Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Les Penning, ....where are you Les?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 15 2014, 01:06

I haven't heard the CD, so I don't know what tracks 8 and 9 actually are, but I see they're labelled as demo versions.

As a comment on that, I can only say the story of the recordings, as told to me by Les - I'm sure it's been told elsewhere by him, and possibly relayed by Perh as well, but this might at least give a bit of context.

The tracks are all tunes which Les and Mike used to play together at Penrhos Court, and the recordings were aiming to capture those for posterity (Les told me they were destined for an album to be released under his own name - Mike clearly felt he had some claim to them as well, though, as we all know what happened to Portsmouth and Argiers/Argeers! ). They were recorded in the living room at Througham on a cold winter's morning, using the Manor Mobile, the studio at Througham not being ready yet, and the basic guitar and recorder tracks were done as-live.

I say all that to highlight that it was both material that Mike and Les knew well, and that the session was aiming to capture the sound of the tracks as they'd rehearsed them, as opposed to them being tracks which they'd have felt the need to demo. That certainly makes the idea of there having been any demo versions less likely.

That's about all I know, though. I understand that Les has made comments about about the authenticity of those two extra tracks on Facebook, but I haven't seen those comments myself yet (though I understand that he's the source of the claim that they're fake).

In the same way, I've heard something second-hand about what I guess is the "Missed Versions at Dawn" release, but I know nothing about it. The 7 Througham tracks are all Les has ever told me about, so I'd be more than a little wary of any other material which is claimed to have come from him, unless he's there to back it up.

I hope this all comes to a satisfactory resolution - if some of what I've read is true, then the situation is even less pretty than it appeared to be back in February.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2014, 04:57

I am waiting to hear back from 'Magpie Records' (Not Perh) regarding a particular contract I had with them.

I have told them that I will hold off from giving the details of this contract to the wider world unless I hear back from them... Watch this space...

(I know.. I know.. it's vague, but I'm not a happy bunny...)
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: July 15 2014, 06:40

Quote (Milamber @ July 14 2014, 20:49)
Apparently tracks 8/9 are fake..looks like a lot of p*ssed off buyers out there.

Considering each CD was sold for 60€ (81USD), if 2 tracks out of 9 were fake, I can relate how buyers feel.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 16 2014, 14:36

Covenant, most probable you won't hear anything from him (Magpie). I must confess that I have not seen this thread before.... but I'm happy than ever about what we have done to unmask this cheater. Lost Sessions were more than an unhappy experience. The Missed ommadawn was just a crime.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: July 17 2014, 06:43

Quote (Nacho @ July 16 2014, 19:36)
Covenant, most probable you won't hear anything from him (Magpie). I must confess that I have not seen this thread before.... but I'm happy than ever about what we have done to unmask this cheater. Lost Sessions were more than an unhappy experience. The Missed ommadawn was just a crime.

Actually, no...
I heard back from them yesterday.
:)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 17 2014, 17:49

Why all the cloak and dagger talk? What is going on with this release, and what are the details of the "fake" tracks?
Profile PM WEB 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: July 17 2014, 20:27

Quote (GusFogle @ July 17 2014, 17:49)
Why all the cloak and dagger talk? What is going on with this release, and what are the details of the "fake" tracks?

Regarding 'Througham Slad's Lost Sessions', CD contains 9 tracks.

Tracks 1-7 were recorded by Les Penning and Mike Oldfield and remain on a tape, never lost, but mostly unreleased. Actually, 'Algiers' and 'Portsmouth' came directly from there. Yes, the songs and the recordings we all know. Thus it makes 5 unreleased (short) tracks never heard until now. Around 11 minutes of music.

Then, tracks 8 and 9 are two fake demos. They are just Algiers and Portsmouth heavily filtered (tune, pitch, quality, etc) to create a blatant fake.

Buyers of this CD actually paid 60€ for 5 unheard songs by Mike and Les. However, Leslie Penning pointed out recently that he has NOT seen a single penny from that. It seems Les was another victim from this so-called Perh.

