Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maestro posters< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 28 2004, 11:28

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 28 2004, 10:29)
You nailed my feelings perfectly. Sometimes, I get sick with the attitude of some of these bizarre creatures called "fans". Every step Mike Oldfield takes, fans start complaining that he should be making albums instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike doesn't have any obligation to make music to us.

Now go ahead and flame me. You know you want to.

I'm also with you.Sometimes I get sick,angry and bored with some fans' attitude regarding Mike(or any other artist).It seems that there's lack of respect from the fans to their fav artists really.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 13:26

I'm with you too... don't get me wrong, Mike must do what he likes!! But it's just that I don't agree with Mike anymore with these VR games. They are boring me... I don't agree with the software Mike, I want to see the hardware Mike (if ya know what I mean).

Like Mustapha said: I'm now collection and listening to Vangelis, Jarre and Enigma a lot, because there's no new material of Mike anymore.

It's excately like you said Tati: maybe I would have bought a signed poster of Mike a couple of years ago... but not anymore... if it was a poster with Mike rocking on his guitar (during his times before the VR stuff) I would have bought it for sure!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 13:26

Yeh,i agree fans are a bit opinionated sometimes .But at the end of the day its them who put there hands in there pockets to buy these items.personaly i would rather have an album than a poster but each to their own.and i don't think selling 150 posters is going to fill mikes bank account.so maybe he's just trying to fill a small hole and keep some lucky fans happy while he prepares his next masterpiece.??? :p

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 14:19

The poster does have its advantages. When exploring it, you can save where you left off and come back later by placing a sticky-note somewhere. From the support side, this poster surely won't generate any angry e-mails concerning out-of-date Dell sound card drivers and network firewalls. No one giving MO grief because they can't use Maestro because a windows worm corrupted their own hard drive.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
RaWi Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 15:13

People asks Mike:Please make a poster...and he did.After he did,they complain.Oh,no poster,make an album.When he make an album,they want a poster.Sometimes I think,they want something to complain.Poor Mike.
Ok,I'm complained for the service (bad support).
But I think,he gives a lot for all.For gamers a game,for musicfans his incredible music and a poster for the rest.
So take,what you find out for your taste.
I take all.I love the music,his games and the poster.
We love him for a lot.And I'm shure,that someday he gives a better service.
So I have to complain,that he gives too much to me?! ;)

Take care,

Ralf (I want tell a lot,but I have to complain my english)
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 15:40

the poster isn't to my personal taste...and when a signed poster was mentioned, this wasn't what i expected   ;)

but it looks well put together and will make a nice centrepiece on someone's wall.....and of course, as has been said before, the gesture to the fans is most welcome and the fans will vote with their pockets no doubt!!!!!

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 17:50

It's just the old story of Mike's fans knowing what they like from him and him not delivering to their tastes. I'm guessing that when fans ask Mike for a poster to be made available what they really want his either a poster of him, as Blue dolphin says, rocking on his guitar or perhaps the Crises album cover printed out in poster size. Either of those two things signed by Mike would fly out of his studio I'm sure.

But there lies the problem that seems to surround everything Mike does these days, no one seems to like it. We all followed him into the world of MVR with Tres Lunas and pretty much enjoyed the experience BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC. No one gave two hoots about Maestro because there was no new music (well except one piece that is best just forgotten about) and even very little of that.

I think at this time in Mike's career it's best just to remember what you liked about his music in the past and just concentrate on that. Let him go his own route and if he writes another brilliant album then great, if not well at least he wrote Amarok let alone the others.

I noticed Blue Dolphin mentioned Jean Michel Jarre above. There does seem to be a weird game of follow the leader between Mike and Jarre. So Mike does a sequel to he best selling album, and a few years later so does Jarre. So Mike rerecords his best selling album, and one year later Jarre rerecords all his 'golden oldies'.
Maybe it's a just a fact of life with these solitary instrumentalists that they reach a certain point in their career and just don't have anything new to say. They just start tinkering around with whatever idea most amuses them.

Again I say like them for they have done if you don't like what they're doing now.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 18:58

Quote (TOBY @ July 28 2004, 17:50)
I noticed Blue Dolphin mentioned Jean Michel Jarre above. There does seem to be a weird game of follow the leader between Mike and Jarre. So Mike does a sequel to he best selling album, and a few years later so does Jarre. So Mike rerecords his best selling album, and one year later Jarre rerecords all his 'golden oldies'.

He did that? Hm, that's pretty... uh... interesting. Not what I'd have expected from him. In the case of the Oxygene sequel, at least Jarre did what Mike wanted to do initially and did parts 7-13 (?) rather than a rehash of the original thing, though some knowledgeable people say he actually just did that under the disguise of a sequel (I can't say, having only heard the album once). Re-recording stuff is not what I'd have expected from him (but then, Kraftwerk actually did that years before either Mike or Jarre...) - it's pretty hard to imagine he was trying to follow Mike's example with that, though who knows...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 19:27

Yes, and Kraftwerk are re-releasing their old albums in remastered version soon, just like Jean Michel Jarre and Mike did. So it's just a matter of gaining extra money, and maybe a "follow-the-leader" game, who knows.

Although the thing I like about Jarre is that he's still releasing new material (Sessions 2000, Geometry of Love)... oke, whether they are as good as his other albums is another story... but Jarre hasn't released as much albums as Mike so this could go one for a while.

But I totally agree with what TOBY said above. Amen to that!

