Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Linking to a reply< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Spinne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 19:07

Hi everybody

We can include in our replies links to other topics in which there can be something related to the topic being discussed but... I wonder if I can link to a reply inside one topic. Some topics are long and this would be better if possible than to link to a page of replies on this topic and say 'search for that user's reply on the following date'.

Does anybody know if this kind of link can be done and, if the answer is yes, how can we get the URL of a certain topic?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 20:33

Yes, it can be done, but the way of doing it is a little long winded.

Let's take our guidelines topic as an example. The URL for that is http://tubular.net/forums....;t=5610

Now, let's say you want to link to my post with is towards the end of that topic (but not the very last one). What you then need to do is hover your cursor over the 'quote' button (assuming that your browser displays the URL of a link if you hover over it). Don't click it and copy the link from there, but rather, just take note of the number right at the end of the URL. You'll see in that particular case, the URL ends in p=57914 - that's the number you want. Get rid of the p= and replace it with ;&#entry then put the whole lot onto the end of the URL for the topic.

We now have:
http://tubular.net/forums....ry57914

I think that does what you were wanting to do. Remember that if the topic is several pages long, you'll need not just the post number (which is what that p= number is) but also the URL for the page that the post is on, not just the plain URL for the topic. The page is actually indicated by a number too, so that in the URL, after the t= portion, there'll be a st= portion too. That's the page number, and they go in multiples of 20 - st=0 is page one (you can leave that off), st=20 page two, st=40 is page three, st=60 is page four and so on. You need to put the post number after that page number.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 04 2005, 08:39

Thanks Korgscrew, that was just what I wanted to do ;)
Profile PM 
2 replies since Dec. 02 2005, 19:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net