Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lyrics for "Mistake"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 09:22

Surprisingly, given the "cool" status of the Black Eyed Peas, they tend in my opinion to be exquisitely dull. With the exception of "I Gotta Feeling", listening to their music is like falling asleep in a sheet metal factory.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 12:47

There can be a sameness about Mike's songs, in the formula - a basic melody and emphasis on a word that's almost shouted, like "mis-take!" You find this formula's in the first four lines of "Innocent":-    

"I KNOW you'll never stay the same
In TIME most of us lose it"

With "Mistake" it's the introduction of some unusual high notes, sung very nicely by Maggie, that appeals to me, rather than the lyrics.

I generally don't listen to lyrics unless they really grab me because they're unusual, or if they fall in congruently with a nice tune or rhythm (base/drums/percussion). There aren't many artists who's lyrics I listen to -  Kate Bush, David Bowie, Cold Play, Fleetwood Mac, Snow Patrol.... "My Humps" fits the *unusual* category, and alongside a good rhythm.

Of Mike's conventional songs I in the main listen to the lyrics of "Crises," "Five Miles Out," " Horseback" and "Northpoint."

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 18:16

@ wiga: I've already stated elsewhere that, IMHO, "Northpoint" is one of Mike's best-ever songs with his worst-ever lyric. :D And if you do really look for "unusual" lyrics, you should dust off the old Simon and Garfunkel albums, as well as checking out Paul Simon's solo album Graceland. I think that little Paul is a master in writing not-so-ordinary lyrics.

@ nightspore (off topic): nah, the Peas are just pop. Have you heard "Meet Me Halfway"? That's not even hip-hop - that's pop. :) To me, listening to "extreme" metal bands like Sepultura or Carcass is like falling asleep in a sheet metal factory, and indeed I don't listen to them. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 20:03

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 28 2010, 18:16)
@ nightspore (off topic): nah, the Peas are just pop. Have you heard "Meet Me Halfway"? That's not even hip-hop - that's pop. :) To me, listening to "extreme" metal bands like Sepultura or Carcass is like falling asleep in a sheet metal factory, and indeed I don't listen to them. :D

Hi Ugo, I listened to the Peas only by accident, so I'm by no means an expert on their oeuvre. I expect Vicki is also grateful you don't listen to Supultura! My cat, Finchaven, is always startled by the opening sounds of Amarok!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 20:04

Actually, it could be because one of those opening sounds is like a loud "meow"!  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 04:42

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 28 2010, 18:16)
@ wiga: I've already stated elsewhere that, IMHO, "Northpoint" is one of Mike's best-ever songs with his worst-ever lyric. :D And if you do really look for "unusual" lyrics, you should dust off the old Simon and Garfunkel albums, as well as checking out Paul Simon's solo album Graceland. I think that little Paul is a master in writing not-so-ordinary lyrics.

I think the word I'm looking is 'real' - the best lyrics for me sound sincere and real. How they are expressed doesn't matter, they can be as unusual as you like. The Police lyrics, "de do do de da da da is all I want to say to you" on paper might look rubbishy, but they sound good to me, like they're coming from the heart of the song - and very authentic.

@Ugo: "Northpoint" - I agree is Mike's best melodic song, it has a mysterious and haunting melody and so the lyrics fit when they ask, "have you ever been to North Point?" - because I'm very intriuged. I want to know.  

I like a lot of Simon and Garfunkel, but Paul Simon on the whole is too clever for me. His lyrics are unusual and well thought - but over-thought sometimes to the point of slightly phoney. I particularly like "Boxer", but for some reason I am impatient to get past the life history to the "li la li" part. Why would that be when I enjoy hearing peoples' life stories I ask myself. Something to do with not 'real'.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 05:36

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2010, 04:42)
I like a lot of Simon and Garfunkel, but Paul Simon on the whole is too clever for me. His lyrics are unusual and well thought - but over-thought sometimes to the point of slightly phoney. I particularly like "Boxer", but for some reason I am impatient to get past the life history to the "li la li" part. Why would that be when I enjoy hearing peoples' life stories I ask myself. Something to do with not 'real'.

I agree with you Wiga, Paul Simon isn't my cup of lapsang souchong. There's something about his vocal delivery that annoys me too, as though he's overplaying the sincerity, like someone trying to sell you insurance.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 06:54

Mike has never been state-of-art in terms of lyrics,but there's a great excepection - Heaven's Open!

