Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks Deluxe Edition and boxed set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
svalbard Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 19:40

Hi I got my box set delivered today and have been playing the first CD all evening. I was worried when I heard it was all vocal short tracks and we were getting another earths moving but rest assured  this is anything but? All the songs are fantastic and I think this wil be a big album with lots of hits for him.
Best tracks are MOTR which is very Pink Floyd, Moonshine very folky, Minutes which reminds be of Crowded House, Following the Angels which is just gorgeous and a personal reelection about London 2012 and Irene which is totally Rolling Stones.
I have also heard the 4 alternative mixes which I actually like even better.
It's not ommadawn or incantations true but neither is it islands or earth moving. It's certainly the best collection on one album of mike oldfield songs and I think you will love it. Lyrically it's very strong and you can't knock Luke Spiller who is superb.
The instrumentals I have not heard but suspect they are just the vocals removed rather than new versions but will listed to them next.
In summary very very happy with the new album and will attract lots of new fans if marketed well .
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 22:18

Anybody tracking the influences?
Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, U2, Mark Knopfler, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, totally Rolling Stones,...

So in a way it's a Guitars 2 album?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 01:52

I can't wait for Amazon to deliver, so I'm downloading the Deluxe Edition from iTunes right now! Wohooo!  :cool:
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 03:50

I believe that the box set is not limited at all. My friend who work in the local record store said that he can order it for me from Universal Finland which has this "super deluxe edition" already in their stock. Also a couple of another record stores here have it on their list. I am a little bit angry to Universal, because they made me and us to believe it is the only place to order or buy the box.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 04:17

Quote (Olly @ Feb. 28 2014, 03:50)
I believe that the box set is not limited at all. My friend who work in the local record store said that he can order it for me from Universal Finland which has this "super deluxe edition" already in their stock. Also a couple of another record stores here have it on their list. I am a little bit angry to Universal, because they made me and us to believe it is the only place to order or buy the box.

Typical Universal. I'm not surprised if the blue vinyl version also starts popping up all over the place
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 04:56

Got my Super Deluxe yesterday evening along with a tax rebate, I'm up on the day !

As mentioned above, it's not Omadawn, never expected that.
Some good tracks, instrumental album makes me think of Guitars.

Very happy with the set, listened last night on the Stereo, then hummed along in the car this morning.

Like the "Dreaming in the Wind" one.
Profile PM 
svalbard Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 08:58

Hi how can you get the iTunes downloaded straight away as it's stil days available on Monday 3rd?
Thanks
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 11:05

How come people have their CD's already. Thought it was not released till 3rd March???

Still waiting for mine to arrive.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 11:22

Quote (svalbard @ Feb. 28 2014, 14:58)
Hi how can you get the iTunes downloaded straight away as it's stil days available on Monday 3rd?
Thanks

Depends on which country you're in.  :)
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 11:30

Well, I could not stand and have downloaded it now at http://www.highresaudio.com as FLAC files, for 15 Euro, which is comparable expensive for the 11 song files, but the quality is very good.
BUT you have to use a mediaplayer like VLC to hear it. I convertet it with another audio-software to mp3, to make it usable for itunes & co. That was succesful.

And my very first impression: really good stuff, far away from Earthmoving - as Mike told us before - that is a real rock album. A lot of guitars in it!!!!!  :cool:

P.S. : The FLAC files are much bigger than MP3s, so please expect an download about 699 MB at all!!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 21:04

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 27 2014, 19:18)
Freddie Mercury, Pink Floyd, U2, Mark Knopfler, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, totally Rolling Stones,...

Plus: Toto, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, Meat Loaf (http://www.theguardian.com/music....-review)
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 00:03

Got it yesterday from iTunes.
Quite impressed all round..Fave at the moment would be Castaway...I'm hearing it as Cast Away though in it's meaning..

I think it will surprise some detractors..
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2014, 05:07

Also I was expecting nothing, I have to admit this album is really great...

- sounds highly dynamic
- sharp rhythm guitars [like on Crises]
- good lyrics
- suberb guitar solos
- the songs are structured very well
- the sound is very crispy
- Luke Spiller is a good vocal performer

smash hits :-)
Man On The Rocks
Moonshine
Nuclear
Dreaming In The Wind
Chariots
Castaway

minus:
- Following The Angels
- I'm missing a female voice

Now I'm waiting the box set to arrive. Here you can listen to demos:

excerpts of the demos
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 13:07

All you lucky people out there! Amazon Germany says the box set can't be delivered until Friday 7th...    :/

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 13:17

Quote (Starwatcher @ Mar. 02 2014, 13:07)
All you lucky people out there! Amazon Germany says the box set can't be delivered until Friday 7th...    :/

Is it still possible to order the box set from amazon? I have bought my copy from ebay from the guy, who ordered it directly from Universal...
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 14:50

On amazon.de it's still possible to order it for 29,90 EUR.

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 14:59

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 28 2014, 18:04)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 27 2014, 19:18)

Plus: Toto, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, Meat Loaf (http://www.theguardian.com/music....-review)

Plus Fleetwood Mac too, I read it somewhere.

Also, wanted to add that the rest of the album makes me like Sailing better. Kind of weird, shows that the album is not just a group on of unrelated music, I guess.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 15:54

Deluxe version is now on spotify
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 16:18

Can't believe that Universal have only issued 750 copies of the box set. Surely Mike has more dedicated fans out there than that, who will want the extra material of the demos with Mike singing? From the snippets I have heard think I am going to prefer Mike's singing to Luke's :)

Also don't understand why Amazon UK were not allowed to sell the box set. But Amazon in Germany can? Very weird marketing?

I canceled my order for the deluxe set, and have just ordered the box set from Amazon Germany for €25.20, and with tax and shipping to the UK works out at less than £29.

Cheaper than what Universal wanted, once you have added in their postage. Always nice to get a bargain.

Anyone still looking for the box set I suggest they use Amazon.de for the best deal.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 16:52

Quote (Olly @ Mar. 02 2014, 15:54)
Deluxe version is now on spotify

Not in Norway
Profile PM 
69 replies since Jan. 10 2014, 09:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net