Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live Punkadiddle & Polka< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2000, 16:55

For those of you who have got the 4-cd boxed Elements [I think the pieces I'm talking about are only there, unless someone downloaded 'em from the Web wink]: I'd like to know your opinion about the live version of Punkadiddle and about Polka... I love them both, they're good examples of Mike's playful but still virtuoso style when playing live.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2000, 11:10

wink Yep yep yep !
Those tow tracks are great ! Folk style, but IMO it's ok.
You point it Ugo : these folk tracks show that Mike CAN play very fast live, so IMO He didn't speed up some part in Ommadawn and Amarok ( wink"I want to believe" wink)

BTW, about this, I think Mike is a HUGE guitarist, so He doesn't need to speed up anything. Does anyone ever suspect Steve Vai or Satriani to speed up their solo artificially ? So why suspect Mike ? Is He worse than them ? Noooooooooo

I specially like the intro of Polka, and Punkaddidle is good, but I think I prefear the Montreux's Version.

Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 28 2000, 21:23

The bit I always liked from that live Punkadiddle was right at the end, where the rest of the instruments drop out and it's left with Mike soloing over those synth chords. I think that live version works better than the studio version, in some ways...perhaps it's a bit bigger, maybe it has more life, something like that.
Polka's definitely a lot of fun - sort of thing that's good to try on the mandolin as well (which wouldn't be too out of keeping, it being what I believe is an Irish fiddle tune). Another great example of Mike's live work though...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 06:00

I only just downloaded these from the Internet - was the Polka ever released as a studio track?

I'd be interested to hear the difference.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 09:54

No, Mat...it was only done live..and it's only on the Elements 4-CD box. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2001, 04:23

Wrong ! It was also Arrival B-side smile
But it was live too...

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 23 2001, 19:26

Oops! wink

Well I think that also Donauwaltz was a (non-official?) B-side somewhere. It's just one of those popular pieces that Mike likes to play [and play with... smile] during concerts...

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2002, 01:03

Polka Rocks!!! I would have put it on an album! It's one of my all time favourite tracks. Also, Punkadiddle rocks too, and I would love to see it played live. I have a website called Punkadiddle! Its at www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 02:20

both are cool. on the bootleg "I met a sweet senora in barcelona" there is a Polka style tune called Polka-Radetzky March. it sounds like it is a small medley of the 2 but i'm not sure.

Punkadiddle is mega kool. it deserves the phrase "Kool Moozik" which i only use for very special songs.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 29 2003, 13:24

Quote (mirwais57 @ April 02 2002, 02:20)
both are cool. on the bootleg "I met a sweet senora in barcelona" there is a Polka style tune called Polka-Radetzky March. it sounds like it is a small medley of the 2 but i'm not sure.

You're right. It's a medley of both played in Vienna in the 1980 tour (he used to play polka alone but there Mike made this medley).

The live version of Polka appeared originally as the Arrival 7" B-side (as Vinz has said before) and the live Punkadiddle is the same for Five Miles Out 7".
Profile PM 
9 replies since Oct. 13 2000, 16:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net