Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: L+S in the media, Where have you seen it mentioned?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:23

In todays (30/09/05) Sun (london tabloid), there was a review of L+S.

A mixed one, the type where Tub Bells gets at least 2 mentions, but they gave the new album 4 out of 5, which is pretty positive. I guess we get blinded by our love of Mike's previous works and forget what the new audience will see.

Have you lot seen any other media reviews, and what were they like?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 21:35

Personally, I have read nothing in terms of a review. Having said that, I avoid most media and tabloids given my profession.  :/

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 23:01

yes the same have norwegian media done. They says that this is top electronica! very well done ect..

And lets look at those who are not fans but likes music. I have a friend and i send'ed her L+S. She loves it! Just like 3 other friends i have. They love what mike do and think its lovely!
L+S is well done!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 01:57

@Tubularman, has that radio program you sent me been posted on the site anywhere yet. If not, perhaps you could post it here. Was that Polish radio?

Anyway, I listened to it twice, thanks so much for sending it to me, 2 hours 10 minutes of Mikes music and even with the talking in another language, you still get up to 2 hours of music.

For those who are unsure about this new album it is excellent to listen to this program for two reasons, because it blends all the old stuff with the new so you can get a better picture of how much Mikes work has changed (or perhaps deteriorated) over the years, and it is interesting to see what they have chosen as his 'best' work.

They started with Mike and Sally and Children of the Sun, mentioned Kevin Ayres and the Whole World of course and then played a few minutes of TB moving quickly into the rocky section (my fave bit). At 9:30 - Guilty, 13:20 - Arrival, FMO, at 20:00 Moonlight Shadow, 23:00 To France, 28:00 Pictures in the Dark and When the Nights on Fire. 35:00 - Innocent, 38:00 - No Dream (surprise), 43:00 - Sentinel, 47:00 - Let there be Light, 53:00 - Women of Ireland (or something from Voyager) 56:00 - Celtic Rain from Voyager, 59:00 - another surprising inclusion but my favourtie track, the Source of Secrets, TBIII. Couple from Guitars I think (or Mill Bell), Pacha Mama, Sunlight Shining through Clouds. Then they played some more TB before moving into Romance (another surprise entry) from L&S. 1hr20 - Heavens Open (now that's a surprise), Shadow on the Wall, Hibernaculum from TSODE, 1hr30 -  Rocky from L&S, Celt from QE2, Moonlight Shadow and FMO again, why?, Resolution from L&S, Another supreme 6 minutes or so of TB, Mount Teidi, one from L&S they accidentally called Surfing but it wasn't, don't know it, Crises, and finally, 2hr06 - Surfing from L&S. The address they kept giving was (I think) www.intercosmos.com

Hopefully you'll all get to hear it, was very interesting.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 04:38

Full page colour advert in this months Record Collector.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2005, 04:28

There is a review in the December ed. of CLASSIC ROCK magazine, with a mediocre review from Jerry Ewing, a regular Oldfield contributor, who admits to being an unshamed Fan!
p.s you'd have thought that if he was a fan we might have seen this in the SEPTEMBER EDITION, i.e when it was RELAVENT!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 21 2005, 10:53

The Sun gave it a positive review?

I'm sorry, but I hate the album now. :p ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 21 2005, 20:22

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 01 2005, 07:57)
@Tubularman, has that radio program you sent me been posted on the site anywhere yet. If not, perhaps you could post it here. Was that Polish radio?

:)  sorry for so late answer he he..
I think it was german radio.
When you say posted on this site. Did you mean a link to the radio or the file?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 22:56

I think that they are going to promote again L+S next year...I feel it deeply in my soul...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2005, 03:55

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 21 2005, 10:53)

Probably the most truth that tabloid has published for a very long time :laugh:
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2005, 18:34

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Dec. 04 2005, 08:55)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 21 2005, 10:53)

Probably the most truth that tabloid has published for a very long time :laugh:

Probably the only truth The Scum :laugh: , er sorry I mean Sun has published in its history  :p .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2005, 19:13

At ProgArchives.com webbie, there are some positive reviews of L+S :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 09:05

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Dec. 04 2005, 18:34)

Probably the only truth The Scum :laugh: , er sorry I mean Sun has published in its history  :p .#

Are you trying to tell me that "Freddy Star ate my Hamster", the Sun front page headline from years back, wasn't true? And there I was wearing it in a tee-shirt for years...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 09:22

I'd never looked at "The Sun" before, but I decided to go look after reading this, to see what the fuss was about. I found that on page 3, they weren't wearing T-shirts....

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 10:28

Nowhere have I seen this or any other piece composed by Mike Oldfield in the media.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 17:29

Quote (Matt @ Dec. 22 2005, 14:05)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Dec. 04 2005, 18:34)

Probably the only truth The Scum :laugh: , er sorry I mean Sun has published in its history  :p .#

Are you trying to tell me that "Freddy Star ate my Hamster", the Sun front page headline from years back, wasn't true? And there I was wearing it in a tee-shirt for years...

Sorry to dissapoint you Matt, but I don't believe a word of the "Freddie Star ate my Hamster" headline had any truth in it at all :laugh: .

hiawatha   Posted on Dec. 22 2005, 14:22I'd never looked at "The Sun" before, but I decided to go look after reading this, to see what the fuss was about. I found that on page 3, they weren't wearing T-shirts....

They wouldn't be wearing t-shirts on page 3.  Speak about double standards it's deemed OK for The Scum, er Sun to publish pictures of topless females, but where's my pic of a topless  hippy guy  
:) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 18:21

Quote (stevenmd779 @ Dec. 22 2005, 10:28)
Nowhere have I seen this or any other piece composed by Mike Oldfield in the media.

Are you in the US?

I've seen Oldfield stuff maybe 10 or so times in the US media in the last 30 years (not counting all the Halloween playing of Tubular Bells, or Exorcist film ads).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 23:43

Are you in the US?

I've seen Oldfield stuff maybe 10 or so times in the US media in the last 30 years (not counting all the Halloween playing of Tubular Bells, or Exorcist film ads).

Yes, I'm in the Us. I don't pay much attention to the media though, and I haven't known about Mike Oldfield for very long, so maby I've seen him and didn't realize it.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2006, 00:22

TubularBelle, could you be so kind as to pass me a link or a copy of the radio programme? It sounds very interesting!  :D

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2006, 08:25

Hey Toby, you have a great webpage by the way (completely out of topic! ). Very nice designs/art!

It is a shame that Mike doesn't work with you (although I find the L&S cover quite reasonable indeeed).

In Sweden, there has been no attention at all to L&S. As usual, the press hates Mike here I guess. Understandable however, since popular music jounalists are very untalented in this country.
Profile PM 
29 replies since Sep. 30 2005, 20:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net