Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maciek Dobrowolski - The Windé, An album with a tubular.net link...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 19 2012, 15:11

I thought some of you might like to have a listen to a preview of something I've been collaborating on recently - a soundtrack album by Polish composer Maciek Dobrowolski:

https://soundcloud.com/maciek-dobrowolski/sets/the-winde-album-preview

It's based on work he did for a short film, but expanded to a full length album. It might not quite be true to say there's an Oldfield influence (apart from via my contributions, perhaps! ) but parts of it certainly share a fair bit in common with works like Mont St Michel and Music of the Spheres.

Happy listening!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2012, 00:14

Beautiful. A little bit surprising that the drum track is kind of more complicated than the other tracks, that's unusual to me, I tend to see the drums as something preventing you from going crazy while in this soundtrack it's the chaotic and unpredictable voice. My favorite track is the shorter one in the middle with your acoustic guitar and the mandolin-or-a with the singers who starts with the 1st 3 notes form Moonlight Shadow. Made me think of Muse too.

The preview works pretty well commercially, makes me want to get the album. I like it so I'm also almost disappointed that my first hearing was abrupt previews and not the whole experience. But he is not famous yet, so no choice, I guess.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2012, 13:43

Quote (Olivier @ Dec. 20 2012, 04:14)
My favorite track is the shorter one in the middle with your acoustic guitar and the mandolin-or-a with the singers who starts with the 1st 3 notes form Moonlight Shadow. Made me think of Muse too.

It's both mandolin and octave mandola there, so double mando-goodness! The lower octave mandola line is fairly faint there, but it just fills out the sound a little. I suppose there's something a tiny bit Hergest Ridge to that guitar part...I certainly generally like those moments in Mike's music where things become very small, simple and intimate. Of course the opposite's fun too ;)

I know what you mean about short previews, it's sometimes a tough call - people often like to hear a preview clip of some kind, but at the same time, it can sometimes spoil the surprise somehow. Still, hopefully there'll be enough surprises left in the full album for it to not be too much of a spoiler :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2013, 19:55

I am sooo waiting for this in its entirety!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2013, 11:29

The waiting is over, The Windé has been unleashed on the world!

Maciek's put together a longer medley on YouTube to give a further taster of what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CS-QyKR21s

It's available on pretty much every digital download platform you could possibly imagine (iTunes, Amazon, etc). The CD edition's going to be a while longer, but it's definitely on the cards!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2013, 12:52

It's now got its own page on Maciek's website, with a teeny bit more information about the album, plus a nifty Soundcloud player - http://mdobrowolski.com/index.php/the-winde/
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 23 2013, 19:02

In the last several weeks I've had a chance to listen to this several times in its entirety. It is so lovely...sensitive, emotional....well done, indeed! Korg had a major role in its production, in addition to playing on it. I wish he were involved in producing Mike's next work, quite frankly. That way, it would be exceptionally produced, fresh, and wonderful!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
6 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net