[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live performance by the RPO in fall 2022< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jayjay16428 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 02 2022, 14:20

Quote (pauken @ Nov. 02 2022, 11:59)
I was at the RAH show last night and I pretty much agree with everything shenry says in his review, spot on I'd say.

I wouldn't hesitate to go if you can make it, the places where it worked well, and I'd say that was most of it, were quite wonderful! To hear Ommadawn, in particular, played in such a committed way was something very special.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the RAH gig. As I mentioned in an earlier post I will be going to the Swansea gig next March 24th (the Robin A Smith / Jay Stapley Group) but my dilemma now is shall I also go to the Royal Philamonic Orchestra / MC Brian Blessed gig in Bath the week after Swansea? Is there anyone on here planning on going to the Bath Forum show on 31st March 2023?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 03:31

I wouldn't worry about Brian Blessed, the opportunity to her Mike's music played by such a prodigious orchestra has got to be worth it.
Profile PM 
Pinhead Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 06:02

Could do either the Liverpool or Bath gigs on this new tour, but for clarity, this definately isn't the "Royal Philamonic Orchestra with MC Brian Blessed" tour (which now shows as finished).
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 06:44

Quote (Pinhead @ Nov. 04 2022, 06:02)
Could do either the Liverpool or Bath gigs on this new tour, but for clarity, this definately isn't the "Royal Philamonic Orchestra with MC Brian Blessed" tour (which now shows as finished).

Your right, the Bath show now appears to be the Robin A Smith/ Jay Stapley group. However, when I posted the news on here of the Bath gig (Oct. 18th) it definitely stated the RPO/Brian Blessed show on the Bath Forum website  at the time. What a c**k up! Why coudn't it be just the one diffinitive Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary show, it would stop all this confusion!
Profile PM 
Pinhead Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 07:57

No mention that its anything other than TB being performed for this tour - i.e. no excepts from Ommadawn, HR etc.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 09:37

Quote (Pinhead @ Nov. 04 2022, 07:57)
No mention that its anything other than TB being performed for this tour - i.e. no excepts from Ommadawn, HR etc.

Exactly! It appears we (the long time MO fans) in the rest of the UK are being stiched up! They are charging £60+ for the best seats (in Swansea) for a scalled down version! So, basically, and lets be honest, for a Mike Oldfield tribute band!
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 11:24

Quote (jayjay16428 @ Nov. 04 2022, 09:37)

Exactly! It appears we (the long time MO fans) in the rest of the UK are being stiched up! They are charging £60+ for the best seats (in Swansea) for a scalled down version! So, basically, and lets be honest, for a Mike Oldfield tribute band!

The co-ordination of all this has been a bit of a shambles, and I agree these shows are generally overpriced. The Robin Smith one is quite expensive and is "just" Tubular Bells (around five or six musicians I think, plus backing tracks (I've heard)) - so I'm really deliberating whether to go to the Glasgow one or not. Seems bizarre that it's more expensive than the Royal Albert Hall show with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, but I suppose they need to make up their costs for touring etc.

My decision to attend the Albert Hall show was definitely motivated by affordability, plus it was a special event given the venue and the inclusion of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.

The shambolic aspect of it all, I kind of forgave because I just thought of it as two competing shows that weren't connected to each other. But now I don't know - there's some weird connection because the DVD/Bluray of the Robin Smith live show uses the same "tubular 50" image as the promo for the RPO orchestral shows - so there must be some kind of connection between the two behind the scenes? All very strange.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 11:46

Quote (shenry @ Nov. 04 2022, 11:24)
Quote (jayjay16428 @ Nov. 04 2022, 09:37)

The co-ordination of all this has been a bit of a shambles, and I agree these shows are generally overpriced. The Robin Smith one is quite expensive and is "just" Tubular Bells (around five or six musicians I think, plus backing tracks (I've heard)) - so I'm really deliberating whether to go to the Glasgow one or not. Seems bizarre that it's more expensive than the Royal Albert Hall show with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, but I suppose they need to make up their costs for touring etc.

My decision to attend the Albert Hall show was definitely motivated by affordability, plus it was a special event given the venue and the inclusion of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.

The shambolic aspect of it all, I kind of forgave because I just thought of it as two competing shows that weren't connected to each other. But now I don't know - there's some weird connection because the DVD/Bluray of the Robin Smith live show uses the same "tubular 50" image as the promo for the RPO orchestral shows - so there must be some kind of connection between the two behind the scenes? All very strange.

I like you I'm very frustrated and confused! In fact, I have just cancelled my pre-order for the 50th Anniversary Blu Ray on Amazon! And as jjmillenium pointed out in another post "it seems that the 'interview' on the 50th Anniversary DVD/Blu Ray with Mike is not new". It's "Turning Back the Clock with Mike Oldfield" and that's been on Youtube since 2014!! As I said previously my daughter jumped the gun and booked a couple of seats for the Swansea gig as my birthday present in March, so I will have to go with an open mind I guess!
Profile PM 
Pinhead Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 12:23

People cash in on anniversary excuses like this. Shame Mike hasn't planned anything - would have been a good bookend.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 12:46

Quote (Pinhead @ Nov. 04 2022, 12:23)
People cash in on anniversary excuses like this. Shame Mike hasn't planned anything - would have been a good bookend.

As I said in a previous post that May 2023 is the 50th anniversary of Tubular Bells (May 25th) preceded  by Mike's 70th birthday (May 15th) and wouldn't it be wonderful if "Tubular Bells 4" was officially released worldwide on May 15th with a World Premier Live Show similar to TBII in Edinburgh !! Come on Mike, give us some good news before christmas!
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2022, 13:06

Quote (Pinhead @ Nov. 04 2022, 12:23)

As anyone seen the poor reviews for the over-priced 50th Anniversary Tubular Bells  Double CD's / Double Vinyl on Amazon?  There is even one review for the double cassettes version! Brian Blessed gets a lot of stick! I was surprised to see they were released on June 28th in the States which explains why they are pretty expensive in the UK!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2022, 22:11

Quote (shenry @ Nov. 02 2022, 13:27)
All the criticisms I've been reading are mainly of Tubular Bells and particularly Brian Blessed's Caveman.

Sounds like a reprise of the role he played in the Space 1999 story.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2022, 09:46

Just had a thought - imagine how good Andy Serkis would have been as both caveman and master of ceremonies? Or a combination of Benedict Cumberbatch as master of ceremonies with Serkis as the caveman?

Or go wild and have the first female Mistress of Ceremonies? Dame Judy Dench?

Or, and surely this must have been mooted, massive Oldfield fan, and musician, with a fantastic voice - MATT BERRY?
Profile PM WEB 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2022, 10:13

Quote (Platinumpty @ Nov. 08 2022, 09:46)
Just had a thought - imagine how good Andy Serkis would have been as both caveman and master of ceremonies? Or a combination of Benedict Cumberbatch as master of ceremonies with Serkis as the caveman?

Or go wild and have the first female Mistress of Ceremonies? Dame Judy Dench?

Or, and surely this must have been mooted, massive Oldfield fan, and musician, with a fantastic voice - MATT BERRY?

How about Matt Berry's mother? MARY BERRY!!  or better still MATT's  father LOGAN BERRY!!
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2022, 08:50

Quote (Platinumpty @ Nov. 08 2022, 09:46)

Oh, Matt Berry is a VERY good suggestion. I wonder if he was asked? He's a Tubular Bells fan as well!
Profile PM 
34 replies since Mar. 30 2022, 06:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net