Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade cover unveiled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ostach Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 19:34

I wonder how long someone was thinking with what replace the ring on the cover?  :/

--------------
I stay
I pray
See you in heaven one day...
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 20:39

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 29 2005, 16:04)
Is it impossible for Mike not to have some reference to TB on any of his releases these days?

I don't see why he shouldn't.  It's almost like his trademark, or logo and is what we, as fans, identify him with.  It's justified for the same reason that this website is called "tubular.net" and this forum is called "tubularboard".  For that matter, many of the members of this forum have "tubular" in  their username.  As I type this I look up in the left hand corner of the site and what do I see?  Tubular Bells.  So why shouldn't  Mike include it in everything he does?  We do.

I love the album cover and did so from the first time I saw it.  I think it's striking.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 21:48

Well after seeing the cover in higher resolution and apparantly revised a little, it is much better than I first thought, with his face not behind a grid, but actually IS the grid and the ocean in the background. Also I had only connected the ring to LOTR before but now I see it is a reference to Tubular Bells. It seems to be a well thought out cover, I don't think I will bother replacing it with something else now, but it still does make Mike look somewhat unattractive and menacing. If he is hiding because he thinks he is getting old then this is not the way to go about it. That actual photo is a very nice photo of him, a little too much makeup but certainly the best photo out of the recent promotional photos of him. Still it does not make sense to include a distorted photo of himself, show yourself or don't. The Guitars album cover has to be his best, even though his face is not showing, it is natural and very fitting. Voyager is a bit silly like he is playing dress ups, Earth Moving a little scary, like he is drowning, Discovery is less invasive than this new one, and Amarok and Ommadawn are perfectly appropriate. Is it just a coincidence that he has exposed himself the most on the covers of the two albums where he has exposed himself the most muscially? As for cover artwork, I think my favourite is Platinum.

Tracy.

P.S.-Like my new avatar? it shows the oil painting my brother did for my 40th birthday, this photo was taken on August 27.

P.S.S.-Welcome to the site Man From The Moon, I hope to see much more of you.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 22:01

On the German site with the revised cover (which is a bit better but I still don't like it) are the lyrics: "Surfing, I´m surfing, I am hooked and I am searching, like fallen right into the net." Are these the lyrics of the new single "Surfing"?
:O

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 05:35

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Aug. 30 2005, 03:39)
Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 29 2005, 16:04)
Is it impossible for Mike not to have some reference to TB on any of his releases these days?

I don't see why he shouldn't.  It's almost like his trademark, or logo and is what we, as fans, identify him with.

Because it strenghtens his reputation as "the tubular bells guy".  The fans know there's a lot more to his music than just TB, but the general perception seems to be that he's only ever done one good thing, Tubular Bells, and he's continously trying to ride on it's success. I'd rather not see him give the critics ammunition by putting an element like that onto a cover of his newest album.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 07:11

The Tubular ring only just boosts up the theory Mike Oldfield = Tubular Bells with a good sublimininal message.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 08:01

Quote (timshen @ Aug. 29 2005, 22:01)
"Surfing, I´m surfing, I am hooked and I am searching, like fallen right into the net." Are these the lyrics of the new single "Surfing"?
:O

Yes.

From
http://www.oldfield-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=1362&boardid=68

Surfing [ TRACK 04 of Shade 5:37 ]

