Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light and Shade, Are we listenng to the same album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 18:17

I finally received my copy of Lght and Shade this week - well over a month after everyone else.  I had been reading the reviews and comments, many of whch were negative and some times even cruel.  Based on what people were saying, I was expecting to be disappointed and was sure I would not like it.

To everyone who doesn't like this album, I can't imagine why. Sure, there are a few songs that I will skip over, but that is the case on almost any album I listen to, regardless of the artist.

This is some of the most powerful, moving and emotional work he's done in a long time.  And unlike many of you, I love the vocals.  

I still haven't had quite enough time to fully digest it all but what I've heard so far is outstanding.  Bravo, Mike.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 18:29

Indeed!  :)

Light and Shade IS a good album, over-scrutiny and focusing on negatives has meant that the overall view of L+S is that it is a dissapointment, which it isn't! (imo)

Roll on good times, I love this album   :)   :)   :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 18:53

Interesting to read your comments! As you know, I received it a long time after most people, too, and my reaction was similar to yours (think they're in the "Hats off" topic). Now that I've been listening to it for several weeks, favorites have bubbled to the top, some of the warts and flaws have surfaced, and I know which ones I'd exclude if placing on one disc. But all in all, I think as a whole, it rocks!

I am with you on the vocals. The pieces I'm not liking as well have nothing to do with the involvement of Cantor or Vocaloid.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 20:43

Hey I've had the album since official release and I'm still evaluating...it took me years to evaluate some of Mike's stuff. Like most of his work, this is definitely better than it sounds first up. I have no review to post, but I do know many of the tracks are magic, and that much injustice has been done to it by cloth-eared nincompoops even on this site. Yes, it's electronic. Make of that what you like. The guitar work is his best for many years, I think. And I hear a new duet between acoustic guitar and piano/keyboard. It's an album that may mark a turning point. I think the next one will be different, but this album has a lot of Mike's soul in it, I suspect.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 22:38

Quote (Marky @ Nov. 11 2005, 20:43)
The guitar work is his best for many years, I think.

I meant to mention his guitar.  I agree.  His trademark guitar is enchanting.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2005, 04:10

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Nov. 12 2005, 00:17)
To everyone who doesn't like this album, I can't imagine why. Sure, there are a few songs that I will skip over, but that is the case on almost any album I listen to, regardless of the artist.

I agree completely.

As I have said in other post, too, I skip over parts on almost every CD, regardless the artist, and the CD's of Mike are no exception.

Light & Shade is a very good album, and I for one, am glad Mike has made it. He still 'has got it', although he now uses other means of transforming his musical ideas to CD.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 13 2005, 21:46

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Nov. 12 2005, 00:17)
this is some of the most powerful, moving and emotional work he's done in a long time.  And unlike many of you, I love the vocals.

Just like what i feel too  :D  This is the best album he have done since Tubular bells 3! Thats good! Hes very good to use vocals too, its just so magic magic magic!!!!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 18:36

Yes.
Its not the quantity- its the quality.
Parts of it arent great but mostly its very good
so it doesnt dissapoint me. :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 20:04

Tres lunas is just so close to be better. What i love with Tres lunas is the style and red line it have. To be free is the only vocal song, and i would not be sad if there was some more. The song "tres lunas" is something i hope mike will play live one day. That song just makes me dream away!
The only, and only reason Tres lunas is not better is "no mans land  reprise" The saxophone sound just kill it. Misty is a little boring beginning for this huge album. It should be something else.

Then "Light and shade" is better. This dobbel album gives us those huge songs like; Angelique, Tears from an angel, Surfing, lovely Night shade, Resolutions, First steps and sunset. Thats almost just  one album!!
So it dosen't dissapoint me either! It never has.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 22:43

Exactly my sentiments. I'm bemused by the onrush of negative comments, even more than there was for Tres Lunas.

For me, this album includes some real gems and sees some awesome guitar work from Mike. I'm not too keen on the light disc (only like Sunset on this, Angelique is runied by some saying it sounds like "bugger me" and that's all I can hear now). I love the Shade disk up to TOAA (love Ringscape but that's an extension of Tres Lunas form me - Firststeps feels very empty to me that's why I didn't mention it on the Light disk).

Well, i'm enjoying it anyway and look forward to Mike's next offering.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 11:30

I think for me the best track on light has to be "our father" some of the eastern european fellings that it has are remarkable, Played after " shadow on the wall" which was supposed to be about the repression of the people and from which the pope came from sets a good tone and makes you feel good that things have moved on from the early eighties. As a whole i think us europeans can be glad that the darker days have left us but, you never know whats round the corner and we may go from extreme left wing to extreme right wing. Just wait to see what happens if more people feel left out from society and take violent action as in France and maybe the reaction to that violance shall let in extremists and that movement moves throughout Europe.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 10:15

I abseloutly love this album, along with al the others, hes pushed boundaries, well done mike, i love it,
atm, my fav track has to be nightshade.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 10:50

Agree!! First it was Surfing... now it's NIGHTSHADE!!

I really impressed my friends with that one!  :cool:
Now they know Mike is not boring  :zzz:
but very cool  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 10:52

Quote (timshen @ Nov. 15 2005, 22:43)
Angelique is ruined by some saying it sounds like "bugger me" and that's all I can hear now).

How long before someone tampers with it and releases the "Vegetarian Angelique", with all burger-meat references removed.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Blind Faith Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 21:46

I agree with this view. It is not the album I would pick out to show off the genious of the man but it has its moments.

I find myself putting Blackbird on repeat...

...probably a question of mood

:cool:
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2005, 11:37

L+S is glamorous, as well as all his albums, all emotion, all
state of mind, for every day. With MO live 30 years and
all the time have a whale of a time.

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2005, 12:15

Quote (Korkesova @ Dec. 01 2005, 11:37)
L+S is glamorous

Its glam alright.
Hey what if Mike Did some glamRock with some killer clothes on. :p

Nice to see new members.
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2005, 16:15

Its component his complicated personality, his soul is not bed, is full hunger for good, i feel  of his musik, is no matter which clotters had.

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 09:19

Uh-oh, someone's been using automatic translators.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
18 replies since Nov. 11 2005, 18:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net