Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks preview clips on bol.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 23 2014, 21:43

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 23 2014, 15:09)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 23 2014, 14:19)
One thing bothers me so far, to my ears the guitar solos are muffled. Am I the only one to feel it that way? Not as sharp and screaming as usual, the singer being responsible for screaming instead of the guitar (I don't get the comparison with Freddie Mercury at all, it's funny how we feel things differently). Might very well be proved wrong once I listen to the whole thing.

Go on youtube and listen to the struts cover of get lucky and you'll relieze the comparison

Still not seeing the comparison, plus Freddie Mercury wouldn't do random covers. They'd do a duet, I don't think you'd hear Luke Spiller at all, he has maybe 1% of the power and technique of Freddie Mercury.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 03:49

Not 'Wild' ... mistake ... It's 'Dreaming in the Wind' ! :)
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 07:03

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 23 2014, 21:43)
Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 23 2014, 15:09)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 23 2014, 14:19)
One thing bothers me so far, to my ears the guitar solos are muffled. Am I the only one to feel it that way? Not as sharp and screaming as usual, the singer being responsible for screaming instead of the guitar (I don't get the comparison with Freddie Mercury at all, it's funny how we feel things differently). Might very well be proved wrong once I listen to the whole thing.

Go on youtube and listen to the struts cover of get lucky and you'll relieze the comparison

Still not seeing the comparison, plus Freddie Mercury wouldn't do random covers. They'd do a duet, I don't think you'd hear Luke Spiller at all, he has maybe 1% of the power and technique of Freddie Mercury.

Think your stuck on past mate,move with times.there's comparison's,but you don't want to become an X factor copy do you.music forever changes as does singing styles and attitude
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 15:47

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 07:03)
Think your stuck on past mate,move with times...

I like some contemporary vocalists, but the sound of Luke Spiller grates on my nerves; just like some singers from the past used to, only more painful.  :D
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 17:53

Quote (First_Excursion @ Feb. 24 2014, 15:47)
Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 07:03)
Think your stuck on past mate,move with times...

I like some contemporary vocalists, but the sound of Luke Spiller grates on my nerves; just like some singers from the past used to, only more painful.  :D

I'm sure the record company's are in a far better position to judge on a vocalist than me or you,after all they know there business.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 19:18

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 21:53)
I'm sure the record company's are in a far better position to judge on a vocalist than me or you,after all they know there business.

Whatever First_Excursion's background is, he's perfectly entitled to say Luke's voice grates on his nerves. If the answer to every statement on this forum was "well there's someone who knows more about that than you do" we'd quickly find ourselves with very little space for debate (though does anyone else know what grates on First_Excursions nerves more than he does?).

What sells and what counts as 'good' by whatever standards a particular individual uses for assessment can be two very different things - the record companies are interested primarily in the former, so for example, a singer who fits their profile of someone that's marketable (which includes their image and personality, and what kind of following they've built up already) is far far more important than, for example, their technical musical ability.

That then leads to the question of what makes someone a good singer - does it depend on their musical ability (judged on, for example, intonation, control, range, the ability to effectively interpret the song and so on) or on their ability to sell records...and to what extent does the latter depend on the former?

Amarok could be taken as a further example - a large number of fans would say that album is good, but it didn't sell all that well...so if the record companies know best about what's good, and what's good to them is whatever sells, then is Amarok a bad album? Is Ommadawn a worse album than Tubular Bells for similar reasons? Were they less marketable or less well marketed, or both? There was certainly a time when I'd regularly spot articles and reviews which seemed to essentially  take the viewpoint that Tubular Bells was the only good album Mike had ever done...

Answers on a postcard (or a message in a bottle, pushed gently in the direction of the Bahamas) ;)
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 19:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 24 2014, 19:18)
Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 21:53)

Whatever First_Excursion's background is, he's perfectly entitled to say Luke's voice grates on his nerves. If the answer to every statement on this forum was "well there's someone who knows more about that than you do" we'd quickly find ourselves with very little space for debate (though does anyone else know what grates on First_Excursions nerves more than he does?).

What sells and what counts as 'good' by whatever standards a particular individual uses for assessment can be two very different things - the record companies are interested primarily in the former, so for example, a singer who fits their profile of someone that's marketable (which includes their image and personality, and what kind of following they've built up already) is far far more important than, for example, their technical musical ability.

That then leads to the question of what makes someone a good singer - does it depend on their musical ability (judged on, for example, intonation, control, range, the ability to effectively interpret the song and so on) or on their ability to sell records...and to what extent does the latter depend on the former?

Amarok could be taken as a further example - a large number of fans would say that album is good, but it didn't sell all that well...so if the record companies know best about what's good, and what's good to them is whatever sells, then is Amarok a bad album? Is Ommadawn a worse album than Tubular Bells for similar reasons? Were they less marketable or less well marketed, or both? There was certainly a time when I'd regularly spot articles and reviews which seemed to essentially  take the viewpoint that Tubular Bells was the only good album Mike had ever done...

