Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Let There Be Our Father, A TSODE style remix of "Our Father"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Markus K. Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 09:58

Hi!

Here's a quick remix of "Our Father". I used u-myx to extract everything but drums and vocals and then added drum loops based on a MIDI file of "Let There Be Light" that is sequenced by Allan Naeslund. So this would be something like Mike O. featuring Allan N. :D

http://www.kotiposti.net/markusk/oldfield/LetThereBeOurFather.mp3

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 10:21

That works really well! A great ambient track  :)

When I saw the title I thought 'what the heck!!??'

Congrats. Great mixing  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 11:18

Although this is not the actual song from the album, this is the most I've gotten to hear from Light and Shade, so thank you.  At least it gives me an idea of what I am to expect.  Although the melody is pleasant, my first reaction is that it seems a little repititious.  I usually expect many changes during the course of Mike's songs.  And of course, I have no way of giving you any kind of opinion of your remix as I have nothing to compare it to.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 11:24

I tried a much less ambitious thing myself - using U-myx to edit out all the aaah fotherrrrs which I find very irritating. But without them there isn't enough going on to sustain interest for more than a couple of minutes, and I think I have to say, as gently as I can, that I think your version (though obviously you've done a lot more) has the same problem. I don't think it can be helped: I don't think the basic material is good enough, sadly. The strongest part is the beginning (the 'Free the Birds' tune from Maestro), but that doesn't last very long.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 11:58

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 15 2005, 18:24)
...there isn't enough going on to sustain interest for more than a couple of minutes....
...I don't think it can be helped...

That track (the original) is described by many as repetitious which is indeed is. I didn't change the structure other than adding the fade in (a few more guitar tune repetitions more).

Basicly just the drums are different and the vocals removed.

I guess someone talented with ideas might be able to add some of his/her own to build some climaxes and create more variation. Or maybe it just should be edited shorter.

Anyone want to make a "radio edit"?  ;)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 13:22

Quote (Markus K. @ Oct. 15 2005, 16:58)
Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 15 2005, 18:24)
...there isn't enough going on to sustain interest for more than a couple of minutes....
...I don't think it can be helped...

Just to be clear - I meant that there isn't enough going on in Mike's original version when the vocals are dropped.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 14:04

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 15 2005, 20:22)
Just to be clear - I meant that there isn't enough going on in Mike's original version when the vocals are dropped.

Yes...that how I took it. So no offense meant and none taken.   :)

Here's the "radio edit":

http://www.kotiposti.net/markusk....dit.mp3

I'm having fun today... :p

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 27 2008, 03:43

I really like this, Markus. I used to find "Our Father" too simplistic, but I've recently started to appreciate it more. Your version is nicely soothing and atmospheric.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2008, 14:00

i likes it too, i agree that it is very samey, (the mike version!;) but the interesting thng is that once it is broken down on Umyx it becomes more interesting, the guitar and piano bits are very dreamy, the our fathers are pants, lots of potential with the samples, should have a go one day!  :)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 19:09

You can clearly hear in this mix that the bass he's playing is  actually a bass guitar - you can hear him plucking the strings. When the song was originally released, I was silly enough to think that the bass was synthetic because it was soooooooo simple. In this mix you can clearly hear that it's real. Bravo Markus! :cool:

Aside from all this, I've had my share of fun with the U-MYX thing some time ago, when L&S was released - I made a simplified version of Quicksilver, which I like even more than the original. If anyone wants to hear it, I may link it in here. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 04:37

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 08 2008, 00:09)
You can clearly hear in this mix that the bass he's playing is  actually a bass guitar - you can hear him plucking the strings. When the song was originally released, I was silly enough to think that the bass was synthetic because it was soooooooo simple. In this mix you can clearly hear that it's real. Bravo Markus! :cool:

Aside from all this, I've had my share of fun with the U-MYX thing some time ago, when L&S was released - I made a simplified version of Quicksilver, which I like even more than the original. If anyone wants to hear it, I may link it in here. ;)

Please upload your mix of Quicksilver Ugo,would love to hear it.I agree with you about the bass playing on Our Father as well.There`s some nice little discoveries in there when you strip that track down a little bit.Inspired idea from Markus as well to morph the track with Let There Be Light,great stuff.

