Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Least Favourite Discovery Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 09:00

"Poison Arrows."

Re: "Saved by the Bell" -- I have to like it--too many astronomical references. :) Actually, I have used it for a pre-program at least once (before an astron. talk, sometimes I like to have a bit of space-music, though normally wouldn't use that) and one time I passed it along to a friend looking at all the astronomical references in songs for a talk he was preparing for Stellafane (a large astronomical/telescoping making convention in the US). I suppose that "Won't you like to look through my telescope?" could be a great pick-up line at celestial observing sessions (er...star parties). :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 09:09

Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 14 2005, 09:00)
"Poison Arrows."

Re: "Saved by the Bell" -- I have to like it--too many astronomical references. :)

That's part of the problem for me: the title of the track is too easily confused with that annoying TBS sitcom with Screech and the rest of the gang. You illustrated it by inadvertantly using the sitcom title "...The Bell" instead of the actual Oldfield song name "...A Bell"

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 19:13

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 14 2005, 08:09)
That's part of the problem for me: the title of the track is too easily confused with that annoying TBS sitcom with Screech and the rest of the gang. You illustrated it by inadvertantly using the sitcom title "...The Bell" instead of the actual Oldfield song name "...A Bell"

Haha!  That was annoying, indeed! Ya...I realized that today my mistake....took Discovery along on my road trip. :D  There are also several silly things in it astronomically speaking that I ignore....for one thing, if you're going to look at the Milky Way as a whole, looking at it through a telescope isn't very helpful--it's too expansive. Also...galaxies don't shine like bright diamonds--they're kinda fuzzy, e.g., Andromeda or the Magellanic Clouds--which you can see unaided--as well as those that you can only see through a scope. Jupiter and Saturn aren't going to spin by--well, of course they spin, but in a telescope...hmmm...the best way to describe it is that they drift through your field if you don't have a clockdrive (if you have one and the scope is properly aligned, they stay put for the evening). I could go on, but I'd rather go for pizza..... (well, it's nearly ready...)  Io: the pizza moon (speaking of Jup). Yum. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 19:38

My birth sign is saggitarius, and it gets a mention. No, in a very cheesy way I like Saved, and i always think of the video clip with the rope lights at viareggio (i think)..yet more cheese.

For many many years this was the album that was the final straw for me. I stopped buying the albums and gave up hope. But eventually this grew on me and i returned to the fold, just in time for Amarok.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 03 2010, 12:32

I'm really surprised to see that Saved By a Bell is the least favorite for the majority. For me, it's one of the most genius song he ever composed, a rare gem that could only comes from Mike.

My vote here goes for Tricks of the Light. I like this song, but if we have to choose the least good, it's this one for me.

Ans the best is The Lake, without a doubt.
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 11:54

What's "In The Pool" ?   :O

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 12:20

Quote (Ridge Van Hergest @ Sep. 09 2010, 11:54)

B-side of the to france single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX_Wv_n7bdE

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 13:25

Quote (Ridge Van Hergest @ Sep. 09 2010, 11:54)

Some old leaves and dead insects mainly.

Where is that pool cleaning dude?!?!

Oh, sorry, is that not what you meant?   :D

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 21:40

To France" - the melody seems forced, and the lyrics seem awkward in relation to it. But I don't care much for the whole album; I prefer Earth Moving. Perhaps the album should have been called Ommayawn.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: May 08 2018, 07:09

Oh no... "Saved by a Bell" is good...

I have enjoyed it (last autumn), and since then many times I have felt the desire to listen to it again. It' s not silly, just Mike was in a special (good) mood at the time, in which I wish I enter listening to it. Innocence is not silliness... It's rather wisdom.

I actually am here to defend "Saved by a Bell" (btw "To France" is just perfect for me), but, since the topic requires me to be mean, I have to say that, as far as I remember, I have never understood "Crystal Gazing". I don't get it. (Perhaps the time has not come. Not yet. What usually happens is that Mike really knows and waits for me to...  discover things.)
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: May 08 2018, 08:37

To France, the 1 I skip both on this album & on compilations, actually downloaded album to iphone without the track.....
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: May 08 2018, 09:05

"To France"! Are you serious people? :)  :)
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: May 10 2018, 06:23

Feel it is unfair to vote for "In The Pool", as by its' nature, it's a throwaway track, a "B" side, not on the original album & included as a bonus on the re-issue.

Plus - I think it is great !
Profile PM 
32 replies since April 13 2005, 11:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net