Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live Recordings: Wealth Of Unreleased Treasures?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2002, 20:43

well as we all know, there are some excellent recordings of QE2 and FMO live material on the complete...as these were recorded at various shows, then several shows on the tour must have been recorded...in which case, mike may have a stockpile of live tapes?...maybe if this is so, with a little help from dark star we could prompt mike to issue something for the fan club?...i know this is just an impossible pipe dream, but if the recordings exist...maybe mike could put them up online for free as he has done with MVR music excerpts...well i throw this idea out to everyone...

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 05:22

I think they should have included details on the dates and venues the live tracks were recorded!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 06:01

This is an issue I've never really understood. I've encountered it personally mainly in the area of Bob Dylan live recordings, but the puzzle is the same no matter who the artist is. A vast number of Dylan shows are bootlegged (often in superb quality) and it's clearly financially rewarding for the bootleggers to do this, even with the limited numbers of CDs that they make and sell.

And yet the number of such live recordings officially issued is pitifully small. But if Mike regularly released live recordings I'd buy them all, and so would many people posting here. So why doesn't it happen?

Is it a royalty problem (which of course is sidestepped by the bootleggers)? Is it that there are so many people involved in a live show that royalties would have to be paid to all of them, and so the whole project wouldn't be worthwhile? Or what?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 20:44

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 21 2005, 18:01)
But if Mike regularly released live recordings I'd buy them all, and so would many people posting here. So why doesn't it happen?

This is something I've been wondering for quite some time. If he released another concert DVD I would buy it in an instant. I wonder if Mike or Warner realise this?

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think that royalties would be so much of an issue as to stop the release. Just think of all the royalties that would have been paid out to those who made all the videos in the Elements DVD. That still got released, and I can't see how a live concert would have any more people involved. But I really don't have any knowledge in this area.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 06 2008, 17:22

Lots of musicians record every gig on a tour with a view to compiling a live album or DVD or whatever afterwards - so they have the most options about getting the best versions of songs. You end up with lots and lots of tapes, and they might not be kept for long once the live album has been compiled. Even if they were kept, I wouldn't like to guess who would have the tapes.

Apparently Mike himself had very little to do with the compilation of TCMO and probably doesn't want to spend ages listening to lots of and lots of recordings of his concerts.

However, I can help with record dates. The Amarok page says:

Platinum was taken from a recording on the 1980 Platinum Tour; Sheba and Mirage are from Essen in 1981 (European Adventure Tour); and Mount Teide is from Cologne 1982 (Five Miles Out Tour).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 09:22

Well i for one would gladly do the job of compiling the material for Mike and save him such an arduous task!
 If he recorded many dates on the Exposed tour,and as we know the resulting LP was a composite of several shows,and there's more on TCMO from the next 2 tours then there's probably enough for a 3CD set/box set.This would be the preferable format as it would allow space for the longer works.
The record companies would probably say this was not comercially viable and likely to only appeal to hardcore fans.But then wasn't Elements the same?Given that there must be a huge pile of tapes from all the subsequent tours ('79-84 inclusive at least)then a box would be any fans birthadays and xmas's all rolled into 1!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2013, 08:14

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Feb. 06 2008, 17:22)
However, I can help with record dates. The Amarok page says:

Platinum was taken from a recording on the 1980 Platinum Tour; Sheba and Mirage are from Essen in 1981 (European Adventure Tour); and Mount Teide is from Cologne 1982 (Five Miles Out Tour).

I was about to start a new topic, and with it a link to the AMAROK information but I'll happily hi-jack Mat's.

So anyone care to start again?  I bow to the wisdom of all you who have discovered the recordings of Mike's shows over the years, but Mount Teide is definitely not December in Cologne.  It's come round again just now, as I listen to the Special Edition of Five Miles Out, and is quite clearly an interpretation from a different part of the tour.  I like, but prefer the version I've known for {shudder} more than half my life.  Is there a recording from one of the other Cologne dates that year that has confused researchers?

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2013, 20:33

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Sep. 09 2013, 14:14)
So anyone care to start again?  I bow to the wisdom of all you who have discovered the recordings of Mike's shows over the years, but Mount Teide is definitely not December in Cologne.  It's come round again just now, as I listen to the Special Edition of Five Miles Out, and is quite clearly an interpretation from a different part of the tour.

As far as I know, that recording of Mount Teide is from another concert in Cologne, recorded on Nov 2, 1982. There seemed to be 3 different dates for Cologne in different months that year. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2013, 08:11

Just as I was about to submit that post, the fear of ignoring the possibility of the other Cologne dates struck me!  Thanks, EeToN - and it's fascinating to see and hear how Mike mixed things up back in the day.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 12 2002, 20:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net