Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Magic Touch< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Craig Evans Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 11:58

Has anyeone noticed a difference between the vocals on the Magic Touch from the Remastered Uk version of Islands and the video version of Magic Touch?

I think the difference is that Max Bacon sings on the Magic Touch from the Remastered Uk version of Islands and John Fish sings on the Elements DVD video version of Magic Touch.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 17:49

Apart from the fact that the singer's name is Jim Price and not John Fish [who the heck is he??? :D], I think that the reverse is true. The vocals, yes, are noticeably different because Max Bacon, AFAIK, sang the song on the original American (not UK) release of Islands, while Jim Price sang it on the original European release. I've no idea of the awful mess they created with the remasters :), but I think that in the original releases the situation was like that. As far as the video version is concerned, well, I don't have the DVD (yet), so I can't check it, but if it's the same as in the Wind Chimes video album (of which I have a mpeg version), then the vocals in it are sung by Max Bacon.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 03:48

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 01 2005, 17:49)
Apart from the fact that the singer's name is Jim Price and not John Fish [who the heck is he??? :D], I think that the reverse is true.

Sorry about that Ugo.  I got the Surname 'Fish' from the "Thanks also" list in the Earth Moving page (http://tubular.net/discography/EarthMoving.shtml) in Tubular.net and I was wondering if it was possable that the different vocals on Magic Touch might have been done by Fish.  I am sorry I forgot it was Jim Price who song the different vocals on Magic Touch and I guess I just misheard Fish's firstname 'John' from elsewere.  :)  :)

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 01 2005, 17:49)
The vocals, yes, are noticeably different because Max Bacon, AFAIK, sang the song on the original American (not UK) release of Islands, while Jim Price sang it on the original European release. I've no idea of the awful mess they created with the remasters , but I think that in the original releases the situation was like that. As far as the video version is concerned, well, I don't have the DVD (yet), so I can't check it, but if it's the same as in the Wind Chimes video album (of which I have a mpeg version), then the vocals in it are sung by Max Bacon.
Thankyou Ugo.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 06:10

Does anyone know the reason for this change in vocalist? It seems quite unnecessary to me. They also changed the album cover, which to me seems even more strange.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 07:49

Well, first of all happy new year to everybody!!! :)

And now I'll try to throw some light about the matter. There are four different versions of Magic Touch:
-The US version (also known as Original Mix).
-Edit version.
-Video version.
-Standard version (I prefer not to call it UK version because this version appears in all the countries in which Islands is being sold including the present version on the US which is the HDCD version).

AFAIK the original singer for this song was Max Bacon (maybe this is why the US version is called the original one) but his american accent made him be replaced by Jim Price who has a more neutrak accent. At least this is what I have heard and read but maybe it was the other way round and he was selected to sing the song in the american version to make it more comercial there.

The thing is that Jim Price only sings the standard one and the other three have Max Bacon on vocals. This is the only difference between the standar and the US version. The edit version is the same as the US version but with some parts missing (the excellent guitar solo for instance :( ) and a fade out at the end. The video version also ends with a fade out but it has an slightly different mix (some guitar parts that are not on the original mix or sound clearer, some new background vocals and chorus repeating some words from the main vocals...).

Where could you find all of them? The standard one in every standard Islands album (LP or CD), the one with the island picture on the cover. The US version/original mix can be found on the US version of Islands album, the one with the black and white cover, and on the A Virgin Compilation album. Also on this compilation, hard to belive or not :) , is also included the edit version which also can be found on the 7" and 12" of MT. The video version AFAIK can be only found... on the video of MT of course. I only have The Wind Chimes version of the video but I assume that there's no more versions of this video (so, the one included on Elements DVD should be the same ;) ).

Craig Evans said:
Sorry about that Ugo.  I got the Surname 'Fish' from the "Thanks also" list in the Earth Moving page (http://tubular.net/discography/EarthMoving.shtml) in Tubular.net and I was wondering if it was possable that the different vocals on Magic Touch might have been done by Fish.

I can't get the point. MT is from Islands, how did you connected with the "Thanks also" of EM?  :O

raven4x4x said:
Does anyone know the reason for this change in vocalist? It seems quite unnecessary to me. They also changed the album cover, which to me seems even more strange.

Well, apart from what I have mention before it is very clear for me that these changes in the US edition are for promotional reasons (similar to Airborne as the US version of Platinum). Also the tracklist is slightly different and on some CD versions TWC is splitted in 2 tracks.

Uff, what a big answer. Thank you to everybody that have had the strenght to read the full post :-)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 12:57

It's more to do with contracts - Mike originally wanted Max Bacon to sing it, but due to his contract, the version with his vocals could only be released in the US.

Jim Price was then called in to do a new version, which he did, attempting to hide his Scottish accent at the request of Mike and Geoff Downes. The singer on the video definitely has a scottish accent, but it doesn't sound like the vocal which is on my UK copies of the album. Those are all I have to hand right now, but the singer on the video doesn't sound like how I remember Max Bacon sounding (though logic would say that if it's not Jim Price, it must be him...) - I believe he is less Scottish sounding, not more (not sure where he's from actually).

