Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lost a Post, My bad< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2008, 04:16

We had a post where we were listing Mike's works in our order of preference - can someone point me at it?

Thanks
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 26 2008, 04:19

The admins have removed it temporarily in order to try to untangle the mess it was in.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 26 2008, 07:30

I didn't see it as a 'mess' as such. There was a discussion that got heated. This has happened before in threads but for some reason this thread got wiped out ??

The lists had been building nicely.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 26 2008, 11:50

Quote (Tayniee @ April 26 2008, 11:30)
for some reason this thread got wiped out ??

My understanding is that it's been removed temporarily so that the admins can edit it, in order to restore it to what it was originally intended to be, before everything went haywire. It won't be an easy thing to do, and the fact that they're willing to spend time doing this kind of thing is one of the reasons why this forum is so successful. I'm sure they'll take care to preserve the lists, because that was the reason why the thread had been set up in the first place.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 26 2008, 14:26

Quote (Alan D @ April 26 2008, 04:19)
The admins have removed it temporarily in order to try to untangle the mess it was in.

That was my thought as well.

If, for whatever reason, "In Order" doesn't return, would it be okay to start a new, similar, topic?

Quote (Tayniee @ April 26 2008, 07:30)
There was a discussion that got heated.

I'd been enjoying the discussion until personal criticisms of posters derailed things. I suspect it's a delicate situation for the admins and I applaud their quickness of action. In a way, I kind of wish the topic had been locked and preserved so that all could observe and learn from the incident.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 26 2008, 17:05

@ trcanberra.  As far as I recall, you started the topic and it was a great one.  By all means, please keep starting good topics.  Do that one again!
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 01:43

Quote (Bassman @ April 26 2008, 17:05)
@ trcanberra. Do that one again!

No, don't do it tracanberra !

Our great love for The Millennium Bell might get ridiculed again. Could we bear it a 2nd time. Where would we run, where would we hide ?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 04:06

It's not up to the community to wear kid gloves for those who take art-criticism personally.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 12:10

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 27 2008, 04:06)
kid gloves

.. what do you mean ??

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 19:54

Quote (Bassman @ April 26 2008, 17:05)
@ trcanberra.  As far as I recall, you started the topic and it was a great one.  By all means, please keep starting good topics.  Do that one again!

Thanks for that - thought I had just managed to lose it somehow  ;)

I will wait for the admins to sort it - I suspect we will end up with two posts Tayniee, one with the lists, the other with the MB discussion.

And thanks again to the admins for doing such a great job here.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 21:16

Anyone that wanted to express how much they hate "The Millenium Bell" should have directed their comments to the "I friggin' hate The Millenium Bell" thread.

That's all there is to it.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 12:49

I believe the lost post now rests silently in forum heaven, and may remain untouched, unread and unloved.

I grieve today, I wanted to look at those lists real bad today.

Trcanberra I believe we should give the lists another go. I've revised mine slightly anyway, I gave the full cd collection a 2nd hearing.       ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 29 2008, 17:18

Sorry for being so slow... We didn't have a chance to finish discussing it  and come to a resolution yet. To be sure it won't bother us again, I've suggested to ban any mention of The Millennium Bell anywhere on tubular.net but other admins are not sure to agree.  ;) Actually, did an artist ever abjure some of his work, a while after public release and forbid further duplication and distribution? I may have a few suggestions ;) and it could create a lot of buzz around the artist too, and lot of relief for most of people too, he could even pay people to return their copy for destruction, or people could post destruction videos ou youtube too (those with digital copies wouldn't have to permanently damage their iPod). The way it works these days, I guess they wouldn't have the right to do so.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 17:56

Yeah, isn't that pretty much what he did with the original HR?

I can just see it now.  The recording booth of Studio 2 at Abbey Road.

Engineer 1: "Uh oh!  Here comes Oldfield!  And he looks pissed!"

Engineer 2: "For God's sake-quick!  Hide the multitracks!!"

:p  :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 29 2008, 18:04

Quote (Olivier @ April 29 2008, 22:18)
Actually, did an artist ever abjure some of his work, a while after public release and forbid further duplication and distribution?

I'm sure 10,000 maniacs did this with their cover of Cat Stevens "Peace Train". It was removed from pressings of the album "In my Tribe" after comments from Cat - following his conversion to Islam - I think about the Salman Rushdie thing.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 29 2008, 22:10

Quote (Olivier @ April 29 2008, 16:18)
Sorry for being so slow... We didn't have a chance to finish discussing it  and come to a resolution yet. To be sure it won't bother us again, I've suggested to ban any mention of The Millennium Bell anywhere on tubular.net but other admins are not sure to agree.  ;) Actually, did an artist ever abjure some of his work, a while after public release and forbid further duplication and distribution? I may have a few suggestions ;) and it could create a lot of buzz around the artist too, and lot of relief for most of people too, he could even pay people to return their copy for destruction, or people could post destruction videos ou youtube too (those with digital copies wouldn't have to permanently damage their iPod). The way it works these days, I guess they wouldn't have the right to do so.

Hahahaha! For years, it seemed like Heaven's Open generated a lot of discussion like TMB does these days. I actually like TMB and used it to introduce several people to Mike Oldfield's music. When the kids were younger (heh, weren't we all, nine years ago? ) they and their friends used to go into hysterics over "Sexy Woman." Of course, it elicited from me the pefunctory diatribe on Inkaic culture and architecture. :D Their eyes nearly rolled out of their heads onto the floor....out the front door and under a bush.

But yeah, sad to say, during that time the record companies pretty much owned the rights, so the artists couldn't buy back their worked if they thought it sucked nor forbid further distribution. These days, seems to me that they might be retaining a few more rights???

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 01 2008, 09:14

Quote (Olivier @ April 29 2008, 17:18)
I've suggested to ban any mention of The Millennium Bell anywhere on tubular.net but other admins are not sure to agree.

....Please don't.

I for one am fascinated with this  Millennium Bell  bashing phenomenon.  For me it's a full flavoursome piece of work, but it does have what some people might class as 'nerdy' bits.   So my theory is that you've got to love the nerd in you to enjoy them, and love the nerd in Mike.

--------------
Profile PM 
16 replies since April 26 2008, 04:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net