Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live At Montreux 1981 DVD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hergest fridge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2006, 16:59

DVD arrived yesterday,and watched it last night .
It,s exactly what i expected it to be,and a perfect snapshot of Mike and his music at that time.For me it was a great time to be an Oldfield fan with the album and then tour cycle that went on until the mid 80,s( HAPPY DAYS :D )
I know one or two people have metioned Mikes mistakes in the concert but that,s always been the case with his live work.I have seen him live( 5 times) and mistakes did happen,i just put that down to Mike conducting everyone else on stage and checking their performance rather than his own.
Going back to this concert though ,i think it,s a good example how the music was stripped back and played in a rockier way with a small band and not like the overblown stuff on Exposed .
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 17:03

Yes, I find it pleasant too that it's a small band. It really does no harm to the music... and you hear everything that's going on. About mistakes: I really don't care for them too. That always happen when it's live, except when you're called PinkFloyd and do a Pulse concert :)
I watched the personal site too of morris pert, percussionist
Quite interesting work he's got and career. Hehehe... still looks the same, only the hair is grey.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 18 2006, 09:09

have you heard the news? the dogs are dead  ;)
talking about floyd Stefan... Gilmour says there will be a new dvd concert from his tour 2006 ;)
also Roger Waters will release a new dvd for his dark side of the moon tour.
----
About mike..
I have no new dvd yet, but maybe tomorrow??  :D
(the status for my order says; sent)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 18 2006, 13:23

Quote (yanouch65 @ May 17 2006, 15:59)
Hi

I think that it is not the American edition. I bought it on Ebay, several weeks ago and this DVD come from Korea. It is made by Media Asia. It is very nice. There are both "Knebworth and Elements" on the disc.

If you want more informations.....and If can answer.....I will do it.....

Yanouch

Yeah, if you could. I didn't know any existence of this DVD. It wasn't mentioned on this site either. I saw it was an NTSC DVD. Do you know if it's available new on websites, or can you only order it second hand on Ebay?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 18 2006, 20:55

New forum dedicated to the DVD: http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=76
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 19 2006, 09:56

Hi Blue Dolphin,

Sorry for my english, I try to do my best........

This DVD was for sale on Ebay several month ago. It was sold by a seller called dvdtopia, located in South Korea. The DVD is new and unplayed. It is sealed.
This ebayer is not registered anymore!
There is one DVD in a case and this case is in a carton.

I can read this notes: Dolby Digital, 2.0 Stereo, Fullscreen, NTSC, DVD Video, English, running time 122min, MC 1009, subtitle: Korean, single layer, M&C Media Asia, release date 2004.

Collection: The Greatest Music DVD Masterpiece

I send some pictures to you by email.......I don't know how to put them in this forum

Hope to help you

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: May 19 2006, 12:35

Well, just got a quick look at Taurus 1 and it's excellent. Mike's playing is impecable. Taurus 1 is very complex to play. This DVD shows off Mikes playing more so than recent concerts. The sound quality is excellent also.The band are brilliant and as always Maggie Reilly is cute. Can't wait to watch the rest. The joy of DVD! :cool:
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 19 2006, 12:37

Yes, got it from the same seller. the Quality of the Knebworth concert is better than the new Montreuex DVD.. I got that today in the mail, and It's good, but the picture quality isn't crystal clear or anything. Mike makes a rather massive mistake on the descending guitar solo in Ommadawn, which dissapoints me, as I bought the DVD Soley for Ommadawn.. But oh well  :)

Looks like a young Jim Carey on keyboards..
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 19 2006, 14:25

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ May 19 2006, 12:37)
Looks like a young Jim Carey on keyboards..

As long as it is not Drew Carey on accordion!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
airborn Offline

Posted: May 21 2006, 10:43

Aside from the great music on the dvd I was wondering if anybody knew how to get a copy of the 15 Montreux International Jazz Festival/1981 poster? I think it would look amazing framed. Thanks
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 21 2006, 10:55

Quote (airborn @ May 21 2006, 10:43)
I was wondering if anybody knew how to get a copy of the 15 Montreux International Jazz Festival/1981 poster?

Maybe you could ask Tubularman (send pm or something) because he knows a great site where you can get posters. I'm not sure what that site is, though I've seen it, but he knows :)
maybe that helps!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
airborn Offline

Posted: May 21 2006, 22:02

Thanks Piltdownboy I just sent Tubularman a message. :)
Profile PM 
Jeremy Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 00:50

For the last few friday nights I've been going around to my brothers place to watch the Montreux 1981 DVD (yes, the entire New Zealand MO fan club all under one roof once again) and as we do on such auspicious occassions, we toast the performance with a wee drop of something in keeping the theme. Well, after getting through most of our bottle of Benedictine liquer, thinking that Montreux was  somewhere in France, we finally realised  we should have been doing some kind of fondue laced with beer !! It was a harsh lesson but I think I will learn from my mistake!

Watching the performance has made me realise what a unique age we live in where we can revisit events from the past in such a comprehensive way. To almost feel part of an experience that occurred 25 years ago in a far off country is quite amazing. It almost seems quite  an abstract scenario, imagine, Mozart - Live in Vienna 1788 DVD.

Putting that all aside, it's probably the most enjoyable MO DVD to hit the shelves, lots of work for Mike and the band, amazing skills all round. For me a definate stepping stone between the exposed concerts and the Knebworth performance.

I've forgotten, what was that release date for the Knebworth DVD again?

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 01:37

Montreux in France !!!   :(

By the way, the Montreux Jazz Festival will start soon......
I have found this information on their website:
"One can relive the best moments of the Montreux Jazz Festival. Every day, at the end of the afternoon, archives are being projected at the Salon Rotary (Montreux Palace, 1st floor). This year, in order to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Festival, a concert from each year will be presented
"

Maybe Mike will be there...on the screen! I live near Montreux, I will have a look...

Regards from Switzerland   :cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 13:27

Yeah I just bought it the other day and it is amazingly good. Punkadiddle,
not one of my favorite album tracks, is amazing here and Taurus 1 and Sheba are defo the highlights for me. He don't make 'em like that no more.

Here's a strange fact. Morris Pert, the weirdy beardy drummer, now lives as a musical hermit in the far north west of Scotland.
Profile PM 
94 replies since April 12 2006, 00:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net