Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks preview clips on bol.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 08:49

The Dutch retailer bol.com has uploaded 30 second preview clips of all of the tracks on Man on the Rocks.

Thanks, Kristian Janssens!
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 09:18

Hm some classy pop-rock songs...
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 09:47

The Moonshine track instantly reminds me of one of the other songs of Mike - The Song Of The Boat Man from the Hibernaculum single. Both tracks are basing on the same theme and it's a little nostalgia for me, because i always liked TSOTB track :)
Profile PM 
iwaniuch Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 13:08

Quote (equinoxe @ Feb. 22 2014, 09:47)
The Moonshine track instantly reminds me of one of the other songs of Mike - The Song Of The Boat Man from the Hibernaculum single. Both tracks are basing on the same theme and it's a little nostalgia for me, because i always liked TSOTB track :)

You're right, it's exactly the same tune. But since it's Mike's... It's even more obvious in this piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCifACrJX6Y
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 13:15

I can wait a couple of weeks for the full album, why spoil it by listening to a 30 second preview?
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 19:03

Yes, Moonshine is almost The Song Of The Boat Man.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 20:17

Quite the contrary .... the 30 second samples have got me very very excited about the new album ! :) ... The samples are sublime !
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 21:58

WOW!!!!!  I'm so impressed and surprised by this album!!!!!  

Moonshine is an absolutely gorgeous song.  Angels is another beautiful track.  MOTR is beautiful, but not like the aforementioned tracks, IMO.  Sailing, is sailing... a fun and very radio friendly... ready for Nashville airplay.  Irene is very Rolling Stones.  Several have the feeling and arrangement of Moonlight Shadow.  I Give Myself Away, although a Christian song, is done is such a beautiful and disarming way that it doesn't come off as if one is in a church service with people in wheelchairs who suddenly walk and people speaking in tongues lol.  

Some will think this is an orgasm of over-commercialized music set to please the masses... offending the fanatics entirely.  Let us not forget that Mike has been faithful to many Top 40 ideals during the 80's.  This is another evolution in his repertoire.  After all, that is one of the reasons we love his music :)
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 02:48

Agreed, Moonshine really does seem to be The Song Of The Boat Men.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I was scratching my head, wondering where in Mike's catalogue I heard that tune before.
Nice!
With a 30 second snippet it's difficult to gain a full impression of how these songs develop, but it's just enough to realize this is going to be one great album.
Luke Spiller gives a really good interpretation of Mike's lyrics and sounds wonderfully enthusiastic in his delivery.
It's very refreshing to listen to yet another direction from Mike, and probably what keeps me interested (outside of the several TB re-interpretations over the past decade or so) in each successive album that Mike has released.  
A willingness to do something different, and to follow where the soul may lead, appears to suit Mike well.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 05:12

Listen to Dreaming in the Wind and imagine Maggie would sing it, and tell me what do you think? ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 07:41

Its difficult to get much sense of the songs from those clips but it all sounds highly listenable to anyway. I think most of the clips sound like they come from the early sections of the songs so it sounds like there could be some nice powerful build ups. The clip used in the background during part of that documentary sounds much more powerful anyway.

I still think Mike and Luke Spiller make for quite an odd little musical coupling but he's got an undeniably great rock voice for it all. Its a shame in a way Mike himself couldn't sing the songs and give them a bit more of a personal touch. It'll be interesting to hear the demos.
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 09:18

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 23 2014, 07:41)
Its difficult to get much sense of the songs from those clips but it all sounds highly listenable to anyway. I think most of the clips sound like they come from the early sections of the songs so it sounds like there could be some nice powerful build ups. The clip used in the background during part of that documentary sounds much more powerful anyway.

I still think Mike and Luke Spiller make for quite an odd little musical coupling but he's got an undeniably great rock voice for it all. Its a shame in a way Mike himself couldn't sing the songs and give them a bit more of a personal touch. It'll be interesting to hear the demos.

True, although Luke is great choice for most of the songs, this one would perfectly suit Maggie from 80ies...Maybe even Maggie now ;)

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 09:20

My LP won't come before 10.3., who is going to wait all that time when this sounds really promising. To say the least.

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 10:39

So happy to have a new Oldfield album in sight!!! These short snippets show a varity of different styles, but they are not whistle blowing too much. That is not easy to stand, but on the other hand. there is enough space for surprises. So far it sounds familiar and a bit easy listening pop rock - like the most Oldfield songs in the past. Mike songs never had been totaly complex, even though FMO or Pictures in the Dark have a special kind of complex arrangement.

Lukes voice seems to be a good choice for different moods. So far I like his voice, anyway I'm a bit afraid, that more singers had been a better idea for the whole album. (yes, Maggies voice would have been a great pleasure too - but maybe it isnt a bad idea to take a fresh voice now ).

Until now I'm glad with it all, and there is hope for more wonderful guitar solos like on the title track. What the heck will happen in these instrumental versions????
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 11:52

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 23 2014, 13:41)
I think most of the clips sound like they come from the early sections of the songs so it sounds like there could be some nice powerful build ups. The clip used in the background during part of that documentary sounds much more powerful anyway.

I'm sure there's many build ups there. Definitely. According to this review the music is very dynamic. The reviewer also writes about the guitar solos: "Most of the tracks, have guitar solos lasting around a minute or so, Castaway has a 2 minute plus solo!"

Many people have compared Spiller to Freddie Mercury, but clearly he can sound like many different things. The powerful vocal on "Nuclear" reminds me of Greg Lake from Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 14:19

One thing bothers me so far, to my ears the guitar solos are muffled. Am I the only one to feel it that way? Not as sharp and screaming as usual, the singer being responsible for screaming instead of the guitar (I don't get the comparison with Freddie Mercury at all, it's funny how we feel things differently). Might very well be proved wrong once I listen to the whole thing.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 17:22

Loving the clips. I'd be even happier indeed if Maggie made an appearance or two -- Castaway would be so amazing to hear with her voice. But those clips make me feel strangely calm about the whole album.

Don't worry about things sounding muffled, those are low quality clips, of course pretty much all of it sounds muffled.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 17:48

I realized the song Moonshine also reminds me of a song from Pink Floyd: Lost for words from The Division Bell.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 18:09

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 23 2014, 14:19)
One thing bothers me so far, to my ears the guitar solos are muffled. Am I the only one to feel it that way? Not as sharp and screaming as usual, the singer being responsible for screaming instead of the guitar (I don't get the comparison with Freddie Mercury at all, it's funny how we feel things differently). Might very well be proved wrong once I listen to the whole thing.

Go on youtube and listen to the struts cover of get lucky and you'll relieze the comparison
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 21:35

Minutes and Dreaming In The Wild sound like some Crowded House songs.
Profile PM 
92 replies since Feb. 22 2014, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net