Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maggie Reilly re-records Moonlight Shadow, ...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2009, 11:00

Maggie Reilly's latest album, Looking Back, Moving Forward, contains re-recordings of Moonlight Shadow, To France, and Family Man. Order from Voiceprint, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com, Amazon.ca.

Thanks, manintherain.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 05 2009, 12:02

Hmm. The samples on Amazon really don't sound that great. The "guitar" in To France? Haha. Her voice is still sweet, of course.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2009, 12:19

Anyone ever he the tracks she did with Jack Bruce on his Somethinels album?Ships In The Night in particular is beautiful.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2009, 16:05

Maggie's voice is as sweet as the original recording, but prefer Mike's guitar playing to the recent recording. The original still the best imho
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2009, 16:53

The New Recordings were made to sort of Showcase what Her Band are sounding like now.. So If you go to a Live Gig this is the sort of thing youll get...   Stuart Mackillop is still writing some great stuff.. "Lilith" is the Best Track on the Album... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2009, 02:13

Gee, no one else could do them but Maggie......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2009, 06:37

Why no mistake?  :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Elf Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 17:04

I remember when I interviewed her back in the 90s. Her eyes grew dark when I mentioned Mike Oldfield, and she went on a tirade about what an awful, awful man he was. Her manager had to intervene.

Still, it doesn't stop her from trying to cash in on his music, as she continously mix his songs in between her own bland music on various compilations.

She can't sing live either, just check out most Oldfield bootlegs.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 17:15

Crap  ..  Echoes, Midnight Sun, Elena, are all Fantastic recordings. Sung  Wonderfully.. I Actually rate a lot of her own stuff on a par with the MO Material..

:/

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 17:49

Maggie referring to Mike as an awful man! Thats a bit rich! She gained media exposure on his coat tails! How rude, shame on you Maggie
Profile PM 
ommadawn34 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 18:18

I think those kind of comments are now in the past.
Remember i would imagine that Mike would be a difficult kind of guy to get on with. OK she's a damned good singer . but how many vocalists has Mike used over the years.
Personally I think Maggie has still got a damned good voice.
Pity she is not bringing out more original stuff in the folk music vein.
Mike on the other hand , please bring out new compositions we along with the rest of the world can rave to...........
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 18:23

Quote (ex member 419 @ Nov. 08 2009, 17:49)
Maggie referring to Mike as an awful man! Thats a bit rich! She gained media exposure on his coat tails! How rude, shame on you Maggie

Re: Your duplicate posts: Not sure what is happening, but Olivier is aware of the problem, too. He and Matt also deleted a bunch of your duplicate posts. Those that I just deleted repeated six times, as well. What kind of software are you using?

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 04:27

He can't be that bad as she has Mike as a friend on her Myspace site as well as links to his videos. I listened to an interview on the Hereford radio website and she speaks of working with Mike but doesn't say anything negative.

I can well understand though if she had difficulties with him as it's not the first account I have heard. I am sure he will tell you himself he isn't the easiest person to get on with. The fact that he has no friends speaks volumes.

As for the Maggie re-recordings. The backing sounds like some kind of cheap midi set up.
Profile PM WEB 
Elf Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 05:33

What got up her nose about Mike was that he refused to give her the amount of credit for Moonlight Shadow she felt she deserved. She was annoyed that in interviews Mike only referred to her as "a singer in my band" and likened her efforts to that of the hired drummer, bass player, keyboardist etc.

In the 90s, I guess the credit would have been "Mike Oldfield featuring Maggie Reilly."

As for them being Myspace friends... He he... that doesn't account for anything. Except the odd chance that Oldfield fans might follow Mike's link to her of course...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 07:04

Apart for the bittersweetness of her time that she sang for Mike,she's trying to resurge once again by re-recording the tunes that have put her on the spotlight in the past. So controversial to me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 07:14

Hmmmm.I never knew she was bitter about her time with Mike.Cado Belle weren't doing much.mike asked her to sing in his Group.the group did well and she made the same money as the rest if the band and got her name known.What's the problem Maggie?Sour grapes about not making a bigger name off the back of her time methinks.Besides MS has been known as a Mike Oldfield and Maggie Reilly track around some circles for years anyway.

--------------
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 07:50

I quote from an interview done on the 16.10.1998:

"- It turns out that Mike's sister had been a fan of Cado Belle, and that's how we came in contact. Already on the first night he asked me if I wanted to tour with him.

Thus started a five year, and very stormy, cooperation with Mike Oldfield, that really put Maggie Reilly in the spotlight. Today, Maggie Reilly's voice becomes ice cold when she talks about Oldfield. So ice cold in fact, that her manager has to intervene during her strongest rants.

- Mike had a huge ego. He never appreciated my efforts. Remember, I gave him his first hit single, not the other way around. But he never once gave me credit for my work. On the soundtrack to the 'Killing Fields' he even sampled my voice without my permission. However, she also points out that he also could be very pleasant."

The interview was done when she was promoting her previous compilation, which also included the same three Oldfield tracks.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 07:54

Most people mistake Maggie for his sister Sally or even his wife. Because she recorded every phrase of Moonlight Shadow individual, it sounded clearer and worked. It doesn't in the new version.

I always wondered why she never joined him in later concerts like Berlin or Edinburgh, Then and now tour etc.

She may have a problem with Mike taking the credit but she must have been alright with him socially as she lived in digs in his house. They spent a lot of time together as she was "on tap"
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 09:16

- Mike had a huge ego. He never appreciated my efforts. Remember, I gave him his first hit single, not the other way around.

Er hang on a moment.He wrote the song,he played the song and he produced the song.She sang on the song.Granted she did a beautifull job on it but she did not give Mike his first hit.Far from it.he was already just a bit big by that time and had been in the business for 15 and 10 of those as a solo artist.She's done well enough out of it.Remeber that The Mike Oldfield Group were put on a profit share on the 81 tour and she was a regular member of the group from 80 through 84.
 From reading Changling he is a little terse about it and does seem to have neglected that she was a member of his band and had sung on all his 80's output up to that point but it really does sound like she's bitter about it not launching her career to the heights she thinks it should have.

--------------
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 10:05

Where is this interview where she says this about Mike ? I can't find anything where she complains.

Is it a myth ?
Profile PM WEB 
47 replies since Nov. 05 2009, 11:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net