Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Live At Montreux 1981 DVD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 13 2006, 09:14

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ May 13 2006, 04:23)
no... well... an extra for you, I should say ;) hehehe... go straight to punkadiddle tati! ;) you'll like that...  :p

What is it...I'm tooo curious!!! Cant' wait!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 13 2006, 10:03

REVIEW NOW!!!  :)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 11:43

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 13 2006, 09:14)
What is it...I'm tooo curious!!! Cant' wait!

All I will say, is: you'll be thrilled ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 

Posted: May 14 2006, 11:50

Quote (larstangmark @ May 13 2006, 10:03)
REVIEW NOW!!!  :)

Well... why I didn't mention so much is because there are some fine surprises in there, that are great when you watch it for the first time. I was watching all the time with a smile on my face. It's a small band, and well filmed, so you see everything very good how it's done. Also I just find myself bursting out in laughing when I see this MorrisPert person ;) hehehe... He looks like a right nutter!! hahahaha... Nutty professor... The band are good. I like rick fenn. He's good on bass, guitar and drumming in a bit of ommadawn.
I think the keyboard player is such a happy boy. He's looking a bit nervous, but also very much enjoying himself. His sweater is awesome. Oh, and for the musical surprise: watch the end of Taurus1, and see what happens!!
Mike plays very good... of course makes a few mistakes (can't blame a few mistakes in a long concert)... a pedal error in ommadawn, he starts too late in Platinum once, so that Mike Frye was confused and mike too... but they handle that good. Maggie sings good, and she looks rediculously funny, but cool :)  
Ommadawn sounds good, even with not so many musicians... lot's of work for the keyboard guy, Cross, I think. Mirage is beautiful. Punkadiddle is even funny, and so is part 3 of Platinum!  
Ok, so I give it a 10/10!! Can't think of anything bad about it. It's great!

HUAN CRY: about the sound and film quality...
We have surround sound at home, but I didn't notice it that much. SOunded very good the sound, but if you prefer stereo, than there's no problem at all. The sound is very good and clear, and so is the film. You can see that it's an old footage, and some bits are blurred for a nanasecond, but overall it's remastered very well, and the whole thing looks like it's been made with care.  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 12:29

Wowww, thanks for the review, Piltdownboy on horseback 22  :O
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 13:22

Many thanks Piltdownboy on horseback 22

I hope Mike's pedal error on Ommadawn is not too distracting ? !

My order should arrive tomorrow hopefully ... my expectations are so high now tonight's going to be like Xmas eve when I was a lad and couldn't get to sleep for hours !!!

This dvd could take 25yrs off my life ! since I saw Mike in concert ( for the 2nd time ) at the Rainbow Theatre in London on the same tour ...end of July ...Montreux's two shows were in early July I believe ... I remember it being one of best if not The Best MO concert I've been to ... I've seen him live 9 or 10 times in all !!  :D
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 17:15

SECOND REVIEW

Well, like horseback I also got the DVD on the 13th. (Netherlands is rather quick on these release dates) I didn't have the time to comment on it but here's my 2 cents now. I do not agree with horseback about the quality though.

The DVD looks nice, the included booklet adds some information but nothing really new. What immediatley got me dissapointed is the video quality of the concert. After 25 years tape tends to loose some quality, but with remasters we can solve this.

However, this is not the case with the Montreux DVD. It doesn't look remasterd at all! I looks like to me they just threw the tape right on DVD. I can see stripes, blurs and drop outs. The sound isn't much either. I really am suprised about the surround sound feature because it doesn't really sound differently compared to the stereo. I don't see how you can make surround out of audio footage of 25 years old either!

The show is rather nice, thought it's a shame Mike makes so many mistakes. I have similar recordings and video footage of concerts from the same period which sounds much better. But it's nice for fans to have the songs from QE2 on DVD live.

Overall, nice DVD for the footage but dissapointing quality. What I am really looking forward to is KNEBWORTH CONCERT ON DVD!!!!!!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 18:20

Quote (HuanCry @ May 10 2006, 18:07)
For Nicolas

I thought the 'guitars sounding like bagpipes'  description was self-evident ...I'm referring to the tune just prior to the Piltdown Man section on the original TB where Mike uses 'guitars sounding like bagpipes' ?

Eeton confirmed Mike played this part at Montreux and consequently I'm very happy !

Neil  :)

P.S. This part was not played on the Exposed LP !

Thanks.  As it was not played on the Exposed LP and I do not have a detailed listing of parts on my TB LP, I did not know what part was called or played with "guitars sounding like bagpipes" and whether this was even a part of the original TB.  All clear and self-evident now, thanks!
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 18:24

Thanks for your review, Blue Dolphin.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 14 2006, 18:31

Blue Dolphin: I can imagine why you say that about the quality. Maybe I'm just less critical. You're right about some bits being not the highest standard. Still I thought bearing in mind it is so old, it still looks very good to me... But I can understand why you say that, yes  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 04:14

Well here we are - the 15th of May (Happy Birthday, Mike) - and I check my account at Amazon.co.uk to discover that my advance order, placed weeks ago back in April, is still just sitting there looking at me with no sign of being dispatched or anything. Yet we know it's available from all you folks who have it already.

