Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live performance by the RPO in fall 2022< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 30 2022, 06:31

As reported by Louder, Tubular Bells, Omamdawn Part 1, and Hergest Ridge Part 1 will be performed live by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and MC Brian Blessed later this year:
- Oct 31: Nottingham Royal Concert Hall
- Nov 1: London Royal Albert Hall
- Nov 2: Birmingham Symphony Hall

Buy tickets
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2022, 02:40

This could be an amazing night, it's very interesting they haven chosen to also play Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 03 2022, 11:02

I was in two minds about this, but I booked a ticket for the Royal Albert Hall in the end. The fact they are playing Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn is the clincher for me. When else would I ever get the chance to hear Hergest Ridge live?

And it's Brian Blessed, so should be fun.

I wish there was more info about it though. I'm not sure what musicians are involved. It would be good if they had a guest star guitarist of some kind.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2022, 13:33

Looks like it's being recorded ,as pre-orders are appearing on Amazon
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2022, 02:06

So it is, thanks for letting us know, I will be getting this, it will be great to hear Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn too. Hopefully, this is the start of the proper celebrations of the album next year.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2022, 10:17

I am going to the RAH concert too, see some of you there then :)
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2022, 04:08

Quote (hergest fridge @ Sep. 21 2022, 13:33)
Looks like it's being recorded ,as pre-orders are appearing on Amazon

The Amazon Blu ray pre-order you mentioned appears to be the "Tubular Bells - Live in Concert" from August 2021 That was filmed over three nights at the world-famous Royal Festival Hall, this contemporary masterpiece incorporates the Circa Contemporary Circus and includes Tubular Bells, Moonlight Shadow,Summit Day, and The Gem, a new work by Musical Director Robin Smith. MC was Samuel West.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2022, 11:15

[QUOTE]The Amazon Blu ray pre-order you mentioned appears to be the "Tubular Bells - Live in Concert" from August 2021 That was filmed over three nights at the world-famous Royal Festival Hall, this contemporary masterpiece incorporates the Circa Contemporary Circus and includes Tubular Bells, Moonlight Shadow,Summit Day, and The Gem, a new work by Musical Director Robin Smith. MC was Samuel West.[QUOTE]

It's confusing but the blu ray I can see definitely says it's the Brian Blessed one. It's also up on streaming service, although only Moonlight Shadow is playable at the moment.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2022, 07:55

Just to add something else that may be of interest,if go to the tiger moth  records store which is the Robert reed website, you'll find Robin A Smith has recorded a version of Tubular Bells. You may also find some  other cover versions of Mike's work
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2022, 05:55

Looks like another show has been added for 24th March 2023 This time in Swansea, Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o....5220806

It also has a couple of photos of Mike in his studio from the 80's I guess; I don't remember seeing them before.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2022, 11:40

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 11 2022, 05:55)
Looks like another show has been added for 24th March 2023 This time in Swansea, Wales.

It also has a couple of photos of Mike in his studio from the 80's I guess; I don't remember seeing them before.

Thats great news! I only live 25 miles from Swansea so I will be booking my ticket very soon!  :p
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2022, 03:25

Lucky you, I hope you have a good time.
Profile PM 
oldnutinfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2022, 06:34

RAH gig should be great. 70th birthday present from my offspring that hits one of bucket list.
Mike, just pop in and give us all a wave please.
Brian please don't shout my ears are not so good nowadays.
Will play Orchestral Bells CD on the way and annoy my other half.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2022, 15:14

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 11 2022, 05:55)

My youngest daughter as just booked a couple of seats for the Swansea show on March 24th as my birthday present (76th) a few days earlier. However, these shows are entirely different to the Nottingham/ London / Birmingham gigs coming up this late October/ early November. So, a scaled down version....no Royal Philarmonic Orchestra or Brian Blessed as MC and of course no Mike Oldfield!! Still, the show does feature Robin A Smith and Jay Stapley who both appeared with Mike on the "Tubular Bells II" Edinburgh Castle gig so it should still be a good night.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2022, 18:16

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 30 2022, 06:31)
As reported by Louder, Tubular Bells, Omamdawn Part 1, and Hergest Ridge Part 1 will be performed live by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and MC Brian Blessed later this year:
- Oct 31: Nottingham Royal Concert Hall
- Nov 1: London Royal Albert Hall
- Nov 2: Birmingham Symphony Hall

Buy tickets

They have added another date on this Royal Philamonic Orchestra with MC Brian Blessed show for 31st March 2023 at the Bath Forum. Tickets from £20 up to £50.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 09:27

My review of last night's show at the Royal Albert Hall, from the Afterword music website:

https://theafterword.co.uk/celebra....chestra

To sum up, it was magical and disappointing in equal measure, but the highs (Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge) more than made up for the lows (Brian Blessed's awful Caveman performance).
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 11:23

Quote (shenry @ Nov. 02 2022, 09:27)
My review of last night's show at the Royal Albert Hall, from the Afterword music website:

To sum up, it was magical and disappointing in equal measure, but the highs (Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge) more than made up for the lows (Brian Blessed's awful Caveman performance).

Having read your excellent and honest review of the Royal Albert Hall  show you attended last night I would like to offer my sympathy for your disappointment especially travelling down all the way from Scotland. Having been a Mike Oldfield fan since day one I was thinking about going to this (RHA) gig myself but the travelling to London from South Wales and back would have been a bit too much for me as I'm 75 and suffering with osteoarthritis of both knees and awaiting a hip replacement!! I am going to the other 50th Anniversary Tour next year in Swansea which is a scaled down version of the RAH gig, no Royal Philarmonic or Brian Blessed! However, after your review I am having second thoughts about the Swansea show next year but I havent got the heart to tell my daughter who jumped the gun and bought a couple of tickets as a birthday present for me!
Profile PM 
oldnutinfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 11:59

Quote (jayjay16428 @ Nov. 02 2022, 11:23)
Quote (shenry @ Nov. 02 2022, 09:27)

Having read your excellent and honest review of the Royal Albert Hall  show you attended last night I would like to offer my sympathy for your disappointment especially travelling down all the way from Scotland. Having been a Mike Oldfield fan since day one I was thinking about going to this (RHA) gig myself but the travelling to London from South Wales and back would have been a bit too much for me as I'm 75 and suffering with osteoarthritis of both knees and awaiting a hip replacement!! I am going to the other 50th Anniversary Tour next year in Swansea which is a scaled down version of the RAH gig, no Royal Philarmonic or Brian Blessed! However, after your review I am having second thoughts about the Swansea show next year but I havent got the heart to tell my daughter who jumped the gun and bought a couple of tickets as a birthday present for me!

so went to RAH last night and to be honest it was brilliant.
picked up they blended return with orginal Ommadawn as orchestrats better. Hergest was great with orchestra and band and worth doing full covers of these amazing bits of modern classic music. Incantations/Ommadawn/Songs of distant and even Amorok.
It worked and brought a tear to my eye. We know Mike can't perform now but he needs to carry on writing and produce music with quality players for all our sakes.
Yep a concert to remember and no stupid circus dancers just quality music. :)
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 11:59

I was at the RAH show last night and I pretty much agree with everything shenry says in his review, spot on I'd say.

I wouldn't hesitate to go if you can make it, the places where it worked well, and I'd say that was most of it, were quite wonderful! To hear Ommadawn, in particular, played in such a committed way was something very special.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 13:27

All the criticisms I've been reading are mainly of Tubular Bells and particularly Brian Blessed's Caveman. But the show was more than worth it for Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge alone.
Profile PM 
34 replies since Mar. 30 2022, 06:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net