Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade tour in 2006< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:33

According to Hungary's Népszabadság Online, Mike will be touring Europe with Light + Shade in 2006. This conflicts with other information that we've received, which suggests that he doesn't plan to tour with Light + Shade.

A translation of the article follows in the next post (those of you reading this on the front page can see it by clicking here).

(Thanks, EeToN)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:33

Light & Shade - about Mike Oldfield's new album

Népszabadság Online, Melinda Serf?z?, 10/04/2005 (translated by EeToN)

"I'm not an average musician. I'm a technician who translates his ideas to the language of music" says Mike Oldfield, who after three years has just released. And it's a double album at that, with the title Light & Shade.

During the past two years Oldfield actually hasn't been working on music, or rather, it wasn't music in its usual form. He made two computer games, in which the music is the essence. Even some fan clubs have developed around these games, which are available on his homepage. That's no small wonder, because it's quite an original game where Mike Oldfield himself sometimes joins in.

Besides, he didn't give up "real" music: the remixed version of his first album called Tubular Bells came out in 2003, and recently Light & Shade appeared in the shops. "Everything, newspapers, television, all the areas of life specialize in something, focus on an important area. I think that in 2005 it has to be like that, so I also wanted to do similar, I wanted to show the two sides of my musical world" said Mike in the phone interview given to our newspaper.

And indeed, the CD called Light is light, bright, almost appropiate for meditation but at the very least a good chill-out CD, ideal background music for weekend rest, lounging around or friendly discussions. On the flipside, Shade thrills; there's the war, all the trouble of helplessness, the dark side of love in the music - and the focus tends towards electronic dance music. We have to be careful with the categories, however, because Mike Oldfield doesn't like classifying his music into any genres. "This is simply my music, I don't like to categorize it. I just sit down alone at home and write down the music that comes out from me. For instance, these two albums aren't a sequence of tracks, rather a round integrated composition, as if it's a single track" he explains.

There are more novel things about the album. On one hand, you can find four tracks in U-MYX format on it, that means that the fans can remix them in their own course. They can then send the remixes back to Mike Oldfield who will give prizes for the best ones. On the other hand, although he hasn't been too enthusiastic about giving concerts lately, he will embark on a tour with the new album despite this. It's not yet confirmed exactly where and when he will tour but he will give concerts in a number of cities in Europe in 2006.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 09:28

That's some nice news,re:2006 tour (if it materialises of course) Assuming it does,wonder how the programme will go as far as re-creating L+S with vocoloid & other programmed effects to produce a "crowd pleasing" concert.

Perhaps there will be some back catalogue material,along with a few tracks from the new album,just trying to guess here and thinking how it would all blend in.At the end of the day,anything played live would be fantastic - can't beat the atmosphere ect.

Anyway,the mere thought of it all has cheered up a dull monday.

:)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 10:53

what exactly does this mean? --->  he will embark on a tour with the new album despite this.

anyway.. lovely news if its true!  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:15

It means that even though he doesn't seem to like touring much, he's going to go on tour anyway.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:27

Maybe it is very easy for him now. He doesn't even have to go himself. All he has to do is send a laptop computer loaded with Fruity Loops and the other midi/sequencer/patches, etc to be set on the stage and plugged into the speakers.

Then the instruments and vocalists will be as "live" as they were in the studio, and Mike can sit at home and relax.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:53

Perhaps he could broadcast live via his webcam. Imagine how much more entertaining the music would be if tracks like Romance were accompanied by images of Mike gurning into the lens.

