completely distorts.  Atleast in my FLAC copy.  That to me is a sign of poor mixing.  I honestly feel the acoustic version from the video is far better... giving it that umph.  

Following the Angels - Hands down the best track on the album, IMO!!!!!  The imagery that springs to mind, the peace it brings, the comfort, is outstanding!!!!!  Though, I will say again, the mixing is a completely missed opportunity for sheer power and depth.  The choir definitely should have been brought out of the background and Lukes voice drowned out.  This song has the feeling of the early 90's when gospel R&B was huge (Boyz-2-Men, Mariah Carey, etc.).  Actually, when R&B was R&B and not the crap they call R&B today.  Give me a go at this track, on mixing, and I'll give you a stellar version!  

Irene - Can we say Rolling Stones?  Yes we can!  And that, is a very good thing!!

I Give Myself Away - I'm going to put it out there that I am not a fan of "Christian" music.  Although, it is a lovely and beautiful song.  The one thing they NEVER should have used was an electric piano sound.  Oh God, it just sounds like traditionally bad Christian music played in the early 90's.  That is my only complaint.  

All in all, this is stellar album!!!!!  In stars, I give it a four.   I would put this up there with FMO and Crises as an album not be missed!!  

Now, my one chief complaint, the one-dimensional vocals.  Don't get me wrong, I love Luke's voice!!  I don't know who made the decision or if one was made, but there is a serious lack of harmonies. Several tracks could have used harmony to enhance them.  I'm awaiting the SDBoxset.  So, we shall see about the demo's and alternative mixes.  I do hope with the alternative of Following the Angels, the mixing is is more in keeping with the style of tune!
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 02:46

Preview snippets for the complete super deluxe edition are here:

http://www.cede.de/de....ranch=1
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 05:09

Is the MoTR deluxe box really limited to 750 copies or not? If so, this will be sold out very quickly. I dont remember how many copies of Crises box was made, but those was also sold out fast.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 07:12

They're not numbered so I wouldn't be surprised ..... makes the certificate rather pointless doesn't it ?
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 07:33

Dreaming in the Wind - Meh.  It's an Ok track to me.  It picks up steam halfway through, but otherwise this is an "Innocent" style throw away.

Good we have all different taste... I love Dreaming in the Wind, but have difficulties with Following the Angels

:)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 11:45

Dreaming... with Mike's vocals is just amazing!
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 13:49

Radio broadcast www.thelook247.com is playing entire álbum,all 3 discs at 8 oclock tonight.on official Mike fb Page. And currently number 1 um spain
Profile PM 
92 replies since Feb. 22 2014, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net