Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Magic Touch, Islands, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 09:08

When I lived in Gloucestershire, Steve Winwood was a fairly frequent visitor. He lived quite close to Througham where I lived. When I moved away from Gloucestershire we kept in touch and when Moonlight Shadow was a big hit he called me and asked me to write something for him. I thought it was a great idea and spent the next few months writing a song. But in the meantime he'd gone to the States and recorded Back in the High Life and had a hit with Higher Love. I presented him with my humble offering shortly after, but by that time he'd gone off into the stratosphere in terms of superstardom and didn't seem interested in recording the song I'd written. That was Magic Touch. I found a singer called Max Bacon* to sing on it and he did a very good job. It's a great track, and Virgin made a great promotional video and I edited the video at my own studio.

I spent ages working on the track Islands and was having trouble thinking of a good singer who could do justice to the song. I got in contact with Bonnie Tyler and asked her if she would sing on the track and to my delight, she agreed. She came to the studio with her husband and as soon as she sang the first few notes of the song I got a huge lump in my throat and the whole song came to life. She was a lovely lady with a very special voice. Andy Mackay from Roxy Music played oboe on the track and I was very happy with it.

*as noted elsewhere on this thread, despite the mention of Max Bacon, the version of Magic Touch on this compilation is sung by Jim Price.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2012, 14:05

This has all but confirmed something I've long suspected about the Magic Touch video which is this: that Alex Proyas delivered what he considered to be a finished and classy looking promotional video and then Oldfield, having final cut on it, put it into his own editing suite and added his little computer generated drummer and things onto it.

I never saw it on, say, MTV at the time (not least as I had no way of seeing such a thing) so I don't know if there was a version outside of the Wind Chimes video that DIDN'T have these additions but I'd suspect not. Shame, really.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 05:58

Some Say a portion of the Max Bacon Vocals are used on the Jim Price Track as Well... Not sure about that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EVdfwK3m8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMr51gJ7yg&feature=related

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 12:39

The "a thief in the night" pre-chorus bit has another male voice in which might be Price multi-tracked or might be some background Bacon.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 18:13

I think it's Barry Palmer. He did backing vocals (mostly uncredited) on the whole album. Anyway, I always thought that the best way to distinguish the vocalists was to listen to their pronunciation of the title word "magic". Right now I don't remember which is who, but one singer says "may-geek" and the other says "mage-ick". :) The two versions above both say "mage-ick", so they're the same.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Southside Jimmy Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2019, 17:41

Hi guys.  I've no idea who did the backing vocals.  They were recorded before I got there.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 09:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net