Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maestro posters< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 26 2004, 11:34

150 limited edition Maestro posters (A1 format: 594mm x 841mm) individually signed by Mike "will be available next week" on mikeoldfield.com for £35.

(Thanks, Uwe Lohse)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2004, 13:39

Nice. Pretty cool image, a lot better than that previous one. Presumably its first come first served? I'm almost tempted.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 05:24

Maestro sales are not doing very well I guess (I knew that when I noticed what my buyer number was when I bought the Maestro cd) so he's gaining some extra money by selling these posters. Pity Mike is doing it this way... why not making music instead??? :/

So, I don't think I will give 52 euro(!! ) (35 pounds) for a piece of printed A1 paper with an autograph!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 05:52

I actually think the price is pretty reasonable as far as limited edition prints go, assuming it's on heavy paper and is a good quality print - it's not uncommon to see things which are printed in their millions selling for £10 or so, and that's without the artist (or artist's famous husband's) signature (that answers the question of why posters instead of music - Mike is making music, Fanny's making the posters, because fans have said they wanted merchandise like posters available from the store). It does actually cost a fair bit to get a small run of posters done anyway (though I'm not suggesting that the price they're selling at is anything like the cost price), and of course with any piece of artwork, you're paying for the time that went into creating it more than the materials, so all things considered, I think the price is fair.

Whether the image on the poster (which is what it's about, after all) is attractive enough to tempt you to part with your money is of course a different matter...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 06:17

Yes, that's true. A small amount of posters cost more than printing a large quantity. (I have worked in a printing company).

But that's another good point you make there: whether the image on the poster appeals me. No, because I just hang two posters here of Tubular Bells 2 and Tubular Bells 3, and I think they are a lot nicer.   :D  But that's just my 2 cents.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
gurru
Unregistered

Posted: July 27 2004, 09:10

mr tubular sells posters instead of music. And such terrible posters!!!!! Just a pity, once again. From music to video games, from video games to posters, from posters to.......

An on-line shop....  mike could fill a 25.000 stadium in spain just playing his guitar for two hours. He prefers to sell hoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible posters instead·······

not that I realy care.... not any more.... but.....
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 09:43

No, he prefers to work on his album...but of course, fans never want Mike to be doing what he is - when he works on games, fans want an album, when he works on an album, fans want a tour and when his wife takes the trouble to work on posters specially for the fans after they asked for them, the fans want music instead. I'm sure Fanny would be flattered to be asked to come and perform in Spain rather than sit inside making posters - shall we ask her? :D
Profile PM 
gurru
Unregistered

Posted: July 27 2004, 10:22

I gladly would pay 60€ for a signed Amarok poster...
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 11:13

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 27 2004, 15:43)
No, he prefers to work on his album...but of course, fans never want Mike to be doing what he is - when he works on games, fans want an album, when he works on an album, fans want a tour and when his wife takes the trouble to work on posters specially for the fans after they asked for them, the fans want music instead. I'm sure Fanny would be flattered to be asked to come and perform in Spain rather than sit inside making posters - shall we ask her? :D

fans (and humans in general) are never satisfied... so, welcome into the reality. ;)  :D

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 11:53

You mean fans are human?? :p

Anyway, main point is, I think it was a nice gesture of Fanny to create these (even if there is a business motive there too...), whether we like the end result or not...
I know I've thrown criticism in Mike and Fanny's direction in the past, but they do make some good intentioned moves on occasion, which is nice to see. The outcome of those may not be quite what everyone out here hopes for, but to their credit, they are both busy creating things, some of them guided by the comments of people out here (like the people who said they would like to see merchandise like posters...everyone had their chance to chip in and say they only wanted music, but everyone there said they wanted merchandise...). It's been a very slow process getting to that stage, but going backwards could happen very quickly.

