Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 06:09

I've been experimenting with The GIMP, and I've ended with this:

Click to enlarge image
Click to enlarge image
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 08:35

What is THE GIMP? That looks like human hair! Unusual.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 09:39

On my screen, it looks like a ring of hair. Is this the intent? Do I need to get it enlarged some?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 15:42

Nice concept, though it has more light than shade ;)

Have you seen my desings?

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 16:42

The font effect of the album title looks a bit bad, and I'd rather have both the artist and album name in the same font, but other than that I think it's a very, very good-looking cover.
Profile PM WEB 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 04:46

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 01 2005, 14:35)
What is THE GIMP?

"The GIMP" stands for "The GNU Image Manipulation Program", and GNU is a kind of license for free and open source sofwtare, so it's a free program to manipulate images, very similar to Photoshop (see here). These months I've been gathering and trying some nice free software, like GIMP, Blender, Wings3D, and others. I must admit that I used pirated software, but I don't want to do it any more.

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 01 2005, 15:39)
it looks like a ring of hair. Is this the intent?

Well, it really looks like my bath after I have a shower (am I going bald? Brrrhh....! ), but no, that wasn't my intent. If you invert the colors you'll get something similar to a ring of fire; I wanted to do the opposite, bright light in the center and some kind of dark energy sorrounding and mixing with it. Well, the final result isn't as good as I would like; as I said it was an experiment. I had anoter idea, but it would involve many time with a 3D program, textures, final retouching, ..., and I didn't have the time, so I thought I could make some quick experiments with 2D, cause I never did something 2D from scratch. So I started with an initial idea, and I polished it while I was trying things.

Quote (Sysiyo @ Sep. 01 2005, 22:42)
The font effect of the album title looks a bit bad

Yeah, I added it in the last moment, and I'm not very happy with it. Maybe I could have put bigger letters inverting the image, but... bah!

Great images, Wayfarer! Specially the first one; if I were Mike I would put it in the album for sure! The second one's concept is similar to one of my first ideas, which I thought was a little evident, but you've done it very well. You say you've used "Apophysis"... should I try it?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 22:14

Thanks for explaining that Trinidad.

@Wayfarer, When I first saw these designs I thought they belonged to ToruAcu so I may have credited him for them somewhere for which I apologise. I am using the 'jellyfish eye' as my pc screen wallpaper, I love it, so unique. And I think the second one, although rather obvious, is very well suited for the album cover. Beautiful work.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 01 2005, 06:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net