Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light + Shade cover unveiled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ostach Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 18:08

I wont be original here. Cover isn't the best or the worst cover ever... it's.... average. For me it looks like The Lord of The Rings: the two towers DVD cover :P if look on both covers from a distance you won't see the difference :P maybe it's nice marketing move... people buying MO cds instead of LOTR dvds.... ;)

wondering what will be inside... :cool:

--------------
I stay
I pray
See you in heaven one day...
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 19:54

Aha! So it's the ocean at sunset in the background with Mike's face being the grid. It may imply that while listening the album we see the world through Mike. :) And that image even reminds me of a photo taken in the Voyager era.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 20:16

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 22 2005, 19:22)
Leave the ring. Replace the background image with one of Gandalf confronting a balrog with his glowing staff. Light vs shade.

We can even add these "Lord of the Rings" -related songs (at least in title! ) to the album:

"Crime of Passion" (death of Deagol)
"Crystal Gazing"
"Far Country" (Into the West)
"Outcast" (Balrog battle)
"The Watchful Eye"
"Caveman" (A Wose situation)
"Great Plain"
"On Horseback"

Great stuff  hiawatha, :)

Is  Mike  Oldfield really Sauron????  Strange I don't think Tolkien mentions Mike  in Lord Of The Rings :laugh:.  

BTW have thought of some more LOTR  inspired song titles:-

"Prayer For Middle Earth"
"Clear Light" or "The Shining Ones" about Gandalf's glowing staff, or the phial of light from Earendil, (the brightest star so beloved  of the Elves), that Lady Galadriel gave to Frodo to use in the darkest of places.

"Capture" (Prisoners of The Orcs)
"Red Dawn" (Sunrise Over Mordor)
"No Man's Land" (a.k.a "The Dead Marshes")
"Tricks of The Light"  (about Gollum's "Tricksy Lightsesses" in The Dead Marshes).

I guess it's too late for these songs to appear on Light and Shade, maybe Mike's next album will be called "The Songs Of Middle Earth"
  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 22:07

Quote (timshen @ Aug. 22 2005, 04:09)
I think i'll get rid of the official cover when I buy the CD and use Brandon Bloom's alternative cover instead :-)

Great idea, I thought of doing that with ToruAcus beautiful image of the Sun coming up from behind the Earth which can be seen on his website. I haven't seen Brandons version, where can I find that?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 22:52

To give credit where credit's due, that image was by Wayfarer, not ToroAcu.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 01:43

Oops, and I've mentioned it a few times too, sorry about that Wayfarer, I just assumed because it was on ToroAcus website that it was his. Thanks Korgscrew.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 01:48

at first sight i didn't like the cover in low quality, but now in high resolution it reminds me the magic eye's sterogram pictures. mike's "fence" hiding the sea is an interesting image. and the ring, more than of lord of the rings, makes me think about the rings in tr3s lunas, which is good news if that means he doesn't consider mvr just like a break from his work. i'd love he carried on building worlds there some day.

now that the cover is officially unveiled, i'm looking forward to the first single and more and more curious about 'quicksilver', 'tears of an angel', 'romance' and 'ringscape'.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 05:34

Hmm, with the sunset over the water image in the background, it is an interesting idea for the cover, but perhaps not executed nearly as well as it could have been. I agree with lots of others, that look of Mike freaks me out, and that's not what I look for in an album cover.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 10:13

(CRAP!;)

Stop mincing your word and get to the point bugular tell LOL!!!!!!!.

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 11:34

The cover reminds me of the cover of Gary Numan's 1979 single Complex, especially the eyes. Both also look quite crappy. The idea isn't bad, but the realisation is, the design is too complex, too restless. If the cover would be just an element on a larger picture and the other parts would be simpler, it would look quite fine.

I actually quite like the O-logo as an idea, but the golden colouring makes it look like the one ring.

Overall, I do think the cover should be kind of a dual image, illusitrating the the name and the dual nature of the album. For instance, this current image and a negative of this image side-by-side on a black backround.

And in the end, accroding to MikeOldfield.com, "the proposed artwork for the album is not finished...", so maybe there's hope still.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 11:50

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 22 2005, 20:16)
"Clear Light" or "The Shining Ones" about Gandalf's glowing staff, or the phial of light from Earendil, (the brightest star so beloved  of the Elves), that Lady Galadriel gave to Frodo to use in the darkest of places.

"In the Pool" - either Galadriel's mirror, or the kraken outside of Moria.

"Froggy Went a Courting" - Gollum is looking for love.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 17:35

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 23 2005, 16:50)

BRILLIANT hiawatha :laugh:  :) .   Moonchildhippy in fits of hysterical laughter :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
willy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 11:53

Poor Mike. Seems his so-called "fans" firstly don't like the name 'Quicksilver'. Then they don't like the name 'Light and Shade'. Then all they do is criticise the cover. Do any of you destructive critics actually like anything to do with Mike Oldfield? You seem to want him to fail at every turn.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 12:19

Huh? I did a poll on the album name, and it seems that "Light and Shade" is well-liked.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 12:20

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 23 2005, 17:35)
Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 23 2005, 16:50)

BRILLIANT hiawatha :laugh:  :) .   Moonchildhippy in fits of hysterical laughter :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .

Here's another "Lord of the Rings" track for you, Moonchildhippy: "The Deep Deep Sound" (the Balrog wakes up after the actions of the Foolofatook)

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 12:39

I'm really dissapointed.... bad cover.

The problem is that Mike's face has been pushed to much in the cover, giving him a "fat face". And this really worked with "Discovery", but it doesn't work here because of the light background and the fact that Mike is not young and (sorry to say) not really that handsome anymore.

(looking at the "Discovery" cover now... Mike's face is not that close compared to "Light and Shade".)

Personally I would have been much happier if they used on of those photos on Mike's website, the "standing" poses. OR they could have used the one on the index page, where Mike is looking at you. Such images will attract potential customers in the record stores. It really "grabs" people so to speak.

And I'm also with moonchildhippy: the index picture with the field and the pond is my nr. 1 choice for the Light and Shade cover.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 13:02

Personally I don't think the Discovery cover is to inspiring either but at least the effect there is quite subtle. There is something horribly in your face (no pun intended) about this new image. Its anything other than chilled out looking which seems ironic, but then again Mike looks less than chilled out in most photo's these days.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 13:17

Which is better or worse? The "Light and Shade" cover?

Or

this?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 13:35

Hmm...its a close one. Its a Trevor Key photo isn't? But not one of his better one's. Check out Peter Gabriel's So for an excellent Trevor Key portrait. There are a lot of guff album covers out there, you don't have to look far to find one. However in the case of Light and Shade its strange that the finaldrop.com would churn out something so seemingly amateur and generally naff looking when compared to their otherwise really rather good and professional portfolio
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 16:42

Disagree Disagree Disagree!!!!

Blue Dolphin how CAN you say " Mike is not so young and (sorry to say) not that handsome anymore."? That's outrageous. Youth is not the only age to have beauty. I know I am not alone in thinking Mike is just as attractive as he was years ago, more so even.

All faces are interesting, they have a story to tell. True beauty comes from within. I'm not into all these 'plastic looking people' that have no character and are completely self obsessed.

I do agree that some of the standing poses on the website are good, but there will be good reasons for having chosen the image they have. (Which we don't actually know yet)

Let's just wait and see the new cover when it arrives, all this speculation is a waste of good listening time!!!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
131 replies since Aug. 21 2005, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net