I'm not saying that everyone should like whatever Mike and his company does (you already know that I've encouraged criticism on occasion)...just that sometimes, when they start going in the right direction, it would help if they were guided further down the correct path.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 12:07

I can sence your frustration Korgie ;) some people are just never happy,PLEASE give Mike a break,what do you want?Blood?If you don't like the posters or don't want to buy them,then just don't buy them,but just be thankful Mike and Fanny are still doing something for the fans after the whole board closing thing!!!.
Mike is making music,Mike is always making music,he likes to do other things,he needs to do other things,for his own sanity,plenty of other musicians do other things than make music,Bowie,Eno,Waters etc.But things take time,listen to another of Mikes albums while you wait,or listen to a new artist!!!. :zzz:
Profile PM 
RaWi Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 13:31

I like this poster and I say thank you Mike and Fanny for this nice idea!
If you think,that this is too expensive,make an own one.
There is only one problem:Who wants your autograph?! ;)

Have a nice day,

Ralf
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 14:07

I'm still waiting for the Voyager action figure.
Profile PM 
Toby (not logged in)
Unregistered

Posted: July 27 2004, 14:07

I quite like the image, I think its way superior to official Maestro image used on the website. Blakes 7 anyone? ;)

I would of thought most fans would  be falling over themselves to pay 35 quid for Mike's autograph alone, let alone the poster. I must say it's my pay day on Friday and I am tempted. Get it framed nicely, could look pretty cool.

What are people moaning about? At least Mike's doing something for his fans. I'd rather his little steps in the right direction were welcomed by everyone and then he may do more.
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 14:13

Holger. Thats the best Oldfield related idea ever. I hope they make one with matching 'celtic' accessories, bits of leather belt etc, etc.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 16:38

Yes indeed! It would be great! And then this little string on the back of the Mike action figure, and when you pull it you hear "may the voyager be with you!" :p

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 27 2004, 19:37

...or "I evoke the power of Tubular Bells!"
This one of the action figure of Mike Oldfield,Voyager boosted was great.Later we'll see some magazines featuring some stories feat. Mike as the Celtic Warrior(tm - Tati The Sentinel) like Spiderman's  :D

On topic,seriously:
the poster thingie and autographed personally by Mike is quite interesting to me.
I don't know if is going to be just him signing just his name or a personal autograph.I think it's the first one,really.Typically Mike's.

Some of us are dying to get this chance...not on my case.When I was younger I was interested on that,I do have some from other artists,but with Mike,I've never got much interested in gettin' any stuff signed by him.Better would be to meet him like some lucky fans,talk to him,but it's quite hard.

I'd love to see other merchandise stuff from him,not only regarding to his games,like t-shirts,sweatshirts,mugs,whatever.But with something that make those things interesting to us,the fans.Fill the space from Dark Star,maybe,or working together.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Geinoh
Unregistered

Posted: July 28 2004, 00:53

What's a pity. Mike lost any money when he seld Maestro ?
:/

Sorry, I cannot give 52 Euros for bad Screen Capture.
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 02:58

Yir, we want merchandise:
The albums reprinted as picture discs, framed prints of the covers, trading cards, Fully poseable action figures(one for each album with matching clothes and instrument ), Tubular bells models,
Box sets of the above items etc etc

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2004, 09:29

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 27 2004, 11:53)
You mean fans are human?? :p

You nailed my feelings perfectly. Sometimes, I get sick with the attitude of some of these bizarre creatures called "fans". Every step Mike Oldfield takes, fans start complaining that he should be making albums instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike doesn't have any obligation to make music to us. If you're not satisfied with his (quite big) catalogue, well, get a life. It looks like people get pleasure out of burning Mike at the stake for doing mistakes. I might not agree with the actions Mike takes, but if I feel frustrated that Mike isn't making new albums every day, I'll go and put on a Radiohead album instead of crucifying him! And if Mike were to make albums on demand, and they turn out to be the same quality as The Millennium Bell, well, he better stick at making video-games and posters instead.

Now go ahead and flame me. You know you want to.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
49 replies since July 26 2004, 11:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net