Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Man on the Rocks acoustic video< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 06:52

the studio version is very lovely.. remains me of "the island" album and "earth moving" .. I think hes got lovely vocals. The acoustic version there is nice, but would be more great without the screaming.. :/  i think this album will be my summer track!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 07:12

Better than Sailing….. Lovely build.
Its very well recorded and Mike's guitar sounds lovely…
BUT>>>>
I just can't watch the posing singer???….and he voice is not for me……
Its OK, but just doesn't have any emotion.
Nice to hear that lovely guitar playing though…..
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 17:58

Earth Moving Part II, just with the same singer on every track and more modern production. Caroline Monk said "Man on the rocks" is the best track on the album. I certainly hope she is wrong. My outlook remains cautiously hopeful for some actual rock and roll, of which so far I have heard nothing resembling the genre.

Big risk using the same singer for the entire album. Bit of a heavy handed approach as most fans will either love or hate him (me, I'm still on the fence of whether or not an imitation Freddy Mercury is appropriate for Mike's music) but that is obviously what Mike wants.

I apologize for the negativity, but these are my feelings. I want to hear all the songs in sequence and within the context of the album. Maybe then I will "get it".
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 19:30

Dear God, am I the ONLY person who wants to hear the whole goddamed album when its actually released and no pre-judge it via snippets squeezed under the bottom of the door frame?

The world has gone bonkers.

Whatever it sounds like I'll give it several listens before I rush to judgements, unlike 99% of folks here, who don't really seem to understand how his music works at all.

And whatever it sounds like, alas; Mike is looking old. Old Oldfield. Just keep those fingers working!
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 19:51

To be fair we've heard more than snippets. We've heard 2 full songs, one being the album's title track. Considering there are 11 tracks on the album, 10 being originals, that's 20% of the album. Granted that isn't a lot, but unless the rest of the album is TOTALLY different and they are trying to mislead people about the album's sound (which makes no sense commercially) then I think its safe to assume the rest will be along the lines of "Sailing" and "Man on the rocks".

But I do agree about wanting to hear the whole album all together and in that context. I've had mine preordered since December. Even on Mike's worst albums I have found moments that I enjoy so I'm hoping that even if this turns out to be one of my least favorite albums there will at least be a few tracks that will justify the purchase.
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 19:53

Quote (Marky @ Feb. 21 2014, 19:30)
99% of folks here, who don't really seem to understand how his music works at all.

And what does THIS mean? Please explain how his music works.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 00:28

I think that's a complex issue right there. I love the idea of albums being made as albums, where there's a commonality which flows between the songs and makes it greater than the sum of its parts. That said, especially in a musical culture driven by singles and individual downloads, songs tend to be expected to stand alone, especially the ones which are actually chosen as singles.

I think if these had been leaked, there'd be a stronger case for arguing that we should wait before judging them (though still, what Gus said about them being full songs still does hold - even if they're part of some kind of song cycle, they ought to work on their own...but, for example, I think On Horseback fulfils a role within Ommadawn which can't really be understood without hearing it in context). As it is, these have been released officially by the record company, presumably in consultation with Mike, even courting heavy radio play in the case of Sailing. They're suggesting this is a taste of what's to come, inviting discussion, trying to pique interest.

Because of that, I think it's perfectly fair to judge them in the form they've been presented in, as stand-alone songs. They've been chosen to represent the album - whether, once we've all heard the album, we feel they picked truly representative songs or not is of course another matter, but that's what they've chosen, and that's what people are discussing here. If Mike had wanted to make a strong statement with this album, saying there will be no single and no tracks available individually as downloads, that it has to be heard as a whole for it to make any sense, I'd again be more likely to agree that people should resist any temptation to listen to snippets, but that's not the situation we're looking at right now. I guess there's still the chance that people who don't like these two songs will find something else to like amongst the others, but the more tracks are released, the more people can get an idea of the overall aesthetic of the album.

Not everyone's going to like everything he does, that's really what it all comes down to - this is an album of commercial rock songs for the Radio 2 audience, it's not going to please the people who are holding out for another Amarok...or even another Millennium Bell...
Profile PM 
Richard Branson Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 10:40

Quote (GusFogle @ Feb. 21 2014, 17:58)
Earth Moving Part II, just with the same singer on every track and more modern production.

Sounds fine to me. Better than an Amarok II with just a piano and a bass in any case. ;)

Man on the Rocks is the best song by Mr. Oldfield that I've heard in ages. I was sceptical about Luke Spiller at first, but not anymore. I for one am going to love this new album.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 12:52

LOL
Thank you for that Mr. Branson you made my day  :p
Profile PM WEB 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 19:14

In contrast to Sailing (where I needed several listenings to accept that it is really a song by Mike) Man on the rocks captured me from the first moment on. The music, the lyrics, everything!
Although - as a lot of you have already said - I can hardly stand Luke's posing in the videos I really appreciate his voice. So at last I think it was a good idea to choose him for the vocal parts. Perhaps it will be better for me not to watch any more videos but to wait patiently two more weeks until I can listen (and only LISTEN  ;)    ) to the full album. If I only were not so curious about new material...     :/

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 10:25

More to watch and listen  :)

Chariots - really unplugged:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp....1_fb_lk

The story of ... II - with parts of Moonshine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJNudzaYetE
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 11:59

Heiner
Thanks for posting the MOTR Part 2 link. I've been searching Youtube without success! Enjoyed the 'Chariot' video too. :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 15:30

beuatiful acoustic version. little to much screming in the vocals maybe, but the lyrics stand up to  mike oldfields best
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 15:46

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 22 2014, 06:28)
Not everyone's going to like everything he does, that's really what it all comes down to - this is an album of commercial rock songs for the Radio 2 audience, it's not going to please the people who are holding out for another Amarok...or even another Millennium Bell...

Very well said, Richard.

:zzz:
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2014, 05:02

Spotify uk have got the MOTR deluxe edition available, but they have dropped a clanger and posted Mikes demo disk instead of the Luke Spiller vocals.
Profile PM 
34 replies since Feb. 18 2014, 15:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net