Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade cover unveiled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 17:32

The cover image for Light + Shade can now be seen at the website of Universal Spain.

According to zm.nu, the first single from the album will be 'Surfing'.

Update 29/8/05 - an updated, final version of the cover can now been seen in high resolution at oldfield.de, courtesy of Universal Germany, who also have a smaller version at mikeoldfield.de.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 17:54

Nice colours, but what's that ring doing over his face?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 18:11

Well I think it's Ok. Like anything new it takes a bit of getting used to. It puzzles me that it is Mike behind a kind of mask, not much light and shade there but then I suppose it is like a mesh so that would allow light to pass  through and create shade at the same time. Also its's a kind of screen, protection that sort of thing. And you still feel that, as with most of his photos from late 80's onwards, he is unwilling to let people see the real Mike. We should respect his privacy.

The only thing I'm not sure about are those highlights in the eyes.

Imagine the shelves in the record stores though, you'd certainly look twice if you came across that image amongst some bland covers. And that's the idea really.

So let's look forward to the music now we know about the cover... :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 18:29

If the cover IS the one pictured on Universal Spain, I think it will take some getting used to, personally speaking    :/ .  I can't help thinking it looks as if Mike is imprisioned behind that grid.  Why is "The One Ring" from Lord Of The Rings on Mike's face?   Has Gollum lost his preciousssss?  

I do like the image on the opening page, of Mike's official website, of the field and the pond   :) .
Still must'nt judge an CD by it's cover until I've heard the music, it's the music that matters.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 19:08

This cover reminds me of Discovery. In fact it's a typical Oldfield cover, the same "Mike's face distorted" idea can be found behind those of Ommadawn, Discovery, Earth Moving and Amarok. The close photo reminds me the cover of The Danish Collection, too.

I like it anyway, even though it could have been accomplished better IMHO. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 19:15

My first thoughts (and no doubt more will come), are that the large face represents a more confident mike. He's prepared to put himself right at the front of this album.

But it's not an album sleeve to leap off the shelves at your local record store., so i guess i have a different view to Bee. Given the cool packaging some albums have these days, it will not stand out of the crowd and make a casual passer by pick it up.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 19:33

Anyway, on the website  ToroAcu pointed to in another thread there is a slightly bigger picture.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 21:24

Very disappointing, I would have been happy with a beautiful abstract or scenic picture and I would have been happy with that photo of Mike which is the best one I have seen of him from his recent promotional shots, but to have a distorted photo of Mike, how boring.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 03:02

*agrees with Tubular Belle*

So his new designers have, in fact, delivered their first ugly sleeve. :/

Very disappointing...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 04:09

I think i'll get rid of the official cover when I buy the CD and use Brandon Bloom's alternative cover instead :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 04:20

OK I will now "eat my words" for saying the  official L&S album cover wasn't the one.True,it's not exactly the most graphic image ever to be seen on display(wasn't expecting to see a twilight meadow with fairies dancing all about).It just makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.Perhaps It'll seem different when seen in reality,so suppose must keep an open mind about it for the moment.

Wonder what the inlay will be like? might bring a totaly new effect when seen as a "whole".
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 04:47

Well, I must say I'm not a fan of the cover either. However, is isn't a disaster or anything. I'd much prefer a bad album cover to bad music.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 05:32

Bad photoshop's cover. Where is imagniation. Nevermind, it's not real problem. Do you think Incantation's cover is beautifull ? Nooo, very sadly cover but the music was great.

Since, TSODE, the Mike Oldfield's cover is very simple, minimalist like a chill out music.

I can show another cover of Ligth and Shade.
Ligth and Shade (cover proposition I)

Ligth and Shade (cover Proposition II)

Ligth and Shade (cover proposition III)

Ligth and Shade (Proposition IV)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:03

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 21 2005, 22:24)
Very disappointing, I would have been happy with a beautiful abstract or scenic picture and I would have been happy with that photo of Mike which is the best one I have seen of him from his recent promotional shots, but to have a distorted photo of Mike, how boring.

One more who totally agree with you.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:20

Quote (sarujuu @ Aug. 22 2005, 05:32)
Bad photoshop's cover. Where is imagniation. Nevermind, it's not real problem. Do you think Incantation's cover is beautifull ?

Heh, not really... it's... usable. But then, as I mentioned, it's a very rare thing for me to really like an Oldfield sleeve. With Incantations it's indifference, though; with Light + Shade it's an intense dislike. :/

Also, your links don't work.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:38

Quote (Navaira @ Aug. 22 2005, 06:20)
With Incantations it's indifference, though; with Light + Shade it's an intense dislike.

Gotta say it's the same here.  That's a bad album cover!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:39

Frankly its a mystery to me how thefinaldrop.com managed to come up with something that looks so amateur.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:57

I totally agree with Toby, it is an utter disgrace to photgraphy.

What happened to the happier Mike Oldfield? All he does now is grimace, thats why they put him behind wire mesh! lol

Seriously though, it's atrocious.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 08:23

well i hope bad cover = good music :)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 09:16

:)  ;)  Hi !!! Sorry my English is limited ...I'm French..And a great fan .. ;) Well.. I bet at the end this image won't be selected...It reminds me the cover pictures of Discovery and Amarok...( with something in front of his face).....or Earth Moving

well i hope bad cover = good music
OK with this....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/tubulartos_music.htm
Profile PM 
131 replies since Aug. 21 2005, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net