(and no, the change of my avatar has nothing to do with this discussion ;) )

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ATTMO Offline

Posted: July 29 2004, 05:50

well there seems to be some misunderstanding here. it is not like doing this poster will stop mike from working on his new album. first of all the poster doesn't look like too much time went into doing it. secoundly i doubt it was mike who created it (though i might be wrong) ... well the signing them might take like ... an hour or something. but thats irrelevant concering the progress of the new album.

a thing that disturbed some fans (but made me hopeful) is the fact that mike is not that active playing maestro anymore. ok i don't use maestro so maybe I am being selfish. and maybe he spends his additional time sitting in the pub but maybe he spends it on the new album (which I hope) which is good news for us.

Still it is bizare that there are no news whatsoever on the album. I have not been a mike fan for such a long time but maybe some people round here know something. were there any news when SODE was created?

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 29 2004, 10:11

Quote (ATTMO @ July 29 2004, 06:50)
Still it is bizare that there are no news whatsoever on the album. I have not been a mike fan for such a long time but maybe some people round here know something. were there any news when SODE was created?

For Tr3s Lunas and TB 2003,there were updates from Mike on MO.com about the progress of the album.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 29 2004, 10:58

Quote (ATTMO @ July 29 2004, 10:50)
secoundly i doubt it was mike who created it (though i might be wrong) ...

It was Fanny who created them. If anyone doesn't want to take my word for it, in the bottom right hand corner of the poster, it says 'Designed by Fanny Oldfield'.

I think it possibly did take her a while to create (it's not actually a screen capture, but a composite based on a Bryce render. The other elements have also been rendered outside of Maestro), but I don't know for sure.

Still, perhaps the message here is...be careful what you wish for... ;)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 29 2004, 12:12

I received an e-mail from Fanny today advertising the poster (using the address I registered Maestro with)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 29 2004, 18:20

i was prowling around mike's site last night and saw it was already available, so i ordered it and the petition was accepted for what the mails i received said.
now i wonder how long will it take to receive it, i'm looking forward to put it up on my wall, well kept in a frame u know...

really nice work, fanny
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 29 2004, 21:43

And it looks like they also put the game version of Tr3s Lunas on CD-ROM for sale. That's a good job Mike! I was waiting for that, since we already had a "hardware" version of Maestro, but not of Tr3s Lunas.

Now is the case though. Much better than a file on your computer which can become lost if you're not careful with your data... ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 31 2004, 05:08

One point for any comments about 'Mike should be making music not [insert anything except music here]'. Anyone who thinks this when he brings out anything, do you really think that it is Mike himself who designs and prints these posters? These posters are not a huge distraction from making music. How long can it take to approve an image and sign 150 posters?

This goes for people who talk about his website service as well. I understand that you have a right to be upset if you recieve bad/no service, but why direct your criticism at Mike? Do you really believe that it is Mike that sits at the computer answering E-Mails and running the website? Please, let's have a little logic in these discussions.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 31 2004, 06:30

Quote (raven4x4x @ July 31 2004, 05:08)
This goes for people who talk about his website service as well. I understand that you have a right to be upset if you recieve bad/no service, but why direct your criticism at Mike? Do you really believe that it is Mike that sits at the computer answering E-Mails and running the website? Please, let's have a little logic in these discussions.

No, I think it's OK to direct the criticism at Mike, for even though it's not him (not) answering the mails, it is done by someone in his name, under his business trademark(s), and fully approved by him. He really needs to look into that, in order not to give his business a bad name.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2004, 06:55

Strangely enough it does increasingly appear that things are handled directly by Mike and/or Fanny. In the past we refered to Mike's 'team' handling things but I don't think there is a 'team' working for him anymore. Does he have a manager or a PA? You don't see Jeremy Parker's name mentioned anywhere. I know it was Jeremy that sold the guitar recently but that doesn't mean he still actively looks after Mike's affairs.

I'd say any praise/criticism for the way things surrounding Mike get handled should be directed straight at him and Fanny.
Profile PM 
RaWi Offline

Posted: July 31 2004, 08:15

I also believe,that the "team" are both.But I found out,that the service becomes better the last days.If you have a question for the support,yes,you get an answer.
Thank you,Fanny and Mike,this is the right way and the best way,to love you. ;)

Have a nice day,

Ralf
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 31 2004, 22:23

Prehaps I didn't quite say what I was trying to say. It was a good idea in my head but once I started typing I couldn't find the words to say what I meant, and I still can't. I fully realize that Mike should be responsible for his website etc. and get it sorted out, I just disagree that it is automatically Mike's fault when anything even slightly goes wrong. Yes, he should be critisized for not getting his act together and having a good support system, but it isn't him personally choosing to ignore E-Mails (at least I shouldn't think it is) None of us truely knows why the website was slow to respond to E-mails. Prehaps they got inundated with mails for some reason and have a big backlog? Prehaps their E-Mail stuffed up? Prehaps the person who handles the support got sick? None of us know, so why automatically assume you are being ripped off?  Prehaps that is more what I was trying to say.

ps. I'm not complaining or anything, but isn't it strange that this topic was full of people complaining about over-critisizing Mike, but the moment I say anything the tone completely changes.  ;)  It seems that whenever I try to say something it comes out wrong and ends up nothing like what I was trying to say and instead just offends people. But that's just me I suppose... :/

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
49 replies since July 26 2004, 11:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net