Mike did also try the song with John Payne, now singer/bassist with Asia...I'm not sure if that information's useful here or not, but it could be...

Mike did try recording Islands with Fish, as well as Earth Moving (and Heaven's Open, apparently). His performances were ultimately rejected, apparently, because he sang with a Scottish accent. Hmm...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 16:44

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 02 2005, 12:57)
Mike did try recording Islands with Fish, as well as Earth Moving (and Heaven's Open, apparently). His performances were ultimately rejected, apparently, because he sang with a Scottish accent. Hmm...

Isn't Fish the guy from Marillion which sounds (or, at least, try to sound) just like Peter Gabriel? Why not call Peter himself, then, since he has no Scottish accent that I know of? That would have rocked...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 19:23

the singer on the video doesn't sound like I remember Max Bacon sounding [...]

@ Korgscrew: I don't know if you remember the discussion we had on the chat room quite a while ago, with Inkanta and others, about the different pronunciation of the word 'magic' being the distinguishing element between the two versions. Max Bacon sings it as 'ma-jayk', Jim Price sings it as 'may-geek'. :) The voice on the video - I just checked it - says 'ma-jayk'. ;) Could the video version be a mixture of both vocals?

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2005, 09:48

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 02 2005, 18:57)

The songs Islands, Earth Moving and Heaven's Open or the whole albums? And funny that he didn't realize the first time around he didn't like the accent... must have been quite frustrating for Fish to be rejected no less than three times. :)

BTW, Fish sounds nothing like Peter Gabriel, and I don't think he tried to either. I'm not really sure where this Marillion = Genesis rip-off idea that people have comes from, but in my book the two bands are lightyears apart (well, not really lightyears, but still :)). If Marillion ever were slightly reminiscent of Genesis, then of their early threepiece period (And Then There Were Three, Duke), which obviously had Phil Collins on vocals.

As for the name: "Fish" is not his surname, it's his pseudonym. His real name is Derek William Dick.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2005, 19:19

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 03 2005, 15:48)
Fish sounds nothing like Peter Gabriel, and I don't think he tried to either.

[Off topic reply... slightly :)]

@ Holger: he may not sound like Peter Gabriel, but on the only Marillion song I really like, "Sugar mice", IMHO he does sound quite like Phil Collins in his earliest lead-singer-of-Genesis incarnation (i.e. in the very same albums you are quoting). So I think that there is a link, after all, between Marillion and Genesis. ;) And BTW, in that particular song I can't hear any particular accent. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 08:20

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 02 2005, 16:44)
Isn't Fish the guy from Marillion which sounds (or, at least, try to sound) just like Peter Gabriel? Why not call Peter himself, then, since he has no Scottish accent that I know of? That would have rocked...

I don't think it is a matter of trying to sound like Gabriel. It is just his voice, which happens to sound similar to Collins and Gabriel.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 08:24

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 03 2005, 09:48)
I'm not really sure where this Marillion = Genesis rip-off idea that people have comes from, but in my book the two bands are lightyears apart
As for the name: "Fish" is not his surname, it's his pseudonym. His real name is Derek William Dick.

The early Marillion albums were similar in some ways to the Genesis "Nursery Cryme" era. The comparison between the two solidified a little when Fish "pulled a Peter Gabriel" and left after the first few albums. The Marillion sound, like that of Genesis, changed significantly after this.

Derek W Dick got his nickname not because he drinks like a fish (which he did for quite some time), but because at one time he rented a flat in which he was only allowed to use the shared bath once a week. When he had his chance to use it, he stayed in the water for hours.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 08:58

I had read about the Genesis/Marillion thing once, but I didn't give it much credit. But when I put "Misplaced Childhood" for the first time, Fish just needed to sing three or four words for me to immediately think "PETER GABRIEL". Maybe his voice is very similar, but I do think there was a bit of effort to get closer to his graceful style and intonations, at least on that album. Even the guitarist tries to play like Steve Hackett, so I don't think the Genesis comparison is too gratuitous. I don't have any bad feelings about Marillion, though I don't like "Misplaced Childhood" at all.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 09:02

I like "Misplaced Childhood" a lot, more than the previous ones. But it is "Clutching at Straws" that made Marillion one of my favorite bands.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Southside Jimmy Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2019, 17:56

Hi folks. Max originally sang Magic Touch. He was tied contractually though and Mike needed someone else to sing it.  I was working on material with Joel Bogen (of Toyah) and Phil Spalding at the time and we used to go for a drink with Mike on Wednesdays.  He had heard our songs and asked me to sing Magic Touch.  I recorded it with him and Geoff...but they kept asking me to put on a more American accent - that's not me.  So they kept Max on the American version - which suited as he fitted in with his GTR work - and me and my Scottish brogue for the "Rest of the World".  If you want to hear more of that you can check out my band Cain Rising.  Funnily enough we're billed as Americana :-)  If I can help you with any other details just ask.  Jim
Profile PM 
14 replies since Jan. 01 2005, 11:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net