Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man On the Rocks EP to be released on Aug 4th< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 04 2014, 10:51

Quote (Covenant @ Aug. 04 2014, 01:53)
Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 01 2014, 00:20)
Quote (Covenant @ July 16 2014, 01:38)
Quote (Olivier @ July 15 2014, 18:33)
Quote (daulfes @ July 15 2014, 09:16)
There is no such thing as an iTunes EP. EPs are vinyl, or in a pinch CDs.

seeing tons of them: https://www.google.com/search?q=itunes+ep

Marketing garbage.

EP stands for Extended Play... How can a digital download be "extended"?

It's not the download that's extended, it's the play.

Exactly... hence, a download cannot be an extended play.

I'm lost. It's not like they pretend it's a vinyl or it's a CD. They say extended play, like they say album or they say single, right? It's about duration, not physical support.

You can have extended play CDs, extended play vinyls, extended play downloads.

Oh, I think I see what you mean. A long time ago "EP" meant "vinyl other than 78 rpm". Is this it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play
An extended play (EP) is a musical recording that contains more music than a single, but is usually too short to qualify as a full studio album or LP. The term EP originally referred to specific types of vinyl records other than 78 rpm standard play (SP) records and LP records,[1] but it is now applied to mid-length Compact Discs and music downloads as well.
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2014, 04:33

That's it. An EP is a vinyl recording, 7" or sometimes 12". Playback speed is 45rpm, on rare occasions 33,33rpm (see f.i. Mike Oldfield's promo single for TB, number PR196). EPs don't necessarily play longer then singels. There are standard singles playing time was up to 8min (see f.i. HEY JUDE from The Beatles), on the other hands, almost all Beatles EPs have a play time below 5min.

In the eighties, the EP format was transferres to CD, which is kind of strange, since a CD does not have the time constraints of a vinyl single.

And as for downloads, it is simply a marketing gag.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2014, 12:42

EP or not... but where's the download ?
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2014, 19:28

Quote (stpaul @ Aug. 05 2014, 09:42)
EP or not... but where's the download ?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/man-on-the-rocks-single/id901407166

Well, at least one person agrees with me on the meaning of EP. (The wikipedia writer.)
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2014, 12:44

thanks
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2014, 11:02

In a digital age, I believe it would have to be defined by what you receive once you click the final button of the purchase.  Four tracks instead of just the one?  EP - QED!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2014, 04:53

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Aug. 09 2014, 16:02)
In a digital age, I believe it would have to be defined by what you receive once you click the final button of the purchase.  Four tracks instead of just the one?  EP - QED!

Not when you can buy an album the same way.

Digital has no real *upper limit* on the download. EP makes no sense.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2014, 23:20

Quote (Covenant @ Aug. 11 2014, 01:53)

It makes sense to me. When I see EP I think a single with extra tacks.

single > EP > album > box set

vinyl | cassette | CD | download

Box set, I'd agree it's misleading, as there is no box involved, but then one of the biggest file sharing company is named www.box.com. But Extended Play doesn't mention "vinyl" at all in its name, it's just "extended play" relatively to the play of a single. Some vinyls were singles, some were EPs, some were albums. Now some downloads are singles, some are EPS, some are albums.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2014, 04:41

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 12 2014, 04:20)
Quote (Covenant @ Aug. 11 2014, 01:53)

It makes sense to me. When I see EP I think a single with extra tacks.

single > EP > album > box set

vinyl | cassette | CD | download

Box set, I'd agree it's misleading, as there is no box involved, but then one of the biggest file sharing company is named www.box.com. But Extended Play doesn't mention "vinyl" at all in its name, it's just "extended play" relatively to the play of a single. Some vinyls were singles, some were EPs, some were albums. Now some downloads are singles, some are EPS, some are albums.

Nahhhhhh     :D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2014, 05:26

I do not want to be picky, but EP is VERY vinyl specific. There is a significant technical difference between singles and EPs, which is a more narrow distance between the grooves. This resulted from the beginning of vinyl recordings, where the "FÜLLSCHRIFT" procedure made longer playback times possible
As with digital media, there is no need to find technical tricks to extend playback time, which is a blessing on one hand. On the other hand, real EPs today are VERY rare....only speaking of vinyls, of course.

In times where many music lovers only know music as MP3 or AAC, it probably doesn't make any difference to explain the specialties of the vinyl era. Also, listening habits have changed a lot and unfortunately many people today don't even know how wonderful a vinyl LP can sound. Even CDs appear to be forgotten...this is to all cloth-eared nincompoops out there ;-)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2014, 09:25

So how should we call a 4 track release? A quadruple?
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2014, 13:32

Did I miss something or is this thread about the actual single for MOTR and NOT about pettiness over the technicality of an acronym?!
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2014, 04:38

Quote (christopher @ Aug. 13 2014, 18:32)
Did I miss something or is this thread about the actual single for MOTR and NOT about pettiness over the technicality of an acronym?!

Handbags at dawn!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2014, 00:32

Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2014, 04:56

Dammit my work machine won't let me open pictures in seperate windows to post in here...

Just imagine a picture of a bag like Captain America's shield in here!!

:D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
34 replies since July 08 2014, 16:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net