Answers on a postcard (or a message in a bottle, pushed gently in the direction of the Bahamas) ;)

Think mikes current standing in the music world,means he isn't really in a position to call the shots anymore. Fact of life,that only very few artists have control over record company's. Christ even pink floyd got pressured by bosses.
A lot seem to mention Maggie Reilly,lovely singer,but is that moving with the times.ommadawn 2 I hear also.is there really a market for this album,except for loyal fans.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 20:14

Quote (Black Bunik @ Feb. 23 2014, 05:12)
Listen to Dreaming in the Wind and imagine Maggie would sing it, and tell me what do you think? ;)

Dreaming in the wind reminds me of a-ha/Chris isaak for some reason
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2014, 20:34

I'm feeling a little bit like we lost an opportunity of Mike coming out of retirement and do his thing without any influential record company (even if the record company keeps quiet, the fact to use it influences you, I think) and upload it to the web - record companies seem to be so annoying to deal with while we are so cool on the web. Next time I see him, I ask him: would you rather  sell 100 million albums in your lifetime or sell albums for 100 million years? :p
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 11:00

I'am curious, if there will be another batch of limited edition box sets, because they are sold out now, and i hardly want to buy one... :(
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 12:12

With MO,30 second-snippets don't work...at least for me.I'd love to get the album and then comment. So far,the full tracks so far do sound nice to my ears.Man on the Rocks stands out for me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
falk Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 14:44

i agree  that its hard to judge anything from those clips, but what i sense is, that it is a great album. More qiuet than i had expected, but then Again you do not get the complex buildings. I guess ten small soundclips wouldn´t have gotten even Tubular bells very far,  and that, i suspect you agree, is a great album
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 16:32

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 19:33)
Think mikes current standing in the music world,means he isn't really in a position to call the shots anymore.

I'd be surprised if he wan't calling most of the shots on this. The record company can guide and advise him of course but the last say will reside with him when it comes to the actual content of the music. I think he'll be relatively left alone.  I suspect as long as he delivers a few marketable songs from the album the record company will be happy. If the decision to have Luke Spiller on board is purely a marketing one then he's a bit of an odd choice. The Struts are not a big band. He's not going to sell the album on his name. I may be wrong but I doubt many Struts fans will have even heard of Mike like alone like his style of music.

I'm still kind of surprised Mike didn't go for more of an ensemble cast, similar to Earth Moving, with MOTR. Having a few famous voices in there would have really sold the album. I guess they want paid though and probably want royalties. I suppose with just having one singer the album as a whole might have more focus.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 17:08

And Moonshine could also be a new song by Coldplay I think...  (which doesn't mean anything negative to me  :)   )

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 17:57

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 25 2014, 16:32)
Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 24 2014, 19:33)
Think mikes current standing in the music world,means he isn't really in a position to call the shots anymore.

I'd be surprised if he wan't calling most of the shots on this. The record company can guide and advise him of course but the last say will reside with him when it comes to the actual content of the music. I think he'll be relatively left alone.  I suspect as long as he delivers a few marketable songs from the album the record company will be happy. If the decision to have Luke Spiller on board is purely a marketing one then he's a bit of an odd choice. The Struts are not a big band. He's not going to sell the album on his name. I may be wrong but I doubt many Struts fans will have even heard of Mike like alone like his style of music.

I'm still kind of surprised Mike didn't go for more of an ensemble cast, similar to Earth Moving, with MOTR. Having a few famous voices in there would have really sold the album. I guess they want paid though and probably want royalties. I suppose with just having one singer the album as a whole might have more focus.

tbh im glad hes moved away from the earth moving,heavens open style songs.think he may have teamed up like rumoured with don black on song structuring and lyrics.these songs are way different to anything done previously,these alot of bluesy/stones riffs in these songs.
luke spiller could be a great choice,they will be a major band in the near future.his presence could open up doors for mike,while mike will clearly open up doors for the struts.think there a killer of a band,bit of attitude about them.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 18:00

Quote (Starwatcher @ Feb. 25 2014, 17:08)

And Moonshine could also be a new song by Coldplay I think...  (which doesn't mean anything negative to me  :)   )

heard various clips of moonshine,think there is a lot of changes in that song,which again points to the fact that mike has worked with don black on song construction.your right about coldplay sound,bit of the edge[u2] thrown in also,great guitar rift in there too.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 18:03

finally some positive posts.dont post on here much but there seems to be alot of clicks taking sides.people seem to be stuck in timewarp wanting him to go back in timemachine and rehash previous and now dated works.let mike do what he wants,he's a big boy now.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 21:01

Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 25 2014, 15:03)
finally some positive posts.dont post on here much but there seems to be alot of clicks taking sides.people seem to be stuck in timewarp wanting him to go back in timemachine and rehash previous and now dated works.let mike do what he wants,he's a big boy now.

Not liking something just released doesn't necessarily mean you don't want novelty. What's dated to me if something that people describe as sounding like the Rolling Stones.
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 02:49

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 25 2014, 21:01)
Quote (Andy_Swizz @ Feb. 25 2014, 15:03)

Not liking something just released doesn't necessarily mean you don't want novelty. What's dated to me if something that people describe as sounding like the Rolling Stones.

Think you'll find I said stones riff.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 03:56

Though there are obviously retro sounding tracks on the album it mostly sounds fresh to my ears as far as one can tell from the samples alone. It seems to be imbued with energy, emotion, great tunes and not least Mike's wonderful guitar playing !!!! I think it's going to exceed my expectations.

I know it may be rash but I've already stated on Mike's FB group that this may well be the first song-based album to sit comfortable beside Mike's instrumental masterpieces and NOT feel ashamed !!!! :) ... if albums can feel anything :D
Profile PM 
92 replies since Feb. 22 2014, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net