And then there's the story of the fake Ommadan Lost Tapes he was distributing recently (acording to some sources, 12-14€ each CD-R). I haven't heard it, but the people I know who did hear it say it's a preposterous fake.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 18 2014, 03:19

That clears things up. Thank you!
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 18 2014, 05:23

Quote (crises1980 @ July 17 2014, 20:27)
[quote=GusFogle,July 17 2014, 17:49]

However, Leslie Penning pointed out recently that he has NOT seen a single penny from that. It seems Les was another victim from this so-called Perh.

... and I thought it was a Les Penning project. It's not fair.
So now I want to listen to the tracks but don't want to spend 60 € or more. I wonder why you can't find the track online...
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: July 21 2014, 04:40

Hello All!

Right - No excuses this time...
due to the recent unpleasantness I was contacted by Les who has offerred an interview for the Oldfield Special Radio Shows...

So: Does anyone have any questions they would like answered?
You will of course get a shout out if your question is used! And I will also be playing all of the Througham Sessions album again for those of you who missed it.

maybe i should start a new thread on this..... :D
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: July 21 2014, 05:26

I was wondering if Les would agree to try release those tracks (excluding Argiers and Portshmouth) in vinyl format (maybe 10"?) though a crowdfunding campaign that would cover the production expenses and some money for Les, of course. I'm thinking of a nice coloured vinyl with a fine elegant sleeve plus download code of the tracks. These crowdfunding campaings are somewhat audited by someone and thus Mike Oldfield fans would be able to get some tracks that otherwise would remain unheard (or just flowing in bad mp3 rips) and Les would get some compensation after that recent scam.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: July 22 2014, 04:43

Quote (crises1980 @ July 21 2014, 10:26)
I was wondering if Les would agree to try release those tracks (excluding Argiers and Portshmouth) in vinyl format (maybe 10"?) though a crowdfunding campaign that would cover the production expenses and some money for Les, of course. I'm thinking of a nice coloured vinyl with a fine elegant sleeve plus download code of the tracks. These crowdfunding campaings are somewhat audited by someone and thus Mike Oldfield fans would be able to get some tracks that otherwise would remain unheard (or just flowing in bad mp3 rips) and Les would get some compensation after that recent scam.

Les is currently in discussion with Tom Newman......

:)
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: April 25 2015, 11:48

Can anybody tell me if how to get 'Througham Slad's Lost Sessions' on CD or download ? Thanks :-)
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2016, 07:05

Found him again!

https://twitter.com/ProgMagazineUK/status/801030407764451328

http://teamrock.com/feature....elerion

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2016, 02:52

I really like the new version of Portsmouth :)
Profile PM 
orbscure Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2016, 14:13

Many thanks for the heads-up, just ordered the CD/DVD via Robert Reeds website here  :)

--------------
Author "Music from the Darkness - Mike Oldfield 1953-1993"
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2016, 11:13

Check out this lovely interview with Les, talking about playing and recording with Mike :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miam9c75Z3Y
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2016, 11:22

I can wholeheartedly recommend Les' album, Belerion.  I recently met him (at the Rob Reed Sanctuary concert) and he's a thoroughly nice guy.  He mentioned that he had an album coming out and I ordered it expecting it to be, for want of a better phrase a 'bland, whistly' sort of collection.

How wrong I was.  It has a stunning version of Portsmouth along with a real variety of other tunes and Les can be rightly proud of what he has achieved with this.  It's well worth a listen and, with Rob Reed's style being very (and unashamedly) Oldfield-esque, should appeal to the majority on this forum.

As an aside, Rob Reed's Sanctuary and Sanctuary 2 are also well worth a listen.

Nige
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2019, 12:00

In case you didn't know (and I just found out myself), Les has a new CD out with Rob Reed next month called Return to Penrhos (shades of "Return to Ommadawn" there!;). On Rob Reed's website there are a couple of samples up and you can pre-order it.

Seems to be a nice little package, including a map and a guide to the area.

I know opinions of Rob Reed vary (personally, I think he has a few nice tunes but he's too obviously derivative of Mike to take wholly seriously - although I totally respect what he's trying to do) but in Les' case at least, it's great to see a thoroughly decent and accomplished musician finally getting a bit of mainstream recognition and the chance to shine with new original material.
Profile PM 
38 replies since Aug. 20 2008, 15:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net