Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks Deluxe Edition and boxed set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olly Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 17:33

Quote (Elf @ Mar. 02 2014, 16:52)
Quote (Olly @ Mar. 02 2014, 15:54)
Deluxe version is now on spotify

Not in Norway

Ok. It is a bit strange, because in Finland it is there.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 17:35

Wonderful guitar solo on I Give Myself Away. Absolutely STUNNING!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 05:52

The solo from Castaway is just outstanding. It's the most soulful and emotional work, since the Crystal Clear, where he played one of his best guitar solos, in my opinion. Castaway is one of the best Mike's songs ever for me. I just can't stop to listen to it. Amazing.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 06:48

Castaway, Man on the Rocks, Dreaming in the Wind, Nuclear ... - there is a lot of wonderful, very expressive and emotional guitar in it. Wonderful work at all, thank you Mike, Luke and all the other Mans on the Rocks!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 10:02

Yes, it's really great. For me Moonshine turns out as one of the best songs MO ever has written.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 13:35

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 02 2014, 11:59)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 28 2014, 18:04)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 27 2014, 19:18)
Anybody tracking the influences?
Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, U2, Mark Knopfler, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, totally Rolling Stones,...

So in a way it's a Guitars 2 album?

Plus: Toto, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, Meat Loaf (http://www.theguardian.com/music....-review)

Plus Fleetwood Mac too, I read it somewhere.

Also, wanted to add that the rest of the album makes me like Sailing better. Kind of weird, shows that the album is not just a group on of unrelated music, I guess.

Plus Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and ZZ Top, from Amazon reviews.

With Millennium Bell, I think Mike tried to capture many styles of music through different periods. Here it seems he succeeded capturing rock, in the ears of some people. When you think about the same man can write an album reviewed as sounding like nothing ever before an this one reviewed as sounding like literally dozens of other artists.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 14:55

I've been listening to the album all day at work, and the first five tracks are a snooze fest. Ok, Sailing does stick in your head, but it's not a very good song.

But then Dreaming in the Wind starts.That track is beautiful! And when it's followed by Nuclear, it gets even better. But the Chariots... oh my... one of the best songs Mike has ever done. It's really, really good, and incredibly catchy. It should be the next single, if you ask me.

Sadly the album goes in to bland pop land again after that. Irene has it's moments, kinda like an old fashioned rock song from the 70s, which I like. Three great songs and one ok song out of 11? Sorry, this album will be in my shelf collecting dust, like most of Mike's output after TSODE.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 16:42

Why is Spiller yawning in Castaway? Such a weird song, boring on purpose.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 09:10

Just got my Super Deluxe Edition! Played the instrumental CD. My favourite track, Castaway, sounds just incredible, especially from 2:20, when the guitar "engine" starts, and then this awesome solo... Amazing! Instrumental version of this track isn't just a vocal removed. The background riff starting at 2:20 is present on the whole solo section, what makes the track even more powerfull, and IMHO this sounds much more properly and coherent, than the vocal version. I don't know if the rest of instrumental tracks are also a different mixes, but i will do a check soon. :)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2014, 17:01

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 03 2014, 10:35)
Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 02 2014, 11:59)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 28 2014, 18:04)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 27 2014, 19:18)
Anybody tracking the influences?
Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, U2, Mark Knopfler, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, totally Rolling Stones,...

So in a way it's a Guitars 2 album?

Plus: Toto, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, Meat Loaf (http://www.theguardian.com/music....-review)

Plus Fleetwood Mac too, I read it somewhere.

Also, wanted to add that the rest of the album makes me like Sailing better. Kind of weird, shows that the album is not just a group on of unrelated music, I guess.

Plus Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and ZZ Top, from Amazon reviews.

With Millennium Bell, I think Mike tried to capture many styles of music through different periods. Here it seems he succeeded capturing rock, in the ears of some people. When you think about the same man can write an album reviewed as sounding like nothing ever before an this one reviewed as sounding like literally dozens of other artists.

Plus Chris de Burgh, Cliff Richard collaborating with Westlife, Scorpions (from http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-en....199397)

Personal lyrics. Not personal music?
I like the opposite better, universal lyrics you can refer too or ignore, and unique music. I don't really rare to listen to somebody lamenting about his life, abstracting the introspection into music work much better for me.
Profile PM 
69 replies since Jan. 10 2014, 09:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net