Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: London Royal Philharmonic Concerts, Who’s going?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 30 2022, 06:26

Hi all!

Anyone thinking of going to this: https://www.loudersound.com/news....ormance

BRIAN BLESSED!

to be honest I’d be more interested to hear the orchestral arrangements of Hergest Ridge Part 1 and Ommadawn Part 1 - I wonder if they’ve dug out David Bedford’s arrangements or started from scratch.

Think it might be better than 2021s TB show (did that tour ever happen?)

… I feel another Oldfield announcement is coming, don’t know why but it feels about time.
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2022, 02:44

I am also intrigued to hear how they approach Hergest Ridge, it's great they are playing something that has been so rarely played, I guess it shows huge respect to Mike from the RPO.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2022, 22:22

Sadly, I fear that most people now have never heard of Mike. I'd be surprised if anyone turned up...
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: April 01 2022, 20:34

I know what you mean and while Tubular.net is my preferred shrine I don't think the dwindling presence here is a good indication of Mike's popularity. Seems there are still fans out there even if there's not much news to talk about.

I saw an orchestral performance of Tubular Bells many years ago and it was fantastic. Would love to see this show. PLUSSS... TUBULAAAR BELLLLS!!!
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 03 2022, 11:06

I'm going! I'll be sure to share my thoughts on here when I do.

Yeah, seeing Hergest Ridge live is the big draw for me.

I notice it's not the "Royal Philharmonic Orchestra", it's the "Royal Philharmonic CONCERT Orchestra", whatever that means? The whole thing is a bit mysterious. And why is it 2022 and not the true 50th anniversary in 2023? All very weird.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: April 03 2022, 14:47

The Albert Hall is less than 10 miles up the road from me, but I won't be going...orchestral versions don't really inspire me. Admittedly the Orchestral Hergest Ridge is actually quite good, largely due to the style of the music, but I've heard the orchestral TB, no thanks, and the idea of the world/folk instrumental charm of Ommadawn being transcribed for orchestra, just no!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 04 2022, 06:47

Well, apparently it's not just the orchestra, though. There will be a core of "rock" musicians and the orchestra are on top of that. I had posted a message in one of the Mike forums on Facebook, and a guy answered who was involved in publicity for the event or something! I've no reason to doubt him.

I definitely think more info is needed, and I've bought my ticket on a whim and on the hope it will be good.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 30 2022, 06:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net