The Song Surfing is one of the slower pieces of this CD, which even contains Lyrics again. As in all of his Songs, he used his Vocaloid software again, but this time with a lot of perfection.
Mr. Oldfield used an overlay of approximately five voices which are a bit shifted in time and different in their heights, which leads to a mysterious and somewhat marvellous harmony.
Who thinks Surfing is related to beach sports, as I have read in several forums, will be bitterly disappointed.
It´s related to the Internet, as far as I could hear:
"Surfing, I'm surfing, I’m hooked and I am searching, like fallen right into the net.
Morning and evening I’m flying and dreaming, I can't keep it out of my head.".
The bass line is not importunate and has a pleasant speed. Although I haven’t heard any of his older albums for a long time, the voices and the height of them immediately reminds me of CRISES, best compared with the part: "The watcher and the Tower...".
After 3 minutes several Synthesizer melodies and effects start to play which sounds like some of Jean Michell Jarres´s Oxigene excerpts, but don’t nail me on that.
Shortly afterwards Mikes typical distorted, crying guitar appears.
After one minute and 20 seconds this insert ends and the Vocals continue until this song ends with Mike Oldfield´s guitar. It is a pleasure to hear many beautiful and marvellous sound effects during this Vocal song.

Immediately after my first listening, I fell in love with the song! For now it´s my absolute “Highlight” as well as Nightshade and Resolution, on which I will comment later to them.

This song should definitely be published as a single

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 08:21

Very clever artwork, I can't say it's one of my favourite album covers though.......

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 12:47

:/ Hi there  I'm going to try to tell you something about this cover picture but perhaps i'm dreaming ...Tell me what you're thinking about this idea..
What I understood(with my basic german) from mikeoldfield.de page regarding the album cover,has got a 3D effect  

I'm ok with this ....if you turn the image towards the right ..You can see the top of the Tubular Bells to the place of its ears and of his neck And the tube continues on his cheek...Can you see it ?? Or am I crazy?  :/
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 15:21

:/ ???   Something like that ??here......Of course in fuzzy.  Or then this is subliminal?  ... :/  Sorry i must be dreaming.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 02:40

I don't think so

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 09:04

You MUST be dreaming Tubular Tos! Lol! :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 10:02

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Aug. 30 2005, 17:47)
Can you see it ?? Or am I crazy?  :/

Yeah completely loony I'm afraid  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:49

Thanks so much my friends. I awaited so much changes of  this new album  that i imagine all and anything.Excuse me.I  would have loved that Mike creates again an album like Five Miles Out or Crises.Remember the good time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/tubulartos_music.htm
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 15:18

I have downloaded the demo of Vocaloid and did you know it is Miriam Stockley's voice, who sang on the Millenium Bell?

I have played around with it but it is very fiddley to get to grips with.You can download it here http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=802
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 15:37

So vocaloid isn't entirely virtual then, its based on somebody's voice, ie Miriam Stockley's? Is that right? I did think those vocal parts on Angelique sounded strangely familiar.
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 09:55

Im currently selling Vocaloid Miriam(Original Genuine copy box manual key registration as New)It's unused due to time restraints and therefore 100% unregistered.Its an excellent cutting edge product that Zero G and Yamaha have invested lots of time and wonga in getting it to this stage it's not the finished product so expect it to get even greater.

Any interested parties should contact me privately.
Price,half the retail sum I paid plus shipping.More info on request.

Ok no more sales talk on  this fab forum.Hope no one has been offended by this post
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 15:23

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Aug. 30 2005, 02:39)
[The Tubular Bell] It's almost like his trademark, or logo and is what we, as fans, identify him with.

Sure. In fact, soon he will erase his name and will request to be named just with the Tubular Bell logo or just AFKAMO*

-- Wayfarer ;) :p

* Artist Formerly Known As Mike Oldfield

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 18:10

The UK promo of Light + Shade @ Oldfield.de:

http://www.oldfield.de/uploaded_images/oldfieldpromoneu-702443.JPG

http://www.oldfield.de/uploaded_images/oldfieldpromoneu074-772321.jpg

http://www.oldfield.de/uploade....921.JPG

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 20:02

Wow Tati, you are always right on the ball aren't you, thanks for those. People were right about that reflecetd water scene being used, and the colours on the 'Light' cd are almost identical to the colours Navaira chose for his album design.

Cheers,
Tracy.

--------------
Profile PM 
131 replies since Aug. 21 2005, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net