I think out of all the four tracks I had a little go at on L&S,the one I was most pleased with was probably Our Father.I`ve uploaded it here if anyone`s interested.I only spent about 45 minutes or so fiddling about with it.But despite the limitations of that whole U-myx thing I was actualy quite pleased with the end result.I dare say it`s probably nothing more than vanity in a weird way,but I realy prefer this to the original.Given more time,and because I removed the drum track entirely a few times.I know there`s  a few added tweaks and alterations I would`ve made still outside of that software.I just listened to it for the first time in ages here,and I had an overwhelming desire to turn up the volume at around the 5:14 point...    :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 09:01

Here it is, at the link below. It's a little jumpy in a few places, but it's the software's (and my slow PC's) fault, not mine. ;)
It's a very simple mix (indeed its title, before I changed it, was "Ugo's easy mix"), where I didn't substantially alter what was already there; I just removed some parts. I got rid of the whole bassline which goes wobble-wobble-wobble (or wiggle-wiggle-wiggle, depending on how you hear it! :D), I muted the drums in some places, and where it says "Breakdown" I removed everything but the arpeggio, because otherwise, with the drums still playing underneath, it just didn't sound at all like a breakdown to me. :)

In short, it's just an attempt, which of course needs various adjustments to get better. However, I present it to you as it is, warts 'n' all.

Quicksilver (Ugo's simplified mix)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2008, 10:25

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 08 2008, 14:01)
Here it is, at the link below. It's a little jumpy in a few places, but it's the software's (and my slow PC's) fault, not mine. ;)
It's a very simple mix (indeed its title, before I changed it, was "Ugo's easy mix"), where I didn't substantially alter what was already there; I just removed some parts. I got rid of the whole bassline which goes wobble-wobble-wobble (or wiggle-wiggle-wiggle, depending on how you hear it! :D), I muted the drums in some places, and where it says "Breakdown" I removed everything but the arpeggio, because otherwise, with the drums still playing underneath, it just didn't sound at all like a breakdown to me. :)

In short, it's just an attempt, which of course needs various adjustments to get better. However, I present it to you as it is, warts 'n' all.

Quicksilver (Ugo's simplified mix)

Nice work Ugo.I kind of did some similar things as yourself when I had a little go at Quicksilver.Especially with the drum track coming in and out again,you know I wish Mike had kind of utilised that more himself on the actual album.Mike has always had this uncanny knack of "taking the rug beneath your feet" musicaly in the past.But for some reason or other he seems a little reluctant to do that on L&S.Strange though with that track I decided to keep the bass parts and remove a lot of the appregios in certain places.I still enjoyed your version though,cheers.     :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2008, 17:22

@ Dirk Star: yes, the drum part is what I mostly juggled with. I liked the idea of drums being there for the guitar solo but not for the very start of the piano part, so I made them come back in at the second half of the so-called "Piano Verse"; then I removed the piano for the second repetition of the "Refrain" because I fancied a change of sonic ambiance in that point, and then, for the ending, I juggled again with the drums in a kind-of solo and tutti dynamic distribution, as with 1700s concertos - i.e. after the complete breakdown, where no drums or percussion are there at all in my mix, I made the various parts come in one at a time: first the loops, then the percussion and finally the whole thing. It sounded to me like a nice way to end it.

I removed the wobbly/distorted bass part because it just sounded bad to my ears. I may put it back in in a later version of this mix, who knows? :D Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2008, 13:00

Heh...this is pulled out from the archives, I see.   :)

The u-myx was an interesting thing anyway. And "Quicksilver" also was a good candidate for some tweaking. I didn't like, how it had all these interesting elements, but they were all looped during the whole song. Nothing stood out from the mix.

I also did a version of it basically by removing quite a lot of material. (Posted a remix of it about at the same time as this.)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
14 replies since Oct. 15 2005, 09:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net