[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: LP version & CD version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
scriabine Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 28 2004, 08:30

Hello,

I never heared the boxe version of HR but I have hear many times the LP vinyle version and there are some differences with the CD reedition.
In CD version, some instruments are very far or delete. Particulary in Part I. I don't like it. In Part I, at 7:40-43, in the climax, the rising scale of electric guitar is complety delete and diminish very much the musical tension. It's very pity ! And the trumpete is almost delete.  

What do you think ?  Mike has massacred his work.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 08:55

I actually prefer the remix available on CD.  I think that by stripping some of the instruments away Mike has brought clarity to the work.  I like to hear that bass and electric guitar playing the 3-note 'walking theme' in part 1 and I couldn't before.  And by bringing the vocals up in part 2 he has improved the second side immeasurably in my opinion.  Mixing them so low as he did originally was just plain perverse!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2004, 09:11

I think it's important to make it clear that the Boxed version has the SAME mix as the CD, so if you heard the CD, you heard Boxed as well (excluding the Quadrophonic thing and stuff, but I'm not Richard to talk about that. :D ).

Well, I haven't heard the original version, but I think it's pretty much impossible to add something to the Boxed mix without reducing its impact.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2004, 10:14

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 28 2004, 09:11)
Well, I haven't heard the original version

One of these days I'm gonna send you a CD copy of the original mix, Sir M.  If I had a burner, I'd do it tomorrow!

Jules

(I'm just back from Ireland where I had my birthday, and I'm still waiting to see if I got Amarok as a belated birthday present.)

--------------
Profile PM 
scriabine Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2004, 13:23

Nobody had listen the  vinyle version of HR ? I had got the 33t some time and I have a precise souvenir of this mix. It's so different of cd version... ( my cd version is CDV 2013).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2004, 18:03

I'm apparently one of the few members of this board who likes more the original version (the LP one) than the remix. But, as I stated elsewhere, my ideal HR would be somewhere between the two - meaning that, for example, I just love the instrumental distribution in Part I, all those parts that were 'almost deleted', as Scriabine says, in the remix. But at the same time I, just like Jules above here, would also love to hear more of the wonderful vocals in Part II. So my 100% perfect HR mix would be, as I said before, somewhere in the middle. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2004, 19:52

I'm one of those members as well, Ugo. I listened to the original mix many many times before the "Boxed" mixed existed. I expect that trumpet to be there.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
scriabine Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2004, 20:01

I agree with you Ugo,about the vocals in Part II   :)
But for to speak  frankily, the beginning of Part I bore me a few because (I forget this) the guitar solos are delete too ! Remain the bass, or bass and the middle voice.Whithout the superior voice it's a non - sense! :(  It's interesting no more...
Profile PM 
iGav Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 06:19

I think they're both equally beautiful.  

I first heard the "Boxed" remix - in fact it was HR that introduced the concept of remixing to me.  Having read the "boxed" leaflet, I knew that it had been remixed but had no idea just how substantial those changes are.  It's quite amazing that some of the changes create completely different moods between the two versions.

The original has a much rawer sound, I assume Mike was under pressure to release the follow up to TB and so maybe didn't have the time he would have liked.  I guess this tension is what shows up at times whereas the remix is much more pastoral and smother on the ears.

Having read a lot of the old interviews on this site, I would hazard a guess that the rawness is much closer to Mike's mental state at the time of the recording whereas the remix reflects greater stability and maturity

In this day of CDs and MP3s, I generally get to listen to the remix so it's only when I want to listen to the scratchy vinyl copy of the original that I hear it.  But everytime I do I find it worth the listening.

It's a shame that virgin didn't release a 30th anniversary CD with both versions so the fans could make their own minds up.  I've always felt HR is in many ways Mike's forgotten masterpiece, you can certainly see how it bridges between TB and Ommadawn
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 11:29

Quote (iGav @ Sep. 01 2004, 06:19)
I've always felt HR is in many ways Mike's forgotten masterpiece, you can certainly see how it bridges between TB and Ommadawn

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that ALL of Mike's masterpieces seem to have been forgotten these days!

:(

I like your idea about the 2 CD version of HR though, but I would guess that such a decision would rest more with Mike than with Virgin.  After all it was Mike who made sure that all CD versions of HR carried the remix in the first place.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 14:46

Quote (iGav @ Sep. 01 2004, 11:19)
IThe original has a much rawer sound, I assume Mike was under pressure to release the follow up to TB and so maybe didn't have the time he would have liked.

Yes, that's right - I think both Mike and Tom Newman have said that, were it not for pressure from Virgin, Mike wouldn't have released another album for many years.

So, without the pressure from Virgin, Hergest Ridge would probably have never come into existence...and neither would Ommadawn. Mike's whole career would have been different (or would have dwindled away into nothing)...quite an odd thought.

I've always felt HR is in many ways Mike's forgotten masterpiece, you can certainly see how it bridges between TB and Ommadawn

And, in a way I think the remix then reaches out more in the direction of Incantations in its more pared down minimalism (though it's still much more like Tubular Bells and Ommadawn than Incantations is).
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 17:30

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 01 2004, 14:46)
So, without the pressure from Virgin, Hergest Ridge would probably have never come into existence...and neither would Ommadawn. Mike's whole career would have been different (or would have dwindled away into nothing)...quite an odd thought.