I would actually suggest that the best way to take heavily sequenced electronic music on tour is to actually not treat it as a live musical performance so much as a general 'experience', perhaps putting the focus on visuals and incorporating dance and other more visual performance elements. There is of course still plenty of scope in that kind of format for live musical performances (live guitars, bass, piano, whatever), just I think that trying to treat it like a normal rock concert with the focus on the band, when it's not music that was written with a band in mind, is not the best way to go about things. The other way is of course to adapt the music so it does work in the more traditional rock concert context, but judging by Mike's performances of the past 12 years, he's not going to do that - he'll want it to be just like the album (and really, he's been aiming for that since long before Tubular Bells II - he was already taking Fairlights on tour in the 80s to get his concerts sounding closer to the albums).
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:07

:D  this is gooood news!! Even if the concert will be in spain i will take my food money and spend it on the tour.
I can see it for me. Maybe hes gonna to do a "one mans show"  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:44

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 10 2005, 14:27)
Maybe it is very easy for him now. He doesn't even have to go himself. All he has to do is send a laptop computer loaded with Fruity Loops and the other midi/sequencer/patches, etc to be set on the stage and plugged into the speakers.

Then the instruments and vocalists will be as "live" as they were in the studio, and Mike can sit at home and relax.

When I saw Jon Anderson last year here,it was only Jon,some acoustic guitars and pre-programmed stuff + some moving images as the backdrop.

Maybe Mike can create another type of live concert,much like an experience than the usual stuff. Kraftwerk live is the 4 members and their laptops + visual images,each tune has got their pack of images.And it does work!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:52

hmmm strange tati.. I was thinking about jon too  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:24

Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 10 2005, 19:07)
Maybe hes gonna to do a "one mans show"

I hope that's not the crowd you're referring to.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 18:27

no i dont! i hope for concert like he did 1999  ;) then and now tour

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 19:09

What about a concert that mix Mike's music(some L+S tunes + some classics he feels confortable to play) and MusicVR?

I'd love to see something like that!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
don_alfonso Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 19:49

Dear Friends... i just talk with some journalist friends here in Portugal who made some phone interviews with Mike and, he´s seems to be very happy with the result of L+S álbum. He´s now working his mind to the next album but, before that... his planning in fact to put his foot on the road again.

Time to time the guitar´s need to catch some fresh air!! :) i´ll be working on new information about that possible tour very soon.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 22:19

muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!
kiss from me!!

im so exited that i almost cant belive it. My dream can be true and  its possible to see mike play in real.
I hope he will do Light + shade songs, maybe nightshade, surfing, tears from an angel, first steps, ringscape. And then i wish for tres luas song and thou art in heaven (art in heaven style solo) and far above the clouds, man in the rain (vocaloid?) he he.. And he will of course play tubular bells theme i hope! Ommadawn is my big wish! + crystal clear from tsode :)
Thank you mike! I almost cant beleive this! You are my big wish to see live and this will be the big moment in my life. I'll stop the tears untill i see the tour list! Even if the concert would be in japan i would take my shoes and walk all the way from norway. For this i play Crystal clear now. Thank you!!!!  :zzz:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 08:22

I'll be excited when the rumour becomes real.

Maybe a tour in summer 2006...some dates in july would be perfect for me,since I'm going to be on my vacation period(so I can travel to Europe) and it would fit well as a wonderful 25th birthday present...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
christ Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 15:29

michael gordon should come to america
i know he will not come to america

but still, he should come to america
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 06:03

Quote (don_alfonso @ Oct. 10 2005, 19:49)
Dear Friends... i just talk with some journalist friends here in Portugal who made some phone interviews with Mike and, he´s seems to be very happy with the result of L+S álbum. He´s now working his mind to the next album but, before that... his planning in fact to put his foot on the road again.

Time to time the guitar´s need to catch some fresh air!! :) i´ll be working on new information about that possible tour very soon.

Get those guitars on the road - yes please :D
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 21:08

Quote (christ @ Oct. 12 2005, 01:29)

...and stop by Australia on the way!  If not, I could be tempted to go and make a holiday of it.  Here's hoping...

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 21:39

Quote (Andrew H @ Oct. 14 2005, 22:08)
Quote (christ @ Oct. 12 2005, 01:29)

...and stop by Australia on the way!  If not, I could be tempted to go and make a holiday of it.  Here's hoping...

...and also in Brazil  ;)

When we've got an official confirmation,I'll do part to see Mike playing here,if virtually unknown artists in Brazil in the prog rock scene like Nektar and Ray Wilson played here,why not bring Mike?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
72 replies since Oct. 09 2005, 16:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net