...but I like his nonsenseless lyrics,better than those anti-feminist rap and R&B around nowadays.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 17:55

@ wiga: of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I don't think I ever found anything false-sounding or phoney in Paul Simon's lyrics. Especially "The Boxer", which is one of my fav S&G songs, has never sounded insincere to me - it really sounds like they're telling the life story of an actual character, even if it's invented (or at least I think so). The only thing that can maybe sound phoney in there is indeed the chorus - which is often transcribed as "Lie la lie..." :D Re. "Northpoint", I think that part of the mysterious aspect of that lyric is the fact that Mike has done nothing but throw the grammar to the four winds [no pun intended!]. Or, in other words, IMHO that lyric is so nonsensical that it's bound to be mysterious. And that's why I hate it. :)

@ nightspore: the meow doesn't happen during the Fast Riff at the beginning of Amarok. It happens in one on the later repetitions of the riff. I am 100% sure of this, as I know Amarok by heart.

BTW, Vicki is never startled by any music I listen to - even by the (few) heavy metal things. She just loves all kinds of music. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 18:56

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 29 2010, 17:55)
Re. "Northpoint", I think that part of the mysterious aspect of that lyric is the fact that Mike has done nothing but throw the grammar to the four winds [no pun intended!]. Or, in other words, IMHO that lyric is so nonsensical that it's bound to be mysterious. And that's why I hate it. :)

Ugo - my take on "Northpoint" is that it's a story about a mysterious prison and it's past. Are you saying that it's the grammar that bothers you?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:01

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 29 2010, 17:55)
@ nightspore: the meow doesn't happen during the Fast Riff at the beginning of Amarok. It happens in one on the later repetitions of the riff. I am 100% sure of this, as I know Amarok by heart.

BTW, Vicki is never startled by any music I listen to - even by the (few) heavy metal things. She just loves all kinds of music. :)

You're right, Ugo - I was speaking loosely. And I imagine you've had V trained since kittenhood!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:02

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2010, 18:56)
Ugo - my take on "Northpoint" is that it's a story about a mysterious prison and it's past. Are you saying that it's the grammar that bothers you?

Wiga, Ugo and I had a detailed discusson of this some time ago. I can't remember the title of the thread. Better watch out - he has a trained feline he may sic on to you!  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 00:12

There are two songs IMO where Mike hits the mark with both lyrics and melodies. Heaven's Open is really uplifting and happy with great energy (and the film clip was amazing. He did the animation. Very good). Far Country is another uplifting positive song.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 02:59

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 30 2010, 00:12)
There are two songs IMO where Mike hits the mark with both lyrics and melodies. Heaven's Open is really uplifting and happy with great energy (and the film clip was amazing. He did the animation. Very good). Far Country is another uplifting positive song.

Yet tinged with that indefinable longing and sadness, like most of Mr O's music...
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 04:42

Hi Nightspore those songs are tinged with that bitter sweet feeling Mike can evoke so beautifully. Thank heavens his Irish heritage and love of folk music grew from the early days. Being wistful, sad, longing, desiring all a heart can hold is what every man wants and wishes for. Mike fought his fears and bared his soul, and we can enjoy the music that caused him so much pain to create. I reckon re mastering HR and Ommadawn will take him back to those memories, as did doing the Ultimate Edition. It takes courage to do it. He is doing it, a beautiful man with a brave heart facing up to the worst of times as a young man.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 05:05

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 29 2010, 06:54)
...but I like his nonsenseless lyrics,better than those anti-feminist rap and R&B around nowadays.

Pearl of Wisdom quote: -  "It is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 05:55

Hi Tati and Wiga I agree that rap, hip hop and R@B definitely have an anti feminist edge. The women portrayed in some clips are treated as their man's toy to be pawed over, be submissive and degraded. Chris Brown comes to mind. His attitude towards his lady was disgusting. Im sure young women need to feel respected and treated decently. What happens in night clubs is so blatant. Meat markets and pick up joints where women are seen as easy targets by some men, where alcohol and party drugs alter reality.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 11:25

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 30 2010, 00:56)

It's the very liberal (not to say anything worse! :D) usage of grammar and the feeling of nonsensicalness I always get when reading that lyric on its own. To you it may make sense, to me it just doesn't. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 09:43

there is that word again

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 09:50

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 30 2010, 00:55)
@ wiga: of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I don't think I ever found anything false-sounding or phoney in Paul Simon's lyrics. Especially "The Boxer", which is one of my fav S&G songs, has never sounded insincere to me - it really sounds like they're telling the life story of an actual character, even if it's invented (or at least I think so). The only thing that can maybe sound phoney in there is indeed the chorus - which is often transcribed as "Lie la lie..." :D Re. "Northpoint", I think that part of the mysterious aspect of that lyric is the fact that Mike has done nothing but throw the grammar to the four winds [no pun intended!]. Or, in other words, IMHO that lyric is so nonsensical that it's bound to be mysterious. And that's why I hate it. :)

& there!

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
41 replies since Aug. 21 2004, 05:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net