Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade cover unveiled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 21:17

amazing design!!! i love the cd's colours. And the dark front is beautiful!!!  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 06:46

Thanks Tati!

Yes! they used that lake photo!! :D And I also love the cd prints! The "blue" photo of Mike is better than the other one imho.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 15:31

Orange & blue.

Quite unusuall colours.

Al Di Meola has an album called Orange & Blue.
Besides that - I dont remember seeing those colours together.

These colours are pointing towards greatness.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 19:17

Orange and blue are complimentary colors - directly across from each other on the color wheel.  Many people feel colors are associated with certain feelings and emotions and that they convery moods automatically.  Blue = peace, tranquility.  Orange = stimulation, energy.  Perfect color choices from the concept of this album.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 13:16

Unlike many people here I quite like the cover.

Mike's face and the grid are mixed together, so someone who said that he was behind a grid should wear glasses.

If you look at the picture with a certain distance, you will see a much nicer picture than if you look too closely.

Just my 3 cents.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 13:38

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 24 2005, 16:58)
Whoa! Please... relax! Relax!!! :/

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say Mike is ugly! What I'm trying to say is that it is probably not so wise to put his face so close, completely filling the cover. Just from a marketing point of view, I don't think it will sell so well in this way. Like I said before I like the pictures on his website better. That would have been my choice.

And believe me: I'm one serious protestor when it comes to plastic surgeon. I love the mother nature way.

1) The cover will NEVER affect the sales. They're already low enough.

2) No one talked about surgery lol
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 13:46

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 26 2005, 15:28)
The actual printed cover is bound to look worse/smaller/more lo-res than a high-res computer scan. This is the CD era.

With CD's passing away, the question of cover art becomes less important.

False.

Your computer screen shows only 72 dots per inch (maybe a little bit more on a flat LCD screen). A printed cover will show a lot more than that.

1 inch on a photograph for example (300 dpi), equals 4 inches on a computer screen (72 dpi).

So a full-screen picture might as well be more lo-res than a printed CD cover.

Just something you had to know before saying such crap  ;)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 20:37

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 11 2005, 13:16)
Mike's face and the grid are mixed together, so someone who said that he was behind a grid should wear glasses.

That was before the higher resolution version was available. It is quite a clever piece of artwork but still a little 'in your face'.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 06:50

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 11 2005, 20:37)
Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 11 2005, 13:16)

That was before the higher resolution version was available. It is quite a clever piece of artwork but still a little 'in your face'.

Ok, so I'm sorry.

The cover I had seen when I posted my message was this one:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000B7HY9M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But even with that one, it's easy to see that Mike's face is on the grid, not behind:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000B7HY9M.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 17:21

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 10 2005, 19:17)
Blue = peace, tranquility.  Orange = stimulation, energy.  Perfect color choices from the concept of this album.

Interestingly, I think the feelings-and-colours association is the other way around. After all, orange = sun = light = peace, and blue = night = shade = unsettlement.

But actually, I had thought of that orange/blue dichotomy a long time ago, when I "designed" the imaginary LP of my own Musics For Highways, and used orange on side A (the day half) and purpleish blue on side B (the night half). Unfortunately, I don't think I have the pics anymore so I can't PROVE that to ya, and I'll sound like some bastard imposter trying to steal Mike's thunder.

Boy, I am conceited.

Like I said somewhere else, the "lake" picture with the contradictory night reflecting the day is quite brilliant. If it were used as the actual cover, it would quite possibly be the greatest Mike Oldfield cover of all time.

PS: So that "tube" thing is actually official? I thought it was a Photoshop joke!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 18:36

I am interested in why the ring is there. It is tubular. The tubular Bell is back. I thought that Millennium Bell was a way of closing that door on the past;and on TBIII Far Above the Clouds ~ the man journeying up the mountainside etc - I'm sure I remember an interview where Mike said something like that, about time moving on, looking to the future more.

The fact the symbol is now circular and not triangular intrigues me. I wonder, another potential ground breaking piece of music?

My cat, bless him, has just hopped up onto the desk, caught a Daddylonglegs and crunched it in front of me. Yuck. (I digress)  :/

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 23:38

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 12 2005, 17:21)
Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 10 2005, 19:17)
Blue = peace, tranquility.  Orange = stimulation, energy.  Perfect color choices from the concept of this album.

Interestingly, I think the feelings-and-colours association is the other way around. After all, orange = sun = light = peace, and blue = night = shade = unsettlement.

Like I said somewhere else, the "lake" picture with the contradictory night reflecting the day is quite brilliant. If it were used as the actual cover, it would quite possibly be the greatest Mike Oldfield cover of all time.

Yes the orange represents the Light (peacefull) and the blue represents the Shade (dark, moody), it says that on the cds, although they could just as easilly be interpreted the other way around. Notice also these covers still have the ring rather than the tubes so they might be slightly different now.

Well he has used the lake picture now Musty, all you have to do is turn the cover around.

@Jeremy, the original picture that was released had a ring (like you wear on your finger) in the middle rather than the two tubes. It was obviously still Mike IN the grid rather then BEHIND the grid but was smaller and lower quality and harder to see. If you go to the first link (Universal Spain) in the first post of this thread you will see it.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
131 replies since Aug. 21 2005, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net