Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live Orchestral Tubular Bells, live OTB/ M.O., Steve Hillage, Andy Sum.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularspheres Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 16 2007, 13:11

I turn to this fine group of members to shed some light on a topic that has me frustrated to no end. There is probably not one Mike Oldfield rarity I do not have. Other then one, that eludes me with hundreds of hours of searching.  We all know so well the album Orchestral Tubular Bells. I bought that, as well as most of you may have too. However, a long time ago I came across a popular bootleg album (Swallowed up by a big fat snake). Within this gem was part 2 of a live performace of Orchestral Tubular Bells. All I can find of Part 1 is about a shy first 5 minutes. Even Youtube has/had a 1 or 2 minute clip of Mike doing the live version. (the album is much less guitar, and very studio sounding). Besides Mike doing the guitar honors, there was also concerts with  Andy Summers, and Steve Hillage too (Not refering to Steve Hillage's Orchestral Hergest Ridge).  I have a feeling I am probably looking too hard for something that is probably under my nose (online). Do any of you fine members know of a release of a live version? Or a site that would have more information? Other then typing in google or yahoo search for Mike Oldfield, Steve Hillage, Andy Summers Live Orchestral Tubular Bells. Or a variety of other search terms, I would appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction. Thank you all.

ps. I have followed this site, and forum for years now. This is my first post. Probably a stupid one, but it was a last resort after hitting a brick wall time after time. Thanks again. :/
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 18:00

I'm surprised there were no replies to this. Maybe it's a bit late now?

I wonder if it was part of the TV broadcast? Or could I be completely wrong?

Didn't Steve Hillage play on both Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge on the TV broadcast - or is my memory failing me?  I saw/heard the broadcast at the time, but it's rather a while ago....  :laugh:

To the best of my knowledge the video footage is now lost, which wouldn't be surprising as a lot of early 70s BBC film no longer exists, but some audio recordings survive.

My memory of the original broadcast tells me Hergest Ridge worked better than Tubular Bells, but neither were anything like as good as the original recordings. Hillage's guitar playing was very impressive though. It was only much more recently that I heard the story about him having taken LSD as a speed learning method for the concerts....

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
1 replies since Dec. 16 2007, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net