Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade cover unveiled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 05:43

Yes, of course I'd buy it regardless of the cover. I'll keep it on my bookshelf, next to the copy of M.R. James's Ghost Stories.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 05:53

I can live with the cover if the music is ok but I am bit suspect of the use of software vocals....Mmmmmmmmm.What happened to the Mike who uses original, interesting female vocalists? I have the feeling it may sound artificial and too polished though I might be wrong.

I have one of the cover proofs for discovery with alternative type face that was given to me by Janet Arnold in 1985 when she run the official Mike Oldfield fan club.She knew him personaly.I suppose its worth something now but its only a bit of card with accetate overlay for the lettering and the number of the proof in tipex written in the top corner.

Mike has aged as we all do/will as he is 52 and not 31 when he made Discovery. I don't think drugs, smoking and drinking have helped much.Jean Michel Jarre on the other hand is 57 soon and he looks in his 30's.I suppose its in the genes.
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 05:58

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 26 2005, 18:21)
Well I was tempted to walk out of the store empty haned when I saw the cover of Voyager. :D

Well, I never bought Karen Ramirez' "Distant dreams" because it had the ugliest sleeve I have EVER seen (and that's a major achievement especially if one lives in Poland). I just couldn't force myself... And I think I wouldn't buy the Family Man single. :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 07:27

Quote (ian @ Aug. 27 2005, 11:53)
I have one of the cover proofs for discovery with alternative type face that was given to me by Janet Arnold in 1985 when she run the official Mike Oldfield fan club.She knew him personaly.I suppose its worth something now but its only a bit of card with accetate overlay for the lettering and the number of the proof in tipex written in the top corner.

Mmm, now I'm curious... is it possible you could upload this alternative cover of Discovery? :) Or have you already done this? I vaguely remember a similar discussion about this.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 07:57

I did post it some time ago but I can't remember which forum.It will be there somewhere.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 09:54

Jarre is into Botox™. Mike nope.
I prefer the wrinkles of Mike than the fake face of Jarre.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 12:18

Botox has the problem that it makes the user's face look puffed up and artificial (see recent pictures of David Bowie, for instance). I'm very glad Mike hasn't resorted to such things.
Profile PM WEB 
MaXiMo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 08:59

Uff.. I don't like that cover, too poor..!! I think I could do a better cover... and what the hell is that ring doing?? If we have a side called "Light" and other "Shadow", we can imagine a lot of covers which would be better!!! In spite of that, this is just the cover, we have to wait to see what the album includes..

--------------
If you want to be a good person, you must be like me.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 09:42

Quote (MaXiMo @ Aug. 28 2005, 14:59)
Uff.. I don't like that cover, too poor..!! I think I could do a better cover...

Go ahead then.
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 04:43

Welcome Everyone!
This is my first post, so I just wanted to say "hello" to "Oldfield's Community", this e-place is really great!

Personally, I just cant't wait to hear L&S. I Know I would Love It! MO has never dissapointed me, and I belive He never Will! And I Think that cover is OK. I have heard 2 new tunes, and - as always - I'm Impressed! Every week I have opportunity to hear something from L&S (On Plish Radio 3, on MiniMax), but i don't want to... I want this album to stay unknown for me, so when I hear that MO tune is beginning, I turn the sonud Down. I just want It to br "Terra Incognita", till I'll be able to hear everything.... Let's be Happy! After all, We can fell this "Magic Touch" - (hearing for the first time) - only once in few yeras!
Greetings from the Moon!    :)
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 04:46

I think the worst cover by far is The Millenium bell.It just looks so tacky.Mike has a great talent but he also has a very cheesy side.

I think the ring is the thing that spoils the cover, it wouldn't have been too bad otherwise.Lets hope the music is good.I think he still has it in him.I would rather hear him 100% on his music than messing around with VR games.I think he has got it out of his system.

Just for the record, my fav covers are Ommadawn and Amarok.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 05:08

Greatest Covers?

In My opinion, "TSODE" and "Crises". These two are very imaginative, I adore this way of "symbolic thinking"....
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 07:51

Welcome!!
Man From The Moon.
Profile PM 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 07:52

Direct from Universal Germany:

Details of the Cover were changed.
http://www.oldfield.de/2005....ung.php

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 08:44

Curving tubes, from the man who made Tubular Bells. How creative!

(That said, it is an improvement over the earlier one).
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 13:42

Thanks James!

Now I see, that this cover is much more complicated than I thought, when I saw only a small image of it. This "unreal" ring shape (in mathemathics, this kind of objects are called "impossible figures"), the sea, gold-sunset colours, and face painted on the bars.... I looks really good for me... It's defenetly not just the photo of the face!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 16:04

Is it impossible for Mike not to have some reference to TB on any of his releases these days?
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 16:42

The picture of his face looks very like the photo from 1983/4 where he  is stood next to a punch bag holding a roll-up.He always did strange, inappropriate phtos that were nothing to do with his music or personality.Its like he doesn't quite know what image to project.He is a bit strange sometimes but so am I........... ;)
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 17:33

why not more covers like guitars, mike and guitar..  :) that's good cover

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 19:23

What I understood(with my basic german) from mikeoldfield.de page regarding the album cover,has got a 3D effect :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
131 replies since Aug. 21 2005, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net