I can relate to that! It seems like, in the end, Richard Branson's pressure over him turned out to be a good thing.

Richard Branson is my hero.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Michael the Dark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2004, 08:27

In my opinion it's a pity that Mike never liked the original Lp mix. It sounds fresh,not as damn muddy as the new version. of course there are some great things on the 1975 quadraphonic mix as the oboe part which sounds more romantic than ever (especialy louder electric guitar) - but the original mix is so much better and clean sounding.

i wonder - why do HDCD Hr remaster sounds so bad (muddy sound,sometimes too quiet,sometimes too loud) comparing to the 1974 version? i was shocked when i compared both mixes together.

--------------
Some fall like the snow
Too much too slow
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 04:37

My version of the remix is from Boxed and doesn't sound muddy in the least.  I have a great CD download of the first mix which also sounds great.  Out of the two, though, I'd describe the first mix as the muddier of the two, or at least the most confused - sometimes there's just too much happening at once.  As I often say, I prefer the stark beauty of the remix by a whisker, but I'm really glad to have both.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 18:37

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2004, 00:03)
I'm apparently one of the few members of this board who likes more the original version (the LP one) than the remix.

Well, I'm also one of these few... That was the very first version that I heard, in a very old tape... And I like that bass! ;)

Quote (iGav @ Sep. 01 2004, 12:19)
The original has a much rawer sound, I assume Mike was under pressure to release the follow up to TB and so maybe didn't have the time he would have liked.  I guess this tension is what shows up at times whereas the remix is much more pastoral and smother on the ears.

Yes! But is also more fresh, more emotional and less, ehm... 'altered'. I agree that the first mix is closer to Mike's original intention and feelings

It's a shame that virgin didn't release a 30th anniversary CD with both versions so the fans could make their own minds up.

They cannot release that. I've heards that there's some kind of agreement between Mike and  Virgin stating that any subsequent release of HR must be based on the boxed mix.

I've always felt HR is in many ways Mike's forgotten masterpiece, you can certainly see how it bridges between TB and Ommadawn.

Sure! Most people like mostly Ommadawn or TB between the 'first trilogy'. But I think that Hergest Ridge is maybe the best out of the three. Well, maybe is just that HR has a special feeling for me. ;)

Quote (Michael the Dark @ Sep. 05 2004, 14:27)
In my opinion it's a pity that Mike never liked the original Lp mix. It sounds fresh,not as damn muddy as the new version. of course there are some great things on the 1975 quadraphonic mix as the oboe part which sounds more romantic than ever (especialy louder electric guitar) - but the original mix is so much better and clean sounding.

Yeah. Mike is a perfectionist. That is sometimes good and sometimes bad, because reworking a piece again and again can make it less fresh and even change it completely. It's somehow like painting a wall. Just a coat may not be enough, but giving it hundred coats will definitely excessive. I don't know if you know what I mean ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
muzz211
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 19:00

I never liked the boxed mixes. The blistering guitar on HR is mixed so far back now, it's a shame. My sister and I both loved LP HR... the "new" mix box/CD do not do the piece justice.

Happy new year!
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 20:23

Just so someone can clear this up for me, I have 3 copies of Hergest Ridge: The one in Boxed, the HDCD release and an LP which looks like the original release. This means I have both versions in my collection doesn't it? I'm only asking because now we have the CD I never listen to the LPs. I suppose the HDCD release would have to be the newer version.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 11:22

Quote (raven4x4x @ Jan. 01 2005, 20:23)
Just so someone can clear this up for me, I have 3 copies of Hergest Ridge: The one in Boxed, the HDCD release and an LP which looks like the original release. This means I have both versions in my collection doesn't it? I'm only asking because now we have the CD I never listen to the LPs. I suppose the HDCD release would have to be the newer version.

Your 2 CDs will be the same mix (but you knew that).  Your LP may be the original version, but not all the vinyl editions of HR are the original.  Best to dig it out and give it a spin!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 12:28

As familyjules had said all CD versions include the Boxed mix, but not all the vinyls have the original one (but most of them). To know if you have the original mix on that vinyl maybe the easiest way is to compare it with the CDs. Minutes 4 and 5:45 of part one are good points to compare because they contain clear differences.

You can have further information about both mixes on the Amarok mailing list FAQ that is also on this page (points 2.11 and 2.12) and more discussion on this board  ;)

familyjules said:
One of these days I'm gonna send you a CD copy of the original mix

That rings a (tubular) bell to me :D I assume you also like Pink Floyd. I'm close to have The Bell Gets Louder boot (hard to belive this isn't an Oldfield boot :D). But maybe this is something to talk about in another section of the board :)
Profile PM 
Blind Faith
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 15:38

Quote (raven4x4x @ Jan. 01 2005, 20:23)

and an LP which looks like the original release

You could make yourself a copy of this to CD... there is also a seller on ebay that comes out every once in a while with a CD-R mastered from a perfect vinyl. I chose this approach, it saved me the 2 or 3 days of work to make a descent CD from my own vinyl. I do find the original mix more, hypnotic, at least to me.

:cool:
27 replies since July 28 2004, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net