Anyone else had one from Amazon yet?
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 04:50

just been into Virgin and they don't have any!!
could the UK release date have been put back??
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 06:01

Hello.

I have received the DVD in my house this morning, bought in the Play.com store.

In my Mike Oldfield Blog I have upload captures of the menu and the video concert.

Images of DVD Montreux 1981

To press on the images to see them great resolution.

Greetings from Spain.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 10:33

Thanks for reviewing the DVD! I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it later on, but this month I just can't afford it!

Seeing the pictures from the performance, I realize that parts of this is performance is available (in low quality) at youtube.com!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 11:39

When I saw some bits of the show on the web,it was quite exciting to hear the QE2 tunes...Taurus I with bits of Taurus II...

And...now I know why you wanna see me to watch Punkadiddle...yeah...Mike is shirtless on it,but the music is the most important thing  :cool:

I do think that this year Virgin will release The Essential MO on DVD...fingers crossed!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 17:59

As I did say earlier in this thread I ended up buying a new amplifier at the weekend, as my old amp keeps cutting out especially switching between functions  :( .  So I pushed the boat out wnt for the £150 Cambridge Audio "Azur340A" ,a great amp IMHO. The first CD I played was Ommadawn,  it really had  MORE of that WOW :D factor, even using bog standard interconnection leads that  often come free with many piecesof hi-fi,haveto upgrade my leads later on.

For the first time in months I was able to play a DVD without the sound cutting out ;).
Blue Dolphin   Posted on May 14 2006, 22:15  However, this is not the case with the Montreux DVD. It doesn't look remasterd at all! I looks like to me they just threw the tape right on DVD. I can see stripes, blurs and drop outs. The sound isn't much either. I really am suprised about the surround sound feature because it doesn't really sound differently compared to the stereo. I don't see how you can make surround out of audio footage of 25 years old either!

The show is rather nice, thought it's a shame Mike makes so many mistakes. I have similar recordings and video footage of concerts from the same period which sounds much better. But it's nice for fans to have the songs from QE2 on DVD live.

I didn't really notice many stripes, blurs and dropouts,  but may be my DVD player only cost £40,so that it doesn't detect blips  in picture quality.  
I didn't really  notice Mike make any mistakes. I thought the band  worked well together,and looked happy and in good spirits.

HuanCry   Posted on May 14 2006, 18:22  My order should arrive tomorrow hopefully ... my expectations are so high now tonight's going to be like Xmas eve when I was a lad and couldn't get to sleep for hours !!!

This dvd could take 25yrs off my life ! since I saw Mike in concert ( for the 2nd time ) at the Rainbow Theatre in London on the same tour ...end of July ...Montreux's two shows were in early July I believe ... I remember it being one of best if not The Best MO concert I've been to ... I've seen him live 9 or 10 times in all !!  :D

Yes I was excited at the prospect of this DVD turning up, had to buy myself the new amp to get real pleasure from listening to it, with my old amp the sound cutting out was frustrating to say the least.   On Saturday I had gone up to Birmingham for a "Tolkien Weekend" , Ijustwent for theday Saturday. I ended up rushing back to the  hi -fi store before it shut,then a train back from New Street to Euston (thanks for the free ride Mr B hehehee!!!)then across toKings Cross andbackto Bedfordshire Saturday night.  BTW if there's any Tolkien enthusiast Mike fans want to meet up for next years event, I'd happily meet up with you,makes it more fun.    
HuanCry, You've seen Mike 9or10 times,,you lucky thing!!!.I haven't seen Mikeplay live   Unfortunately circumstances haven'tmade it easy for me to get to live concerts  for a few years now,hope things WILL soon change.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 16 2006, 01:04

So is Ommadawn complete? that's about the only reason I bought this DVD, it was shipped from Amazon today.

Oh, and I do have The Essential on DVD, it came with my Elements DVD. The performance of Ommadawn on Knebworth was very well done, too bad they cut out about 7 minutes of it  :/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/mikepike/Laffo_165.jpg
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 16 2006, 04:25

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ May 16 2006, 06:04)
I bought this DVD, it was shipped from Amazon today.

Yep. Amazon buyers may smile again. Mine has been despatched too.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2006, 16:11

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ May 16 2006, 07:04)
So is Ommadawn complete? that's about the only reason I bought this DVD, it was shipped from Amazon today.

Oh, and I do have The Essential on DVD, it came with my Elements DVD. The performance of Ommadawn on Knebworth was very well done, too bad they cut out about 7 minutes of it  :/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/mikepike/Laffo_165.jpg

Eh???????????????????

I didn't know the American edition of Elements DVD had the Essential concert included???? That's new for me!  :O

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 17 2006, 09:59

Hi

I think that it is not the American edition. I bought it on Ebay, several weeks ago and this DVD come from Korea. It is made by Media Asia. It is very nice. There are both "Knebworth and Elements" on the disc.

If you want more informations.....and If can answer.....I will do it.....

Yanouch

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
94 replies since April 12 2006, 00:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net